From: r...@clark.net (Ryan Rafferty)
Subject: Time for a 64-bit LINUX
Date: 1995/07/03
content-type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=ISO-8859-1
organization: Clark Internet Services, Inc., Ellicott City, MD USA
mime-version: 1.0
newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc

since 1992, Linux was the only OS to fully take advantage of the 386/486
32-bit capability (I don't really count Windows).  The 386 was a
technology that had been around since 1987 at least; it took 5-YEARS for
a decent OS to come out that handled the new 32-bit capability.

Now, however, the limit has been pushed up again, by the 64-bit
capability of the Pentium.  At the same time, while Linux fulfilled its role
for 32-bit
Intel machines beautifully,  it is being ported to all sorts of new,
powerful platforms like Suns, ALPHAs,and PowerPC's, all of which are more
powerful than the original i386 platform Linux was designed for.  And
because the versions of Linux for these other platforms has been designed
to take full advantage of their respective capacities, I feel the Intel
version of Linux may be in danger of gradually becoming obselete even as
Linux for other architectures come to the fore!

Thus, I ask of the Linux community wether or not it is a good idea to
begin a new project for Linux--creating a 64-bit version of Linux for the
new line of Intel platforms.  This new version would possibly cause a
rift--binaries from 32-bit Linux would be incompatible with the new
64-bit version, though any source code could be recompiled.  Also,
the original intent of Linux was to provide an advanced OS that
would work with any 386 or better.  However, the
advantage would be in maintaining the vitality of the Linux project as a
whole.  The new version would take full advantage of P5 piping and 64-bit
addressing capabilities, and anything else the Pentium can do that I
don't know of (but would be willing to learn).  This would keep Linux on
the cutting edge of techonology, as it was when the 486 was the top of
the line.

Please let me know how you feel about this proposal.  If the primary goal
should be to provide binary backwards-compatibility, then Linux is fine
as it is on its current path.  If people feel there is a need for a Linux
upgrade, then I would be willing to coordinate the project (it would be a
GREAT learning experience).

Ryan Rafferty

r...@takara.clark.net
r...@clark.net