From: 6848...@LMSC5.IS.LMSC.LOCKHEED.COM
Newsgroups: comp.os.coherent
Subject: iBCS2
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 95 14:02:57 PST

Hello:
I saw a thread about iBCS2.  I thought I would get my two cents in.
A few months ago I used the infomagic CD and used linux 1.0.9
to use iBCS2.  I was able to run the old COBOL compiler for SVR3
but couldn't link.  With all the talk about unix belonging to USL
and then to NOVELL and then to whatever, too bad they can't allow
linux to have compatible libraries to link with.

I suppose coherent had to pay SCO or ATT to get their libraries.
Is this correct?  Who needs to be payed to get the "rights" to
SCO compatible libraries so that I can do warped things like linking
SCO binaries under linux?

Go ahead flame me for asking about something related to linux.
I started with good intentions, intending to relate to the other
incoherent users that yes, you can run the compiler for SCO, but
you can't link.  So go ahead, run wordperfect and other stuff, but
toss your old linker stuff.

I just had a warped idea.  Could someone with iBCS2 copy coherent
libraries and link to them under linux?

Compiling a systemV/386 COBOL program and linking to coherent libraries.
Warped.  I think I'll pass...

Chris Mason
"The Unknown COBOL Programmer"
The opinions expressed are mine, not my Employers.
      6848...@lmsc5.is.lmsc.lockheed.com
LMSC5:  Tons of Beautiful Big Blue Iron...

> I saw a thread about iBCS2.  I thought I would get my two cents in.
> A few months ago I used the infomagic CD and used linux 1.0.9
> to use iBCS2.  I was able to run the old COBOL compiler for SVR3
> but couldn't link.  With all the talk about unix belonging to USL
> and then to NOVELL and then to whatever, too bad they can't allow
> linux to have compatible libraries to link with.
>
> I suppose coherent had to pay SCO or ATT to get their libraries.
> Is this correct?  Who needs to be payed to get the "rights" to
> SCO compatible libraries so that I can do warped things like linking
> SCO binaries under linux?

No. They wrote their own (mostly) compatible libraries.

"The locus of computing has clearly moved from  | Fred Smith        BIX: fredex
 the useful manipulation of information to the  | fre...@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
 painting of icons and the tracking of mouse    |          Home: 617-438-5471
 balls." Stan Kelly-Bootle, Unix Review, Feb '95|          Office: 508-663-2524

Newsgroups: comp.os.coherent