From: System Manager <sys...@readysoft.es>
Subject: Linux support denial in commercial products?
Date: 1996/08/13
sender: owner-linux-ker...@vger.rutgers.edu
content-type: multipart/mixed; boundary="------------3636771D2D47"
x-hdr-sender: sys...@readysoft.es
mime-version: 1.0
x-env-sender: owner-linux-kernel-outgo...@vger.rutgers.edu
newsgroups: linux.dev.kernel

Hi all. Sorry for the long message but I think it's worth to think about
this...

To my surprise I've found that many commercial apps developers refuse to
develop Linux versions of their products. Who and why? Here's the list
I've built so far:

------>	GNN & AOL

-there are versions of the GNN Server for Linux running fine. They
incorporate a pthreads library of their own
-I attach a message explaining why they're no longer supporting their
Linux port. A problem related to kernel threads questioning clone
fairness

------>	Ilustra database

-they say they'll never support Linux. Too many problems with changing
kernel sources. Not enough stability for them.

------>	Excite

-They had announced a Linux port of their search engine. They've changed
their opinion and there won't be a Linux version

------>	Netscape

-Thay also had suported Linux since the start. One of their main
arguments to beat Explorer is that they are multiplatform. Linux is not
supported in their last version.

Not to mention products like Oracle and Informix that would be nice to
have at least the opportunity to choose.

I'm pretty sure that there are more, but I've not had the need for them.
Why is this happening? Any logical reason?

If we want Linux to become an even better alternative to commercial OS
we need to be able to compete also in commercial apps land. How can we
pretend to build business applications if we can't run commercial
databases? Possible but more difficult.

IMHO we should take actions to enforce that people to port their
products. But I don't mean putting pressure on them, but listen to their
arguments and give them answers. That can only benefit us.

My first-choice OS is Linux and I don't like not being able to run some
apps. I know the sentence: "Let's build the best database and make it
GPL'd". I'm also for that, but it should take less effort and would be
commercially better to start running those products.

Comments?

Pau
TravelNet System Manager

>> At 05:39 AM 8/9/96 -0400, Antoni Pamies wrote:
>>
>> >P.S.: When will 2.1 be out for Linux ?
>>

>> There are presently no plans for a 2.1 port to Linux, FreeBSD, or SunOS
>> (that's SunOS 4.1.x, not Solaris which is supported).  These three ports
>> rely on a third party beta implementation of Posix threads which is quite
>> buggy, making the port very difficult.
>
>        I noticed that the GNNServer includes it's own pthreads lib and
>does not use the pthreads libs that are "built-in" to the lastest Linux
>libs.  Since pthreads package is "built-in" to the lastest Linux 2.0 libs
>does that make it "third party" now?  Did the integration help with
>stability?  Maybe requiring a certain libs version for GNNServer will help
>out.  Also, Linux 2.0 has some sort of threading built into the kernel.  I
>saw something to the effect of "clone".  I don't know the low-level stuff
>really well, but I though I'd ask.  I work with both Solaris and Linux.  I
>really like some of the features the Linux kernel provides.  Good stuff.

First of all, Linux is definitely "good stuff".  Nothing has done more to
bring Unix out of the universities and big business and into the hands of
ordinary people than Linux.  This is good because, while I have no fear or
hatred of NT, I think competition is good and Linux is playing an important
part keeping NT from sucking up the entire low end server market.

As for the GNNserver, my understanding is that the pthreads library included
in Linux 2.0, like that used in the GNNserver, is a modified version of the
MIT pthreads library:

        http://www.mit.edu:8001/people/proven/pthreads.html

There are two problems with MIT pthreads:

1.  Since pthreads isn't really integrated into the system, code written
with pthreads is typically incompatible with code written with the standard
libraries and header files.  This is why, for example, compiling the
postgres driver isn't a simple matter of typing make - you need to compile
against the pthreads libc and header files.

2.  MIT pthreads is riddled with bugs.  We had to make several important bug
fixes just to get the GNNserver to run reasonably well.  A continuing
problem is that the select() system call is hopelessly broken.  In 2.0 we
could get around this problem but 2.1 uses select() even more.

When we did the 2.0 port we had hopes the pthreads bugs would be fixed and
the library properly integrated into Linux in time for the 2.1 release.  I
even sent a long list of bug fixes to the author of pthreads.
Unfortunately, I received no response and, as far as I can tell, the
pthreads effort at MIT has all but stopped.  For example, the "late breaking
news" page above hasn't been modified since November of 1995.

>        Will there be a GNNServer for Linux 2.0 when ptheads gets more
>stable?

Perhaps, but Linux will have to come a long way to convince me it's capable
of a true multithreaded application like the GNNserver.  I did look at the
kernel sources to the "clone" system call.  Clone *can* be the basis of
kernel thread support in Linux.  In fact, it is very similar to the SGI IRIX
"sproc" system call which we use for the Irix port.  However, the clone call
itself is insufficient for a complete pthreads library.  At a minimum you
need mutexes and condition variables - perhaps easy to implement and
something the GNNserver development team could do - but this would siphon
off resources from more important and interesting problems (for example,
Java support, an Oracle driver, ISAPI, etc.).  Basically, we wanted the
Linux port to work as well but right now I just can't justify the level of
effort required.

What I am doing is strongly suggesting all Linux and FreeBSD users upgrade
to Intel Solaris.  Intel Solaris is a fully supported platform which
includes an excellent, kernel based threads library.  In fact, SunSoft
reaffirmed it's commitment to the Intel platform just yesterday (see press
release below).

Reminder:  Now is a great time to buy Intel Solaris.  Just $995 for Solaris
2.5 plus the Workshop development environment.  You can also try Intel
Solaris for free.  Check out:

        http://www.sun.com/sunsoft/Products/x86.html

Cheers, -Jim

 Jim Davidson               | ji...@sb.aol.com
 GNNserver Project Manager  |
 America Online Inc.        |
 511 Bath Street            | Voice: (800) 529-9166
 Santa Barbara, CA 93101    | Fax:   (805) 899-4316