From: mi...@mcs.com (Mike Young)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: So... WHY Linux???
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 1994 19:22:04

This is not a flame.

Why Linux instead of NT, or something else? I spent the better part of last
week -- more than 40 hours I'm certain -- trying to get Linux configured.
Things are coming along; I now have X, sound, some nifty dev tools, DOOM, and
... hmm, I think that's all. Until I get PPP configured, I still go into
windows to get my mail, read the news, blah, blah, blah. My LJ4 still isn't
configured yet, but that's only a matter of time and reading.

I'm slowly coming to the realization that I can tinker around with Linux, but
I need to get into Windows to get anything useful done. Why is this? Last
night, I installed NT 3.5 workstation in less than 20 minutes. It updated my
old version without the slightest hitch or hiccup. Five minutes later, RAS is
configured to dial into my PPP internet account, and I'm up and running. All
my old familiar tools are here, and I everything works with each other. (And I
didn't have to make the kernel even once. Config changes? It's got a gui.)

So, I ask myself, what on earth do I want to do with Linux? It's a technical
marvel, no doubt about that, but what am I going to do with it? When it's all
tuned and configured, then what? Will I then be the envy of my peers?
Probably not.

I could take it, slap it onto my wife's old 486-25, put that in a closet, and
have a super cool comm and printer server. Why, I could even set it up as a
super, super slow node hanging off my provider's net. Maybe put some cool
servers on it, set up an ftp area for some obscure hobby. The possibilities
are endless...

How about this: I'll learn to program X, and give up my consulting
practice with ms windows.

---------

Why are you tinkering with Linux? Are you getting anything useful done? Aside
from tons and tons of really really cool FREE software that runs well on
really old hardware, what is there on Linux that I can't do as well in, say,
NT?

Again, this ain't no flame, but my skins pretty thick and I can take the heat.
Why Linux?

Mike.

>Why Linux instead of NT, or something else? I spent the better part of last
>week -- more than 40 hours I'm certain -- trying to get Linux configured.
>Things are coming along; I now have X, sound, some nifty dev tools, DOOM, and
>... hmm, I think that's all. Until I get PPP configured, I still go into
>windows to get my mail, read the news, blah, blah, blah. My LJ4 still isn't
>configured yet, but that's only a matter of time and reading.
>
>I'm slowly coming to the realization that I can tinker around with Linux, but
>I need to get into Windows to get anything useful done. Why is this? Last
>night, I installed NT 3.5 workstation in less than 20 minutes. It updated my
>old version without the slightest hitch or hiccup. Five minutes later, RAS is
>configured to dial into my PPP internet account, and I'm up and running. All
>my old familiar tools are here, and I everything works with each other. (And I
>didn't have to make the kernel even once. Config changes? It's got a gui.)

Obviously you'd rather the use the system than hack on it. If that's
the case, then by all means use Windows NT or something else. Linux is
here for those of us who want the power and flexibility of a complete,
free UNIX system, and who like to do the hacking required to set it up and
use it.

It's like owning and maintaining a motorcycle. Why bother with a motorcycle,
when a family sedan is much more comfortable, roomier, and easier to drive?
Sure, you can't take it on dirt roads, and it's not much fun to floor on a
desert highway, but it requires very little upkeep on your part and it's
easy to find trained professionals to service it should something go wrong.

People who ride and maintain motorcycles, however, usually do it as
a hobby, and they like the openness and feeling of speed. Sure, it requires
a bit more work, and it's more dangerous, but it's also less expensive in
the long run and a lot more fun.

Linux is very much a motorcycle in that sense, and NT a family sedan.
Take your pick.

I get a much better sense of accomplishment from, say, upgrading from
X11R5 to X11R6 by hand, rather than from flipping diskettes and letting
Microsoft do all of the work. I really appreciate my X server, because
not only is it free, but I had to do some dirty work to get it configured
correctly.

If you'd rather take a back seat to systems administration, and if you
don't mind shelling out the big bucks to "upgrade", and don't mind not
having the ability to modify any part of the system yourself, much less have
the source code, go right ahead and use NT. In my opinion all of
the above benfits far outweigh any actual work that you might have to
do to get Linux running.

mdw