From: ve...@vcn.bc.ca (Rick Hu)
Subject: Linux/SCO binaries interchangable?
Date: 1996/08/23
organization: Vancouver CommunityNet
newsgroups: comp.unix.sco.misc

Are the elf binaries in Linux and Sco work with each other? I'm asking
because the other day I downloaded the final release version of netscape3.0
and noticed that the binaries were of the same elf type as the ones used on
my linux system.

Thanx..

: Are the elf binaries in Linux and Sco work with each other? I'm asking
: because the other day I downloaded the final release version of netscape3.0
: and noticed that the binaries were of the same elf type as the ones used on
: my linux system.

Elf is only format of executables etc.. The SYSTEM CALLS are different..
I don't know how it is going in Linux 2.0 with SCO's ELFs, but old
Linux can run SCO's COFF binaries.

: Thanx..

--
Sincerely Yours,
				Sanny Sanoff

>: Are the elf binaries in Linux and Sco work with each other? I'm asking
>: because the other day I downloaded the final release version of netscape3.0
>: and noticed that the binaries were of the same elf type as the ones used on
>: my linux system.
>
>Elf is only format of executables etc.. The SYSTEM CALLS are different..
>I don't know how it is going in Linux 2.0 with SCO's ELFs, but old
>Linux can run SCO's COFF binaries.

The current Linux plus the iBCS module can run both COFF and ELF SCO
binaries (plus binaries for a whole host of other SVR3/4 Unices). You
will need the SCO ELF shared libraries though. A replacement for the
SVR4 ELF libc.so.1 exists but SCO's system call table, errno values
etc. are different.

  Running Linux binaries under SCO is possible to add in theory but the
method Linux uses in invoke system calls is different from that used by SCO.
Gemini will probably involve much of the work to support multiple
system call tables and the like (although they may do this in the libraries
rather than the kernel and sod statically linked ELF) but it would take
a positive decision by SCO to add the low level stuff needed to handle
a Linux style system call.

  Since I don't work for SCO I have no idea what they are actually
going to do to merge OS5 and Unixware.

|  Mike Jagdis                  |  Internet:  mailto:m...@roan.co.uk   |
|  Roan Technology Ltd.         |                                      |
|  54A Peach Street, Wokingham  |  Telephone:  +44 118 989 0403        |