From: 00...@williams.edu (Jason Healy)
Subject: Linux or Solaris
Date: 1997/01/25
organization: Williams College, Williamstown, MA
newsgroups: comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
summary: linux or solaris for web serving

Good day, I have a quick question that I hope people can give me their
thoughts on.

We have just obtained a new server for our organization; it is a Pentium
Pro 200 with 128MB of RAM and 8GB of online storage. We will be running
it as a WWW/FTP server, as well as a UNIX shell account server for a few
hundred users. We currently have a choice between Linux or Solaris 2.5
for the flavors of UNIX that we might put on the machine.

What should we go with? I keep seeing threads about TCP/IP problems in
solaris on this newsgroup, as well as the nickname "slowaris" for the
software. However, some people here seem to think that Linux not being
commerical software will cause it to have problems.

Please assume that Solaris does not cost us anything, that we have equal
expertise in both flavors, and that we will be running Apache as our web
server. Are there any arguments for one flavor over the other?

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Jason Healy | If you're the type of person who reads
Jason.B.He...@williams.edu | .sig files all the way to the end,
http://wso.williams.edu/~jhealy/| then I'm afraid you're going to be