From: Marco Benton <mben...@ibm.net>
Subject: Apache 1.2 with Dual-Processor Intel System
Date: 1997/04/06
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix

I have been trying to get Apache to run on a dual-processor
Linux system!? I compiled in SMP support with kernel 2.0.18.
I compile Apache with Proxy module support... the Linux system works
fine until i run httpd. the httpd daemon runs but soon as i access the
web page on that system, the whole system hangs!? the only way i get
Apache to work is to use a non-SMP kernel.

I have tried CERN proxy server on the same system with the SMP kernel
and it works flawlessly!? i beat the crap out of it and it never
crashes.

Does anyone have Apache working in this configuration? or am i missing
some kernel option? or is this even supported?

>I have tried CERN proxy server on the same system with the SMP kernel
>and it works flawlessly!? i beat the crap out of it and it never
>crashes.
>
>Does anyone have Apache working in this configuration? or am i missing
>some kernel option? or is this even supported?

2.0.14-19 or so have a deadlock in the SMP kernel when doing very large
amounts of file locking and process exiting. Upgrade to 2.0.27 or 2.0.29
and your apache will be totally happy. Oddly apache was about the only
thing it showed up in.

Alan
--
Alan Cox, Technical Director, CymruNET Ltd: Email: A...@cymru.net