From: phiber@PROBLEM_WITH_INEWS_DOMAIN_FILE (Mark Abene)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.unix.unixware
Subject: Re: Linux .vs. Novell's unixwares
Date: 18 Jan 1995 08:45:44 GMT

: 	And now for the other side of the coin.

: 	UW has come a long way since version 1.0. In its current
: 	form it is ROCK stable and has a vastly improved hardware
: 	compatibility list, including all the latest and greatest
: 	video hardware. Version 2.0 has been announced and should
: 	be available for GA in March.

: 	--Corey

"ROCK stable"?  Let's not exaggerate.  Sure, more stable than 1.0.

Question: Why are the out-of-the-box tuneable parameters so unrealistically
tiny?  And so poorly documented?  Two of the most important types of
tuneables, i/o buffer and inode cache, are so poorly documented
that it makes me wonder.  It would help if we were told what units we
were dealing with.  Cubits?  Widgets?
I don't appreciate having to look for clues in include files, I'm busy
enough.  And then, that only gets one so far.

And right now, I'm dealing with mysterious i/o glitches causing hangs,
after upgrading from 1.0 to 1.1.2 + ptf's.  I'm pissed and tired.

Is there a DEFINITIVE and highly DETAILED technical description of the
tuneable parameters, from either AT&T or Novell?  And I don't mean the
terse and useless descriptions in "Advanced System Administration", or
"System Performance Tuning".  I mean the REAL DEAL.

--
Mark Abene - SysAdmin of Echo BBS and Public Access Internet Site, NYC
phi...@echonyc.com

>Question: Why are the out-of-the-box tuneable parameters so unrealistically
>tiny?  And so poorly documented?  Two of the most important types of
>tuneables, i/o buffer and inode cache, are so poorly documented
>that it makes me wonder.  It would help if we were told what units we
>were dealing with.  Cubits?  Widgets?

More to the point WTF aren't they dynamic. Kernels shouldn't need tuning
and shouldn't have static settings anyway because whats right in the middle
of a busy day is sure wrong when everyone is reading news in the evening.

>And right now, I'm dealing with mysterious i/o glitches causing hangs,
>after upgrading from 1.0 to 1.1.2 + ptf's.  I'm pissed and tired.

Alan

--
 // Alan Cox  //  iia...@www.linux.org.uk   //  GW4PTS@GB7SWN.#45.GBR.EU  //