Subject: Heidelberg meeting report.
From: Eric Youngdale (eri...@cais.cais.com)
Date: Jul 5, 1994 3:48:21 am
List: fi.hut.niksula.linux-activists.ibcs

	I am now home (and a bit jet-lagged) after having gotten back from
Heidelberg (Note the time of this post - I have been up for 3 hours now :-).
All in all, the meeting was an incredible success - there were 350 seats
available and these quickly sold out and they reportedly turned away another
300 people.  All of the talks were standing-room only, and there is already
talk of another meeting next year in Berlin.

	This is not really related to iBCS2, but there was a beta version of a
Linux-native version of Maple on a machine that people could try out.  I have a
handout that they were giving out, but it is in German, so I cannot say that
much about what they were saying :-).

	It is not obvious at all in the English-speaking world, but a German
computer user benefits from a much greater coverage of linux in the media.
This month's issue of iX (a German Unix magazine) has an article written by
Drew about the PCI driver, and an article by Bob Amstadt about Wine.  I
understand that they have been running about one article a month for the past 6
months or so.  A second magazine, C't, has also been running about 1 article
per issue lately.  In addition, there are a number of books available.  I
walked down the main pedestrian street in Heidelberg and came across a store
that sold computer stuff - in the front display window, clearly visible from
the street, there were 3 linux books plus the yggdrasil cdrom.  One of the
books, written by Thomas Uhl and Stephan Strobel, has been translateed into
English by Springer, and will soon appear in the U.[S,K]. market.  This book is
a basic introduction for the new user, so other more advanced books would also
be required for a new English-speaking user.  The other two German books for
linux were more advanced - one contained a bunch of man pages translated into
German, and the other one had to do with kernel internals.

	Pictures were taken of the developers present, and JPEG files should
become available soon :-).

	One thing that became clear fairly quickly was that there is a lot of
interest in iBCS2 within the user community.  I gather that a lot of people are
trying binaries of one sort or another, and a lot of these are never formally
reported to us even if the binaries work perfectly.  Also, there was a machine
set up with both the demo versions of WP and Xess running - this was the first
time I had seen either program.

	Anyway, I now have a few more specific comments.  I may have forgotten
some, but whatever I forget I can pick up again later.

	1) Someone wanted to know about the performance of WP under Linux as
compared to the performance of WP under SCO.  He was concerned about slowness
of scrolling the screen under X, but this could be because it was a slow
machine that the demo was running on.  Is there someone who has seen this both
under Linux and SCO on similar machines who would care to comment?

	2) Linus actually asked me about the status of the IPC patches, and he
wants to see them at some point.  If there are political problems with the
previous author of the linux IPC code, I think we can simply go ahead and
submit the patches to Linus and let him take the heat.

	3) The Xess demo was reportedly dumping core every so often.  Have
other people observed this?  No idea why, but there may be an emulation problem
somewhere.  If the problem is IPC, it just points the finger in the appropriate
direction for us to work.

	4) What exactly is the situation with COFF shared libraries.  I applied
some patches about a month ago from some people - does this basically fix all
of the known problems, or are there other issues that remain to be solved?

	5)  It has been suggested that the iBCS2 emulator is of higher quality
than the "ALPHA" label would suggest.  Given the large number of people
(silently) using it, I would tend to agree.  Once IPC is taken care of, I would
propose that we go ahead and make it beta.  I have already asked Ted T'so for a
BETA directory on tsx-11 so that it will be there when we need it.

	6) One user of a copy-protected SCO program said that the dongle that
came with the program did not work while running the program with iBCS2 under
Linux.  Not surprising, I suppose, since the dongles tend to do very strange
things that could be timing related.  He was jokingly suggesting setting up a
machine under SCO running as a dongle server.

-Eric