From: j...@presto.med.upenn.edu (Joe Smith)
Subject: sensible reason to avoid Linux
Date: 1996/03/20
sender: j...@presto.med.upenn.edu
organization: University of Pennsylvania
newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Well, I finally heard an argument against using Linux that actually
made some sense.  Here it is in a nutshell:

    Solaris/x86 is <$100 (educational).  Why fiddle around with
    Linux when you can run 'real Unix'.

Sure, that's single-install (what's the regular price?); no
compiler(s); much less bundled software (TeX, Perl, emacs...).  But
you do get CDE and it comes in a nice cereal box with 'Sun' all over
it (gives most folks a warm fuzzy feeling).

For people who are technical enough to need Unix, but don't want to
hack, this seems pretty reasonable.

Anybody who's had experience with both care to comment?

<Joe
--
 Joe Smith
 University of Pennsylvania                   j...@presto.med.upenn.edu

organization: University of California, Los Angeles

In article <m2wx4fg...@presto.med.upenn.edu>, Joe Smith wrote:

>Well, I finally heard an argument against using Linux that actually
>made some sense.  Here it is in a nutshell:
>
>    Solaris/x86 is <$100 (educational).  Why fiddle around with
>    Linux when you can run 'real Unix'.
>
>Sure, that's single-install (what's the regular price?); no
>compiler(s); much less bundled software (TeX, Perl, emacs...).  But
>you do get CDE and it comes in a nice cereal box with 'Sun' all over
>it (gives most folks a warm fuzzy feeling).
>
>For people who are technical enough to need Unix, but don't want to
>hack, this seems pretty reasonable.
>
>Anybody who's had experience with both care to comment?

	Haven't I heard somewhere that there is a possibility of Linux
becoming "real UNIX" in the not-too-distant future?  Please correct me
if I'm wrong on this.

><Joe
>--
> Joe Smith
> University of Pennsylvania                   j...@presto.med.upenn.edu
> Department of Physiology
> Philadelphia, PA 19104

                        Arthur Dikran Jerijian
         UCLA Undergraduate, Computer Science and Engineering
            E-mail until June 1997: jeri...@seas.ucla.edu
          World Wide Web: http://www.seas.ucla.edu/~jerijian