From: sahlb...@fe.uni-bremen.de (Juergen Sahlberg)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: What's going on with iBCS2 support ?
Date: 2 Feb 1995 12:58:27 GMT

Hello Linuxers,

I haven't seen any *REAL* stuff from the iBCS developers in the mailing list
or in c.o.l.x since the last release in November. The mailing list only seems
to have "subscribe" mails. There are loads of complaints in any newsgroup about
errors and problems using the iBCS-module (i.e. stat(), mkdir(), missing
structures for the new sockets allocation handling, undefined symbols). It is
quite embarrassing to work with it, especially since it is again broken with
1.1.8x and the user supplied "quick'n dirt

ches don't work correctly with some applications (and of course they're broken
again with latest kernels). I know, it is *BETA*, but would rather consider it
pre_alpha for some issues at the moment. *BETA* software should at least compile
without problems and do the basic things.
iBCS2 support and it's ability to run commercial software is one *MAJOR* issue
for Linux to break into the *REAL* world of computing as long as there is no
standard ELF support and/or native Linux software.

Don't misunderstand me: Linux is *GREAT* as a development tool for internal and
perhaps even external use. We do use it for our research in industrial robotics
and simulation. We'll encourage our students to use it as a base for programming.
But there is the need for "standard" software, from SQL-databases to CAD systems
and from spreadsheets to drawing programs and wordprocessors  (and in my case
discrete event simulation software). Without any native commercail products you'll
have to use existing

 binaries (SCO etc...).

Sorry for this "flame" (especially as I'm not able to support this project myself
for technical reasons), but I'd like to see this project step on (or at least here
the foottaps of the developers :-) AND MOSTLY I'D LIKE NATIVE SOFTWARE FOR LINUX-ELF !

--
Greetings from Beck'sTown, Germany,

Juergen

| For more information on our departments research activities, lectures, jobs |
| etc. have a look at our new WWW-service:    http://www.fe.uni-bremen.de/    |

JS> I haven't seen any *REAL* stuff from the iBCS developers in
JS> the mailing list or in c.o.l.x since the last release in
JS> November.

The last release was 9th December. It's on tsx-11.mit.edu in
/pub/linux/BETA/ibcs2.

JS> There are loads of complaints in any newsgroup about
JS> errors and problems using the iBCS-module (i.e. stat(),
JS> mkdir(), missing structures for the new sockets allocation
JS> handling, undefined symbols).

They are all the same too. The scoket changes are monkey see, monkey do. The
undefined symbols are monkey see, monkey do. I have no evidence of stat() or
mkdir() problems other than a report from someone that "they don't work".

JS> I know, it
JS> is *BETA*, but would rather consider it pre_alpha for some
JS> issues at the moment. *BETA* software should at least
JS> compile without problems and do the basic things.

And what would you classify the latest bleeding edge version of the
developer's kernel? It is not reasonable to expect beta software to
magically support the latest alpha kernels on release. It is reasonable to
assume that anyone attempting to test the latest developers' kernel has the
most basic abilities in patch reading and C.

JS> Sorry for this "flame" (especially as I'm not able to
JS> support this project myself for technical reasons), but I'd
JS> like to see this project step on (or at least here the
JS> foottaps of the developers :-)

Feel free to contribute in other ways. My main development machine is a
386-33 with 4MB. I do not have SVR4 at all. I have access to a pitifully
restricted range of applications. I cannot afford to buy lots of kit.