From: Joerg Stoepel < j.stoe...@marketingsystems.de>
Subject: Linux / Solaris /NT on Dual Pentium ?
Date: 1996/11/21
sender: owner-linux-new...@vger.rutgers.edu
x-sender: jstoe...@mail.arkaden.net
content-type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
x-hdr-sender: j.stoe...@marketingsystems.de
mime-version: 1.0
x-env-sender: owner-linux-newbie-outgo...@vger.rutgers.edu
newsgroups: linux.dev.newbie

Hello out there,

There is a little chance, that I get at work a Dual Pentium with 96MB, 2x4GB
SCSI, CDROM etc. all one is dreaming of ! It has installed a 2.4 Version of
Solaris, it shall be a NT server and I wish to exchange Solaris with Linux.

The Harddisks are full of data, there is an (unknown DAT) tape, the data
must be preserved.

- Can I run Linux on a dual P166 ? If Yes which version
- Can I preserve the Harddisks, can I access them from Linux (get a3rd disk)
- Can I use LILO, NT Bootmanager to switch the OS
- Is there a chance to run Solaris apps under Linux ?
  (there is WABI, Informix, Motif)

I'll have to do some development, maybe Fortran (yes, that's a high price
for the machine), all things that can be done with Linux.
The machine will be integrated in our company's network (NT-based, but with
TCP/IP and some direct access to our ISP)

Before I start grabbing, any suggestions are welcome.

        Thanks Joerg