From: wo...@rbg.informatik.th-darmstadt.de (olav woelfelschneider)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Linux is cool, man!
Date: 6 Nov 1994 20:44:45 GMT

I've coupled a thermometer to my cpu and experienced an interesting effect:
under Linux, the cpu is around 31-33 degrees Celsius (88-91F), while under
Windoze, even when the machine is totally idle (screen blanked with the
'blank screen' screensaver), the temperature is between 47-50C (117-122F).

I guess this is because Linux idles by doing hlt's, while Windoze performs
busy waiting.

Btw, its an i486DX2/66(the mask revision with the & sign) with a small fan.

just found this rather amusing, again an argument for Linux,
 Olav
--
/=====================================+======================================\
| Olav "Mac" Woelfelschneider         | wo...@rbg.informatik.th-darmstadt.de |

: I've coupled a thermometer to my cpu and experienced an interesting effect:
: under Linux, the cpu is around 31-33 degrees Celsius (88-91F), while under
: Windoze, even when the machine is totally idle (screen blanked with the
: 'blank screen' screensaver), the temperature is between 47-50C (117-122F).

: I guess this is because Linux idles by doing hlt's, while Windoze performs
: busy waiting.

: Btw, its an i486DX2/66(the mask revision with the & sign) with a small fan.

This is the best message I've seen all day ;-).  Windows is a nervous wreck.

Drew