From: r...@unixg.ubc.ca (Robert Bruce Prior)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Wordperfect for X-Windows
Date: 15 Jun 1994 20:18:37 GMT

Question to all of you who have tried downloading the Demo WP from
ftp.wordperfect.com and running it on your faithful Linux box...

When I start the demo from the stock demo shell script, I get the error
(in it's own box, titled "Error (1)"), "Could not create a new process --"
with an "OK" box at the bottom.  Clicking on OK returns me to WP with no
problems, and the program runs *great* after that, but I am still left
wondering what it is trying to do that it can't... And if it could be a
problem with my system?

I am running Linux 1.1.18 and the ibcs emulator dated 940526 (might not be
26, it was the last one there from may, tho).  I did a 'make config' in
/usr/src/linux to see if ELF/COFF support was turned on, but there wasn't
an ELF/COFF option for me to select... Does this mean that it is now
built in by default?

So, anyone know how much WordPerfect for X-Windows costs retail?  :)  How
many thousands, that is?  :)

TTuL,
Rob

>Question to all of you who have tried downloading the Demo WP from
>ftp.wordperfect.com and running it on your faithful Linux box...

>When I start the demo from the stock demo shell script, I get the error
>(in it's own box, titled "Error (1)"), "Could not create a new process --"
>with an "OK" box at the bottom.  Clicking on OK returns me to WP with no
>problems, and the program runs *great* after that, but I am still left
>wondering what it is trying to do that it can't... And if it could be a
>problem with my system?

Not strange.  I had that error before, and I found out what it was, I
think.  The problem is I just can't remember!  Damn!

>So, anyone know how much WordPerfect for X-Windows costs retail?  :)  How
>many thousands, that is?  :)

I suppose you are in for a surprise.  How about under $295....
And if you already have an MS-"DOS" Wordperfect license, you can upgrade
to the Unix version for about half that or less.....  call 'em.
  | Mark A. Davis    | Lake Taylor Hospital | Norfolk, VA (804)-461-5001x431 |
  | Sys.Administrator|  Computer Services   | m...@taylor.infi.net           |

: >So, anyone know how much WordPerfect for X-Windows costs retail?  :)  How
: >many thousands, that is?  :)

: I suppose you are in for a surprise.  How about under $295....
: And if you already have an MS-"DOS" Wordperfect license, you can upgrade
: to the Unix version for about half that or less.....  call 'em.

Sorry, as a novice I would like to know how i can get it to work. Is it a
binary distibution, or is there source code inclunded? (I suppose from your
answers thaw WP _will_ run under Linux/X11).

Any help appreciated,

Sven

: Question to all of you who have tried downloading the Demo WP from
: ftp.wordperfect.com and running it on your faithful Linux box...

: When I start the demo from the stock demo shell script, I get the error
: (in it's own box, titled "Error (1)"), "Could not create a new process --"
: with an "OK" box at the bottom.  Clicking on OK returns me to WP with no
: problems, and the program runs *great* after that, but I am still left
: wondering what it is trying to do that it can't... And if it could be a
: problem with my system?

I do not have this proble, WP starts without a glitch but the screen is
filled with garbage. How did you go about  those corrupt fonts?

: I am running Linux 1.1.18 and the ibcs emulator dated 940526 (might not be
: 26, it was the last one there from may, tho).  I did a 'make config' in
I am running Linux 1.1.19 with iBCS dated 940614 (or close)

Cyrill Vatomsky         |      Home     :      1(408)479-1528          |
                        |      Gets     :      1(408)464-0556          |
                        |      Fax      :      1(408)464-0558          |
                        |      Internet :      cyri...@netcom.com      |

>: >So, anyone know how much WordPerfect for X-Windows costs retail?  :)  How
>: >many thousands, that is?  :)

>: I suppose you are in for a surprise.  How about under $295....
>: And if you already have an MS-"DOS" Wordperfect license, you can upgrade
>: to the Unix version for about half that or less.....  call 'em.

>Sorry, as a novice I would like to know how i can get it to work.

You must install and use the COFF/IBCS code for Linux.  Then follow the
included "hack" instructions for loading up WP for Unix.

> Is it a
>binary distibution, or is there source code inclunded?

Most all commercial software is in binary form.  Otherwise, people would
just steal the code.

>(I suppose from your
>answers thaw WP _will_ run under Linux/X11).

Apparently, yes.  With some hacks....