From: ham...@border.ocunix.on.ca (Hamish Macdonald)
Subject: Announcement of patch 1 for version 1.2.10 of Linux/68k
Date: 1995/06/21
sender: n...@border.ocunix.on.ca (News Owner)
x-nntp-posting-host: localhost
organization: The Linux Border
newsgroups: comp.unix.amiga

This message announces the availability of the first patch for version
1.2.10 of Linux/68k.

It can be ftped from directory /pub/linux/680x0/v1.2 at
tsx-11.mit.edu.  A diff file can be found in linux-1.2.10pl1.diffs.gz,
and the full source in linux-1.2.10pl1.tar.gz.

As you can probably guess, this version of Linux/68k is "compatible"
with version 1.2.10 of the PC version of Linux.

BEFORE RUNNING THIS KERNEL, CAREFULLY READ EVERY PART OF THIS
ANNOUNCEMENT, AND PLAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE *EXT2FS* SECTION.
ALSO LOOK AT THE ANNOUNCE-* FILE FOR 1.2.10.

Notes:

    1) This kernel *cannot* be used with existing 0.9 ext2fs
       filesystems without "fixing" them.  See *EXT2FS* below.

    2) This version is distributed as source only.

    3) Andreas Schwab has made this work on his Atari TT.

    4) While I've compiled in every Amiga option, this kernel has only
       been tested on my 68030 A3000, so the only drivers tested are
       the OCS graphics, the keyboard, the A3000 SCSI driver, the SCSI
       disk driver, the Amiga serial port driver and the PPP network
       interface.

    5) The Amiga/Atari code in this distribution is pretty much
       equivalent to that in the 0.9pl7 distribution of Linux/68k, plus
       Andreas' "megapatch".

    6) This kernel has included Jes Degn Soerensen's patch for the
       68040.

    7) If you don't have the ELF gcc installed, you'll have to modify
       arch/m68k/Makefile to change the "CC" and "LD" variables to
       remove the "-b m68k-linuxaout" and "-m m68klinux" flags.

The amiboot-1.11.gz "bootstrap" program for the Amiga can be used to
boot this kernel.  I use amiga-lilo 0.3 to boot this kernel also.  I
haven't tried version 0.4 yet.  Note that amiga-lilo 0.3 seems to have
problems booting kernels of 700k in size.

I've created a new ramdisk image to be used with this kernel.  It is
in filesys-1.2.gz in the v1.2 directory.  The most interesting
programs in this filesystem from a v1.2 point of view are the
/sbin/fsck.ext2, /sbin/mkfs.ext2 and /sbin/update programs.
/sbin/fsck.ext2 and /sbin/mkfs.ext2 are versions of the e2fsprogs-0.5b
which *must* be used with v1.2 of Linux/68k.  See *EXT2FS* below.
/sbin/update is the "bdflush" daemon some of you may have heard about.
It gives better disk buffer writing performance than the existing
/sbin/update program.  Note that /sbin/update will only do the
"bdflush" business on a 1.2 system, but can be used as a replacement
for /sbin/update on older (v0.9) systems also.

*EXTFS*:

   When I first created Linux/68k (and the ported the ext2fs
   filesystem) I made a bad decision about the implementation of the
   linux kernel bit operations for the m68k.  I made them
   little-endian when they should really have been big-endian.  I have
   rectified this mistake in v1.2.  The bit-operations are big-endian,
   and the ext2fs filesystem uses these bit operations.  This means
   that the inode and block bitmaps of existing ext2fs filesystems
   *cannot* be used by the v1.2 kernel.  If you want to use existing
   filesystems, you must boot the 1.2 ramdisk filesystem, and run the
   /sbin/fsck.ext2 program on every ext2fs filesystem you intend to
   use with the v1.2 kernel.  Note that after running the new
   fsck.ext2 on these filesystems, they cannot be used by v0.9 kernels
   unless you run the v0.9 fsck.ext2 on them.  If you wish to create a
   *new* ext2fs partition to use with v1.2, use the mkfs.ext2 on the
   1.2 ramdisk filesystem.

The patches required to e2fsprogs-0.5b to support Linux/68k v1.2.0 are
found in e2fsprogs-0.5b.diffs.gz in the v1.2 directory.