From: jxmi...@borg.uswc.uswest.com (Jeff Miller)
Subject: Why do you care about Linux?
Date: 1995/05/16
organization: U S WEST Communications
newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Hello, fellow Linux people!

I am very new to Linux. Last friday, I checked out a copy of "Using Linux"
(with CD-ROM distribution included) from my company and installed it over
the weekend on my P-90. Things went reasonably smooth, and I was able to
get booted up in multi-user mode within a few hours. I got stuck for a
while trying to get X configured, but eventually that came around also, and
as of Sunday night I was really rocking!

My challenge for tonight is to get Seylon working. When I start it, I get
a popup saying that it can't talk to the modem. Oh well, one more thing
to figure out.

Now, on to the topic of this post. I have lurked here for a while, and am
curious about this whole notion of Linux "advocacy". My perception was that
Linux is self-justifying, which is to say that it was written because the
(many) people who wrote it wanted to. But here there is all sorts of talk
about "Linux vs Mac" and "If we just had a good WP program" as though the
average computer user would *ever* use Linux! Without engaging the debate
over Linux vs Win3.1, I am puzzled as to why the question is even being asked.

From my experience this weekend, I can say with a great deal of confidence
that Linux will have to be simplified an enormous degree before comparisons
between it and Mac or Windows are even meaningful. I use the 'mother' test.
My mom bought a PC a while back to do typical PC stuff: light word processing,
personal finance, etc. She is the prototype non-techie person. It is just
out of the question to think she could have installed Linux. No way.

Someone in another post noted that CD-ROM distributions of Linux are flowing
out of the bookstores at the rate of 30,000 per month. This is great, but
I suspect that combined Win3.1 and Mac sales are still pulling away at a
substantial rate.

So, what is the future of Linux? Not the generic home market. It doesn't
solve that market's needs. The business market? No way. Businesses look
for things that Linux can't (by its very nature) provide. Things like
risk minimization and corporate stability. The attraction of Linux, its
low cost, is not relevent.

But Linux has a bright future with people like me. Professional computer
people who want a Unix installation at home. I think its great, but I would
never think of debating its merits as compared to 'mainstream' OS's.

Jeff Miller
jxmi...@borg.mnet.uswest.com