From: ca...@terptavern.umd.edu (Arcadio A. Sincero)
Subject: Is Motif worth getting?
Date: 1996/01/29
organization: The Terp Tavern
reply-to: l...@wam.umd.edu
newsgroups: comp.os.linux.development.apps

I just saw another ad in the Linux announce newsgroup for a $99 Motif clone
(MoTeeth .. funny name :-)).  It looks like getting Motif is becoming
cheaper and cheaper.  I'm wondering, is it worth getting?

I haven't spent a dime on Linux or Linux development tools so far.  Which is
why I'm hesitant to shell out for Motif.  'Tho I'm still learning Linux
coding, I do plan on eventually getting into X Window development.  Should I
just stick with XView or go with Motif?

XView is free.  But it's dieing out (or so I was told).  And it doesn't look
as pretty as Motif (IMHO).  But because it's free and most good Linux
distributions have it, you can freely distribute non-statically linked
binaries of your programs.

Motif looks really slick.  But it's a pig!  And because it's commericial, if
you wanna distribute your apps you gotta give 'em statically linked
binaries.  However, I was told Motif is gonna be the way things are in the
future.

Opinions?  Comments?  Should I or shouldn't I get Motif?  Should I just wait
'till they finish LessTif (but from what I hear, I'll be waiting a very long
time for that :-))?

Arcadio Alivio Sincero, Jr.
Sophomore, Computer Science Major at the University of Maryland at College Park
Amateur competitive bodybuilder
Email: l...@wam.umd.edu, WWW: <still working on it!>

"In the darkest hole; You'd be well advised; Not to plan my funeral;"
"Before the body dies."