From: root <ro...@zlob.org>
Subject: SCO Free OpenServer and Linux
Date: 1996/11/08
content-type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
organization: Demos Plus Co.
mime-version: 1.0
newsgroups: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
x-mailer: Mozilla 3.01b1 (X11; I; Linux 2.0.22 i486)

Hi everybody!
Recently I got a lincense on SCO Free OpenServer R5. I know that it has
Motif and WABI on it, the two things I'd like to run on my Linux box.
The problem is that SCO uses some weird installation software, which,
unlike nice Slackware distribution doesn't have the tar and gz files,
instead there is a directory called archives, in which there is a bunch
of very long binary files. They look like archives, but I don't
understand their format, and they don't have any extension.
Would anyone with similar problems/solutions post the answer?
				Ilya

x-nntp-posting-host: baumhouse.demon.co.uk
references: <3283BEED.3BCC1FC3@zlob.org> <562qkr$3ia@miriam.fuller.edu>
newsgroups: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc

Hi,

I have had absolutely no success running SCO binaries that use shared
libraries; I simply cannot get the programs to find the libraries.

Does anyone know how to accomplish this?

Daniel Baum

Christoph Lameter (clam...@miriam.fuller.edu) wrote:
: root (ro...@zlob.org) wrote:
: : Hi everybody!
: : Recently I got a lincense on SCO Free OpenServer R5. I know that it has
: : Motif and WABI on it, the two things I'd like to run on my Linux box.
: : The problem is that SCO uses some weird installation software, which,
: : unlike nice Slackware distribution doesn't have the tar and gz files,
: : instead there is a directory called archives, in which there is a bunch
: : of very long binary files. They look like archives, but I don't
: : understand their format, and they don't have any extension.
: : Would anyone with similar problems/solutions post the answer?

: get ibcs and then copy the binaries for pkgadd. Read the manpage on the CD
: and then use pkgadd to install the software.
: --
: {}    FISH Internet System Administrator at Fuller Theological Seminary       {}
: PGP Public Key  =  FB 9B 31 21 04 1E 3A 33  C7 62 2F C0 CD 81 CA B5