From: torva...@cc.Helsinki.FI (Linus Torvalds)
Subject: Re: Linux on dual pentium 90?
Date: 1995/09/14
sender: torva...@cc.helsinki.fi
references: <436vo0$bbj@solaris.cc.vt.edu>
content-type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
organization: University of Helsinki
mime-version: 1.0
newsgroups: comp.os.linux.hardware

In article <436vo0$...@solaris.cc.vt.edu>,
Regis Will < rw...@sps1.phys.vt.edu> wrote:

>does linux support dual processor mother boards
>taking advantage of both processors?
>THis question has probably been beat to death
>but I have not the resources to currently read
>the faqs on the latest kernels. Thanks.

The standard kernel won't use two processors, but you might want to try
contacting Alan Cox to see if he wants alpha-testers.  He tells me he
runs doom etc on Linux/i386-smp, and I do have a slightly old patch-set
to do that..

SMP support will probably be part of the standard kernel in the
not-too-distant future (like a few weeks).  It's currently using the
simple "one large lock" approach, so it's not optimal, but it's probably
good enough for dual-cpu setups.  And as usual, first versions may not
be very stable.

(SMP will be a compile-time config option, so that people without SMP
machines won't take the performance hit from it on UP machines, in case
people are worried.)

		Linus