From: "John R. Chaffer" <jrc...@jrchaff.seanet.com>
Subject: LINUX - Pathetic Toy
Date: 1997/01/26
content-type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
organization: (Self)
mime-version: 1.0
reply-to: jrc...@jrchaff.seanet.com
newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
x-mailer: Mozilla 3.0 (Win95; U)

I am writing this from Microsoft Windows 95 / Netscape - it is
one of the Many Many things that I can do MUCH EASIER and
BETTER from any one of several MS / Borland or other systems
in the DOS/WINDOWS world, than in the absurd world of
interlaced nonsense called Linux/Unix.

A knowledgeable programmer said a while back,

" UNIX: a singularly user-unfriendly, but otherwise mediocre,
operating system."

The same is true, in spades, of Linux.

I am a professional engineer, with many miles of computer programming
experience. It is sad and unfortunate that the latest people to
be hoodwinked into the Unix nonsense (a spinoff of too many tax-
supported do-nothings in the fault-tolerant and unreal world
of academia) are the technical firms silly enough to waste time
and money paying for experts to get linux "systems" working,
and to make them do mundane, trivial things like not crash,
print documents, etc. Really sad.

My experience with linux is now some 8 months old, I have read nearly
all the major books, have an extensive X library, and I have never
seen such a compendium of disorganized nonsense in my entire life.
It is literally true that nearly every new task in linux is a
(very unpleasant) head-banging uphill climb of a painful learning
experience, along the way of which one is constantly admonished
not to bother the busy people who wrote the nonworking, nonintegrated,
nonfaulttolerant, nonprofessional garbage which passes as software,
with stupid questions like, "can you give me a few WORKING tutorial
examples please ?" - there are some examples associated with
Linux/GNU "programs", but many simply don't work at all as listed.
Example: the syntax coloring in the xemacs sample .emacs file.
Another example: the utter frustration and foolish time-wasting
task of trying, somehow, to get decent wysiwyg printing on linux;
since many "program" writers insist on publishing guides/manuals
in Postscript, (another expensive, difficult to use environment),
the Ghostscript program is available - but just try getting it to
work to print technical graphs --- hahahahahaha.

All of these things WILL work (I take your word for it...)
but the learning curve is so steep and time-wasting, that the
price is too high.

I am not a Microsoft fan - or rather, I wasn't.  But the world
of computing - including Scientific computing - is SO MUCH easier
and SO MUCH higher quality in that world than here, that my
comment to those who seriously believe in linux is simple:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..
how foolish you all are.
jr