From: mdor...@mallet.tiac.net (michael alan dorman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.development
Subject: Linux on multiple processors?
Date: 20 Sep 1994 13:38:02 GMT

I was wondering if this has been considered as a possible development
goal, now that the Intel multiprocessing hardware spec has been
standardized?

I know that MP (and specifically SMP) is sort of "trendy" these days
(vis. NT and OS/2 SMP), but the particular application for which I am
considering using Linux as a platform (dialin Internet host, web server,
fairly high volume) seems to me to be one for which SMP might give
good results--or at least make it easier to stave off the purchase of
a second machine.

So is this being considered, or at least batted around as a possibility?

Or has it already been hashed out and discarded?  I refuse to think that
it hasn't occured to anyone but me.

Mike.

>considering using Linux as a platform (dialin Internet host, web server,
>fairly high volume) seems to me to be one for which SMP might give
>good results--or at least make it easier to stave off the purchase of
>a second machine.

For a web server which does spread easily between machines a pile of old
386SX's with 2-4Mb of RAM is very cost effective for the job.

Alan

--
  ..-----------,,----------------------------,,----------------------------,,
 // Alan Cox  //  iia...@www.linux.org.uk   //  GW4PTS@GB7SWN.#45.GBR.EU  //

>: I know that MP (and specifically SMP) is sort of "trendy" these days
>: (vis. NT and OS/2 SMP), but the particular application for which I am
>: considering using Linux as a platform (dialin Internet host, web server,
>: fairly high volume) seems to me to be one for which SMP might give
>: good results--or at least make it easier to stave off the purchase of
>: a second machine.
>: So is this being considered, or at least batted around as a possibility?
>The HURD (the GNU OS) will (or is planing to) support multiprocessing
>(through the Mach-kernel)

For Linux doing none to smart (initially) SMP is being played with at the
concept level here (pending possible hardware donations). Some other people
'viper' are working on making the Linux kernel truely threaded but that is
a much bigger project.

Alan

--