From: n...@arkansas.net (Network Operations Center)
Subject: Linux vs. SCO - SCO losing
Date: 1997/05/16
Newsgroups: comp.unix.sco.misc

You know, when I first chose SCO as my operating system I was really
happy with its stability but it really *really* lacked in the speed
department.  I was running a USENET news server on a Pentium Pro 200
with 128M of RAM and SCO's virtual disk manager.  The machine was
completely dragging its ass and after a while (couple of months) I
started having problems.  I was indirectly informed that HPFS
(misnamed, if you ask me, as its not high-performance at all) didn't
scale well with partions above 2G in size.  Well.... I switched over
to DTFS w/ compression turned off but the server continued to drag its
ass.

Well, someone told me that Linux's ext2fs (of all things - can you
imagine, a freeware UNIX system in a commercial environment) was
fairly fast.  I figured I had nothing to lose so I switched.  Well, my
server is *hauling ass* now -- the load average which was hovering
around 2.0 in SCO with the processor being tied up 100% of the time
(15% sys, 5% usr, 80% wio!) is now happily humming around .02 with
the CPU only being tied up between 1-2% of the time.

Can someone please tell me why a commercial UNIX OS that I spent
over $1000 for runs like shit compared to a FREEWARE operating
system?!  I really want to know?  With Linux's iBCS module, I can
even run SCO binaries.  Why would anyone pay for SCO?

Anyhow, I've ranted and raved enough for one day.  I'm finally happy
with my USENET news server.  I must admit my SCO-based web and
mail server are running very  nicely (no crashes with an extremely
long uptime) but I bet if I switched those over to Linux they'd be
even faster!

> You know, when I first chose SCO as my operating system I was really
> happy with its stability but it really *really* lacked in the speed
> department.  I was running a USENET news server on a Pentium Pro 200
> with 128M of RAM and SCO's virtual disk manager.  The machine was
> completely dragging its ass and after a while (couple of months) I
> started having problems.  I was indirectly informed that HPFS
> (misnamed, if you ask me, as its not high-performance at all) didn't
> scale well with partions above 2G in size.  Well.... I switched over
> to DTFS w/ compression turned off but the server continued to drag its
> ass.

OK, I will speculate.  Firstly- you say you were are using the virtual
software RAID.  This will eat up a fair amount of time when doing disk
I/O.  I would NEVER recommend someone with lots of heavy machine load to
use virtual disk manager- you are asking the CPU/OS to do all the work
of what really should be left upto hardware (a RAID controller).  Did
you try any tests with this off?

> Well, someone told me that Linux's ext2fs (of all things - can you
> imagine, a freeware UNIX system in a commercial environment) was
> fairly fast.  I figured I had nothing to lose so I switched.  Well, my
> server is *hauling ass* now -- the load average which was hovering
> around 2.0 in SCO with the processor being tied up 100% of the time
> (15% sys, 5% usr, 80% wio!) is now happily humming around .02 with
> the CPU only being tied up between 1-2% of the time.

SO, I suppose you were NOT using virtual RAID on the Linux machine,
since that is not available.  Also, ext2fs *WILL* be faster than HPFS on
SCO, but keep in mind that HPFS is a journaling robust filesystem, and
ext2fs is not.

> Can someone please tell me why a commercial UNIX OS that I spent
> over $1000 for runs like shit compared to a FREEWARE operating
> system?!  I really want to know?

In my mind, your statements are totally unsubstantiated.  Why don't you
tell us your COMPLETE hardware configuration as a start.  Then, do you
have any benchmarks or tests to provide any objective data??

>  With Linux's iBCS module, I can
> even run SCO binaries.

You can run MANY SCO Binaries.  But not ones requiring any shared
libraries, unless you want to also buy SCO Unix.

> Why would anyone pay for SCO?

Duh- I think you better recheck the value of SCO Unix in regards to
centralized control, tighter standards, Motif, Merge, documentation,
journaling file systems, driver support, and the logic and flow of the
layout of the OS.  Plus, being commercial had other advantages, not the
least of which is firm support from commercial software producers (end
applications).

> Anyhow, I've ranted and raved enough for one day.  I'm finally happy
> with my USENET news server.  I must admit my SCO-based web and
> mail server are running very  nicely (no crashes with an extremely
> long uptime) but I bet if I switched those over to Linux they'd be
> even faster!

There is more in the world than just fast.  Yes, I believe Linux to be
faster for most things, but certainly nowhere NEAR the difference you
seem to be implying.  And yes, I use BOTH.

|   Mark A. Davis,  |Lake Taylor| Voice: (757)-461-5001x431 8-4:30ET |
|    Director of    | Hospital  | ma...@XXXtaylor.infi.net   to reply |
|Information Systems|Norfolk, VA| from USENET remove anti-spam "XXX" |