From: y...@mhv.net ()
Newsgroups: comp.unix.solaris,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.unixware,
comp.unix.xenix.sco,comp.unix.pc-clone.32bit
Subject: Multi-Tasking on a PC
Date: 2 Nov 1994 03:14:54 GMT

I though I posted this earlier, but it didn't seem to make it,
so I'll try again:

We're looking to start a small network of UNIX servers to provide
some services over the Internet.  With the cost and performance of Pentiums
these days, its hard for me to justify to my small firm that we need
a mainstream RISC workstation instead of a couple of Pentiums.
I have some very general, ill-formed questions.  I would
appreciate any discussion or comments that would help me (or similar others)
make a better informed decision.

	1) How reliable are the current versions of UNIX on PCs?
	I know lots of people use Linux et al on PCs with a single
	user, but I'd like to hear from somebody who has had experience
	in a situation where hundreds of processes were running
	concurrently, since this is what would be happening to us.
	Did the OS hold up ok, or were there problems?

	2) On most architectures you get the vendor's UNIX and that's
	it.  On PC's you have a real choice.  How to choose?  Does
	anybody have empirical opinions about one PC based
	UNIX vs another?  I am currently interested in Linux and
	Solaris.  Linux obviously has advantages of in that its free
	and the source code is available.  Solaris is SysVR4 (for
	better or worse).  What about other things?  (I don't even
	know what other things...)  Performance?  Support?

	3)  Published SPECmarks seem to show Pentiums being
	comparable to or better than low end RISC workstations,
	but Pentiums are a lot cheaper.  Does this hold up
	in practice?  Yes, I know the answer is "it depends
	on what you're doing", so when does it hold up and
	when doesn't it?

	-Bruce

[...]

I'd say that UNIXWARE v1.1 is actaully very stable and reliable these days.

: 	2) On most architectures you get the vendor's UNIX and that's
: 	it.  On PC's you have a real choice.  How to choose?  Does
: 	anybody have empirical opinions about one PC based
: 	UNIX vs another?  I am currently interested in Linux and
: 	Solaris.  Linux obviously has advantages of in that its free
: 	and the source code is available.  Solaris is SysVR4 (for
: 	better or worse).  What about other things?  (I don't even
: 	know what other things...)  Performance?  Support?

(My opinion) Linux is not compatable with packages written for the other
Unix OSs out there. Solaris is still buggy (so I've heard) and SCO is
just expensive. I've picked UNIXWARE myself.

: 	3)  Published SPECmarks seem to show Pentiums being
: 	comparable to or better than low end RISC workstations,
: 	but Pentiums are a lot cheaper.  Does this hold up
: 	in practice?  Yes, I know the answer is "it depends
: 	on what you're doing", so when does it hold up and
: 	when doesn't it?

As with any machine, the I/O seems to be the bottleneck these days. I'd
recommend getting a motherboard with VLB or PCI, and then getting an I/O
board for the VLB or PCI bus that runs your disks, serial, video, etc.

Good luck!
-JWW

comp.unix.xenix.sco,comp.unix.pc-clone.32bit
>	3)  Published SPECmarks seem to show Pentiums being
>	comparable to or better than low end RISC workstations,
>	but Pentiums are a lot cheaper.  Does this hold up
>	in practice?  Yes, I know the answer is "it depends
>	on what you're doing", so when does it hold up and
>	when doesn't it?

I think diskIO on the Pentiums falls behind that of RISC workstations -
and any machine on the internet will be doing lots of diskIO

larry
--
Larry Snyder, System Adminstrator, GatorNet Internet Connectivity
Lake Mary (Orlando), Florida

comp.unix.xenix.sco,comp.unix.pc-clone.32bit
>: 	1) How reliable are the current versions of UNIX on PCs?
>: 	I know lots of people use Linux et al on PCs with a single
>: 	user, but I'd like to hear from somebody who has had experience
>: 	in a situation where hundreds of processes were running
>: 	concurrently, since this is what would be happening to us.
>: 	Did the OS hold up ok, or were there problems?

>I'd say that UNIXWARE v1.1 is actaully very stable and reliable these days.

I'm glad you suggest Unixware 1.1 since I am considering it as well.

>: 	2) On most architectures you get the vendor's UNIX and that's
>: 	it.  On PC's you have a real choice.  How to choose?  Does
>: 	anybody have empirical opinions about one PC based
>: 	UNIX vs another?  I am currently interested in Linux and
>: 	Solaris.  Linux obviously has advantages of in that its free
>: 	and the source code is available.  Solaris is SysVR4 (for
>: 	better or worse).  What about other things?  (I don't even
>: 	know what other things...)  Performance?  Support?

>(My opinion) Linux is not compatable with packages written for the other
>Unix OSs out there. Solaris is still buggy (so I've heard) and SCO is
>just expensive. I've picked UNIXWARE myself.

I agree.  Plus SCO is based on 3.2 Unix and has limitations..

>: 	3)  Published SPECmarks seem to show Pentiums being
>: 	comparable to or better than low end RISC workstations,
>: 	but Pentiums are a lot cheaper.  Does this hold up
>: 	in practice?  Yes, I know the answer is "it depends
>: 	on what you're doing", so when does it hold up and
>: 	when doesn't it?

>As with any machine, the I/O seems to be the bottleneck these days. I'd
>recommend getting a motherboard with VLB or PCI, and then getting an I/O
>board for the VLB or PCI bus that runs your disks, serial, video, etc.

who's board and what buss are you using for your Unixware Server?

larry