From: jame...@CSOS.ORST.EDU (James Bielman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Graphical Design Policy and the Future of Linux/X
Date: 2 Jan 1995 22:21:12 -0800

design policy.

	I like Linux. In fact, I like it a lot. I would also venture
to say that I like UN*X, and X, in general. Many people out there,
especially in this group, and myself, retain the beleif that Linux
and the XFree86 project can do much for the computing community. I
would classify it as a goal of mine to make this valuable resource
available to as many people who want it as possible. And I hope there
are others out there who share this goal. (Please contact me if you
do.)

	First, a little background on myself. I am a hacker. And, being
a hacker, I use Linux. Not an uncommon thing. I can remember, after many
hours of waiting for the Slackware X diskset to crawl in through
my 2400 BPS modem, booting up XFree86 and thinking to myself that
this was one of the ugliest looking GUIs I had ever laid eyes on.
Note that this is *not* an attack against any of the XFree86 authors,
nor the original writers of X at MIT. There seems to be a general
feeling in the UN*X community that it doesn't need to look good,
as long as it works. Well, that may be very well and good in the
name of productivity, but it doesn't help convice people that Linux
is on the cutting edge of OS technology. Granted, as I've heard many
times, Linux is written for hackers, by hackers, but that doesn't
mean it can't look good too.

	Maybe I've just been looking in the wrong places, but as
far as I can tell, all we seem to be offered is the MIT Athena
Widget set. As this document is being written, I'm downloading the
Xaw3d libraries of ftp.x.org to try those out. Other than those, is
there anything else? I used to be a Motif programmer, and I'm sure
you can imagine my suprise when I saw the Xaw programs compared to
the Motif ones I had written. But, of course, Motif is commercial,
and I have yet to see a free substitute(is there one?). The only
solution then, would be to write it my/ourselves. I am willing, but
unfortunately not yet able. My knowledge is relatively thin in this
area, certainly if a new standard is to be defined. We need to give
people who are used to MS Windows and the Mac OS a reason why they
should leave their nice pretty little interface. You can say "It's
more powerful", as much as you want, but if it looks like it's been
written by a hacker, they'll think that it should be used by a hacker.

BTW, if anyone out there would like to discuss this further, please
e-mail me. Especially someone more experienced with Xlib and/or Xt.
Thanks for your time.

-=- James Bielman -=-
Internet: jame...@csos.orst.edu

	"Ignorance is MSDOS"
	"War is Windows"
	"Freedom is Linux"

		-- Me

: 	First, a little background on myself. I am a hacker. And, being
: a hacker, I use Linux. Not an uncommon thing. I can remember, after many
: hours of waiting for the Slackware X diskset to crawl in through
: my 2400 BPS modem, booting up XFree86 and thinking to myself that
: this was one of the ugliest looking GUIs I had ever laid eyes on.
: Note that this is *not* an attack against any of the XFree86 authors,
: nor the original writers of X at MIT. There seems to be a general
: feeling in the UN*X community that it doesn't need to look good,
: as long as it works. Well, that may be very well and good in the
: name of productivity, but it doesn't help convice people that Linux
: is on the cutting edge of OS technology. Granted, as I've heard many
: times, Linux is written for hackers, by hackers, but that doesn't
: mean it can't look good too.

The german team producing GREAT agrees with you (least thats what I
thought). They are producing an integrated environment desktop with
pretty icons, drag and drop, transparent networking, integrated apps,
etc etc etc. It sits upon Linux/X and uses Motif or FVWM for windows.
I dragged a version off sunsite:/pub/Linux/BETA/GREAT recently and
was fairly impressed.

: 	Maybe I've just been looking in the wrong places, but as
: far as I can tell, all we seem to be offered is the MIT Athena
: Widget set. As this document is being written, I'm downloading the
: Xaw3d libraries of ftp.x.org to try those out. Other than those, is
: there anything else? I used to be a Motif programmer, and I'm sure

Athena? blah... youll want to look at OpenLook which IMO is far nicer
for programming and produces nice output. Its not as good as Motif,
but far better than Athena. Is anybody working upon a Motif looking
widget library? The biggest problem Ive encountered with Motif apps
is they are all statically linked for legal reasons. This makes GREAT
baloon from 1mb to 6mb (ridiculous) and Netscape from <1mb to >2mb.