List:       axp-redhat
Subject:    Does axp-Linux run OSF executables?
From:       "Robert Williams" <bob () bob ! usuf2 ! usuhs ! mil>
Date:       1996-09-06 9:39:06

Might it be possible to run executables
compiled on an OSF/DEC Unix Alpha,
or to use libraries (such as DXML)
under axp Linux?
--
from Bob Williams, mailto:bob@bob.usuf2.usuhs.mil

List:       axp-redhat
Subject:    Re: Does axp-Linux run OSF executables?
From:       "Harald Koenig" <koenig () tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       1996-09-09 10:08:54

> Might it be possible to run executables
> compiled on an OSF/DEC Unix Alpha,
> or to use libraries (such as DXML)
> under axp Linux?

yes for most static binaries this works fine and even using the
dynamic bianries using the DEC Unix shared libs and /sbin/loader
works most for most programs (of course the latter is only legal if you
have a DEC Unix license for your Linux/AXP box...)

Harald
--
All SCSI disks will from now on                     ___       _____
be required to send an email notice                0--,|    /OOOOOOO\

> yes for most static binaries this works fine and even using the
> dynamic bianries using the DEC Unix shared libs and /sbin/loader
> works most for most programs (of course the latter is only legal if you
> have a DEC Unix license for your Linux/AXP box...)

Would a DEC Unix license be required to link
DEC libraries from a linux machine via an NFS mount
to a licensed DEC Unix Alpha?  DEC folks, are you
listening?

--
from Bob Williams, mailto:bob@bob.usuf2.usuhs.mil