Tech Insider					     Technology and Trends


			      USENET Archives

From: Peter.Pilg...@it.newsint.co.uk
Subject: Booting Red Hat Linux 4 boot.img on AJP 6200 LapTop ? [Anybody]
Date: 1997/06/10
Message-ID: <865948304.4671@dejanews.com>#1/1
X-Deja-AN: 247453242
X-Http-User-Agent: Mozilla/3.0 (WinNT; I)
X-Originating-IP-Addr: 143.252.80.100 (thunder.newsint.co.uk)
Organization: Deja News Usenet Posting Service
X-Article-Creation-Date: Tue Jun 10 13:11:50 1997 GMT
X-Authenticated-Sender: Peter.Pilg...@it.newsint.co.uk
Reply-To: peter.pilg...@it.newsint.co.uk
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware




I am a systems developer normally using Solaris 2.4 etc

I just bought a win95 laptop computer [British, London
 made AJP 62-200M]. Does any have success installing Red Hat
Linux 4.1 on an AJP machine or similar. RH Linux came on the
May 1997 edition of Personal Computer World Magazine.

The message I get is :-

uncompressing linux ... done
now booting kernel
console: 16 point foint font, 400 scans
console: colour VGA ... 80x25
pcibios_init: BIOS 32 Service Directory Structure at 0x000ec050
pcibios_init: BIOS 32 Service Directory entry at 0xee600
pcibios_init: PCI BIOS Revision 2.10 at entry 0xee63e
probing PCI hardware.
warning: Unknown PCI device (1039:4107) Please read include/linux/pci.h

I am stuck! What else can I do? Any suggestions ?
I looked at the FAQ and I cannot find anything useful.

ciao

Peter Pilgrim
Systems Development,
News International, London, England

-------------------==== Posted via Deja News ====-----------------------
      http://www.dejanews.com/     Search, Read, Post to Usenet

From: peter.pilg...@it.newsint.co.uk
Subject: Re: Booting Red Hat Linux 4 boot.img on AJP 6200 LapTop ? [Anybody]
Date: 1997/06/12
Message-ID: <866108660.27601@dejanews.com>#1/1
X-Deja-AN: 247866686
References: <865957558.12764@dejanews.com>
X-Http-User-Agent: Mozilla/3.01 (X11; I; SunOS 5.4 sun4m)
X-Originating-IP-Addr: 143.252.80.100 (thunder.newsint.co.uk)
Organization: Deja News Usenet Posting Service
X-Article-Creation-Date: Thu Jun 12 09:44:26 1997 GMT
X-Authenticated-Sender: peter.pilg...@it.newsint.co.uk
Reply-To: peter.pilg...@it.newsint.co.uk
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.setup


In article <865957558.12...@dejanews.com>,
  Peter.Pilg...@it.newsint.co.uk wrote:
>
> Sorry it got posted to the wrong news group
> Dejanews does not recognise comp.os.linux.help for some reason.
>
> I am a systems developer normally using Solaris 2.4 etc
>
> I just bought a win95 laptop computer [British, London
> made AJP 62-200M]. Does anyone have success installing Red Hat
> Linux 4.1 on an AJP machine or similar. Maybe there is another
> person in the UK who has done this already.
> The Red Hat Linux came on the May 1997 edition of
> Personal Computer World Magazine.
>
> I made the boot disk with RAWRITE.EXE with \images\boot.img
> and restarted by computer and type return at the `boot:'
> prompt and let the LILO boot up. The final message I got
> happens to be :-
>
>   LILO ...
>
>   uncompressing linux ... done
>   now booting kernel
>   console: 16 point foint font, 400 scans
>   console: colour VGA + 80x25 1 x virtual console (max 63)
>   pcibios_init: BIOS 32 Service Directory Structure at 0x000ec050
>   pcibios_init: BIOS 32 Service Directory entry at 0xee600
>   pcibios_init: PCI BIOS Revision 2.10 at entry 0xee63e
>   probing PCI hardware.
>   warning: Unknown PCI device (1039:4107) Please read include/linux/pci.h
>
> I am stuck! What else can I do? Any suggestions ?
> I looked at the FAQ and I cannot find anything useful about
> PCI devices.
>
> Appreciated
>
> ciao
>
>   Peter Pilgrim
>   Systems Development,
>   News International, London, England
>
> -------------------==== Posted via Deja News ====-----------------------
>       http://www.dejanews.com/     Search, Read, Post to Usenet

I had one private e-mail from Micheal Ogden.

After searching dejanews with <pcibios_init> I found there are
many articles with the error Unknown PCI Device error,
but the boot continues and is regardlessly success with
the next message from the kernel
`Calibrating Delay Loop .. Bogomips'.

It is possible that I am barking up the wrong tree !
Nothing to do with PCI or BIOS32, perhaps.
Where could the kernel be failing ?
It just stops unforgivably and CTRL ALT DEL does not
break the loop.

I am really disappointed that Linux wont run on my new machine,
because I know from my previous work place what a _brillant_
little OS it really is.

I will try groking the redhat support website next.

Ciao

Peter Pilgrim

-------------------==== Posted via Deja News ====-----------------------
      http://www.dejanews.com/     Search, Read, Post to Usenet

From: Peter.Pilg...@it.newsint.co.uk
Subject: Booting Red Hat Linux 4 boot.img on AJP 6200 MMX LapTop ? [Anybody]
Date: 1997/06/13
Message-ID: <866195296.21191@dejanews.com>#1/1
X-Deja-AN: 248093545
X-Http-User-Agent: Mozilla/3.0 (WinNT; I)
X-Originating-IP-Addr: 143.252.80.100 (thunder.newsint.co.uk)
Organization: Deja News Usenet Posting Service
X-Article-Creation-Date: Fri Jun 13 09:48:21 1997 GMT
X-Authenticated-Sender: Peter.Pilg...@it.newsint.co.uk
Reply-To: Peter.Pilg...@it.newsint.co.uk
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux,uk.comp.os.linux.setup


Yes, I know that I forgot to post to the UK comp.os.linux, Sheez ---

From `comp.os.linux.setup'
In article <865957558.12...@dejanews.com>,
    Peter.Pilg...@it.newsint.co.uk wrote:
  >
  > Sorry it got posted to the wrong news group
  > Dejanews does not recognise comp.os.linux.help for some reason.
  >
  > I am a systems developer normally using Solaris 2.4 etc
  >
  > I just bought a Win95 laptop computer [British, London
  > made AJP 62-200M]. Does anyone have success installing Red Hat
  > Linux 4.1 on an AJP machine or similar. Maybe there is another
  > person in the UK who has done this already.
  > The Red Hat Linux came on the May 1997 edition of
  > Personal Computer World Magazine.
  >
  > I made the boot disk with RAWRITE.EXE with \images\boot.img
  > and restarted by computer and type return at the `boot:'
  > prompt and let the LILO boot up. The final message I got
  > happens to be :-
  >
  >   LILO ...
  >
  >   uncompressing linux ... done
  >   now booting kernel
  >   console: 16 point foint font, 400 scans
  >   console: colour VGA + 80x25 1 x virtual console (max 63)
  >   pcibios_init: BIOS 32 Service Directory Structure at 0x000ec050
  >   pcibios_init: BIOS 32 Service Directory entry at 0xee600
  >   pcibios_init: PCI BIOS Revision 2.10 at entry 0xee63e
  >   probing PCI hardware.
  >   warning: Unknown PCI device (1039:4107) Please read
include/linux/pci.h
  >
  > I am stuck! What else can I do? Any suggestions ?
  > I looked at the FAQ and I cannot find anything useful about
  > PCI devices.
  >
  > Appreciated
  >
  > ciao
  >
  >   Peter Pilgrim
  >   Systems Development,
  >   News International, London, England
  >
  > -------------------==== Posted via Deja News
====-----------------------
  >       http://www.dejanews.com/     Search, Read, Post to Usenet

  I had one private e-mail from Jonathan Ogden
  (mailto:jod...@computersex.com).

  After searching dejanews with <pcibios_init> I found there are
  many articles with the error Unknown PCI Device error,
  but the boot continues and is regardlessly successful with
  the next message from the kernel:-
  `Calibrating Delay Loop .. Bogomips'.

  It is possible that I am barking up the wrong tree !
  Nothing to do with PCI or BIOS32, perhaps.
  Where could the kernel be failing ?
  It just stops unforgivably and CTRL ALT DEL does not
  break the loop.

  I am really disappointed that Linux wont run on my new machine,
  because I know from my previous work place what a _brillant_
  little OS it really is.

  I will try groking the redhat support website next.
  (I looked there at http://www.redhat.com and there was not too much
   happening under 'support').

  I will also send a message to AJP support too
(mailto:supp...@ajp.co.uk)  http://www.ajp.co.uk  Nice chunky web pages! 
The asian OEM Kapok is in Tawian http://www.kapok.com.tw a lot site is in
 English thankfully, except for Product pages.

  Ciao

  Peter Pilgrim
  Systems Development
  News International

PLEASE REPLY BY EMAIL mailto:Peter.Pilg...@it.newsint.co.uk

-------------------==== Posted via Deja News ====-----------------------
      http://www.dejanews.com/     Search, Read, Post to Usenet

From: Peter.Pilg...@it.newsint.co.uk
Subject: Booting PCW Red Hat Linux 4.1 trying to INSTALL it on AJP 62-200M LapTop ? 
[Anybody]
Date: 1997/06/16
Message-ID: <866458529.2681@dejanews.com>
X-Deja-AN: 248794569
X-Http-User-Agent: Mozilla/3.0 (WinNT; I)
X-Originating-IP-Addr: 143.252.80.100 (thunder.newsint.co.uk)
Organization: Deja News Usenet Posting Service
X-Article-Creation-Date: Mon Jun 16 10:55:30 1997 GMT
X-Authenticated-Sender: Peter.Pilg...@it.newsint.co.uk
Reply-To: Peter.Pilg...@it.newsint.co.uk
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup


I manage to find this mailing list. Basically I having problems booting
the boot disk of Linux on my LapTop in process of installation Linux.
I have tried various varieties Red Hat 4.1, 4.0, Slackware 96, Drop In
Linux. The last three of these Linuses came off the InfoMagic Developers
Resource December 1996 CD ROM.

I am at my wits end. Is there some diagnostics that I can do:-

I have tried:-

	$ ramdisk   hd=4188,16,63 debug no-hlt reserve=0xec600,0x0FFF
		// From the pci diagnostic below
	$ ramdisk   hd=4188,16,63 debug no-hlt reserve=0xE0000,0xEFFFF
		// Windows 95 system says Memory  0xe0000- 0xeFFFF System
Board
	$ ramdisk   pci=noprobe debug
		// pci=noprobe - a wild guess on my part
	$ linux        debug
	$ rescue     debug

	Looked through the Linux Lap Top Home Pages for answers.

The general advice I have read in LDP is to pull any out cards to try to
find the conflicting
hardware problem, but this is not possible on a LapTop.

I reached the end ... but I refuse to loose, there must be a way!!!!!


  From `comp.os.linux.setup'
  In article <865957558.12...@dejanews.com>,
      Peter.Pilg...@it.newsint.co.uk wrote:
    >
    > Sorry it got posted to the wrong news group
    > Dejanews does not recognise comp.os.linux.help for some reason.
    >
    > I am a systems developer normally using Solaris 2.4 etc
    >
    > I just bought a Win95 laptop computer [British, London
    > made AJP 62-200M]. Does anyone have success installing Red Hat
    > Linux 4.1 on an AJP machine or similar. Maybe there is another
    > person in the UK who has done this already.
    > The Red Hat Linux came on the May 1997 edition of
    > Personal Computer World Magazine.
    >
    > I made the boot disk with RAWRITE.EXE with \images\boot.img
    > and restarted by computer and type return at the `boot:'
    > prompt and let the LILO boot up. The final message I got
    > happens to be :-
    >
    >   LILO ...
    >
    >   uncompressing linux ... done
    >   now booting kernel
    >   console: 16 point foint font, 400 scans
    >   console: colour VGA + 80x25 1 x virtual console (max 63)
    >   pcibios_init: BIOS 32 Service Directory Structure at 0x000ec050
    >   pcibios_init: BIOS 32 Service Directory entry at 0xee600
    >   pcibios_init: PCI BIOS Revision 2.10 at entry 0xee63e
    >   probing PCI hardware.
    >   warning: Unknown PCI device (1039:4107) Please read
  include/linux/pci.h
	(The computer hangs up from here onwards)
    >
    > I am stuck! What else can I do? Any suggestions ?
    > I looked at the FAQ and I cannot find anything useful about
    > PCI devices.
    >
    > Appreciated
    >
    > ciao
    >
    >   Peter Pilgrim
    >   Systems Development,
    >   News International, London, England
    >
    > -------------------==== Posted via Deja News
  ====-----------------------
    >       http://www.dejanews.com/     Search, Read, Post to Usenet

    I had one private e-mail from Jonathan Ogden
    (mailto:jod...@computersex.com).

    After searching dejanews with <pcibios_init> I found there are
    many articles with the error Unknown PCI Device error,
    but the boot continues and is regardlessly successful with
    the next message from the kernel:-
    `Calibrating Delay Loop .. BogoMips'.

    It is possible that I am barking up the wrong tree !
    Nothing to do with PCI or BIOS32, perhaps.
    Where could the kernel be failing ?
    It just stops unforgivably and CTRL ALT DEL does not
    break the loop.

    I am really disappointed that Linux wont run on my new machine,
    because I know from my previous work place what a _brillant_
    little OS it really is.

    I will try groking the redhat support website next.
    (I looked there at http://www.redhat.com and there was not too much
     happening under 'support').

    I will also send a message to AJP support too
  (mailto:supp...@ajp.co.uk)  http://www.ajp.co.uk  Nice chunky web pages!
  The asian OEM Kapok is in Tawian http://www.kapok.com.tw a lot site is
in
   English thankfully, except for Product pages.

    Ciao

    Peter Pilgrim
    Systems Development
    News International

  PLEASE REPLY BY EMAIL mailto:Peter.Pilg...@it.newsint.co.uk

  -------------------==== Posted via Deja News ====-----------------------
        http://www.dejanews.com/     Search, Read, Post to Usenet

I had look at the Linux Source Navigator at the include files and
sources too. I could not see a sol'n though.

Any help greatly appreciated.

(Please reply or CC email please!)

Ciao!

______________________________________________________
#include <standard/disclaimer>  // "Objects, dontcha just love em!"
Peter A. Pilgrim Email: `Peter.Pilg...@IT.NewsInt.co.uk'
     ACCU member [ enquiries `fran...@robinton.demon.co.uk'
     rather recent ` http://bach.cis.temple.edu/ACCU  ' ]
News International Newspapers Limited, London, England.
Tel: +44 (0)171-782-3602     Fax: +44 (0)171-782-3624
XTC: linux-ker...@vger.rutgers.edu

-------------------==== Posted via Deja News ====-----------------------
      http://www.dejanews.com/     Search, Read, Post to Usenet

From: Mark Roberts <m...@scigen.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Booting Red Hat Linux 4 boot.img on AJP 6200 MMX LapTop ? [Anybody]
Date: 1997/06/17
Message-ID: <33A676AB.4E4E@scigen.co.uk>#1/1
X-Deja-AN: 249054154
References: <866195296.21191@dejanews.com>
To: Peter.Pilg...@it.newsint.co.uk
Organization: Scientific Generics Ltd
Reply-To: m...@scigen.co.uk
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux,uk.comp.os.linux.setup


Peter.Pilg...@it.newsint.co.uk wrote:

>   >
>   > I am a systems developer normally using Solaris 2.4 etc
>   >
>   > I just bought a Win95 laptop computer [British, London
>   > made AJP 62-200M]. Does anyone have success installing Red Hat
>   > Linux 4.1 on an AJP machine or similar. Maybe there is another
>   > person in the UK who has done this already.
>   > The Red Hat Linux came on the May 1997 edition of
>   > Personal Computer World Magazine.
>   >
>   > I made the boot disk with RAWRITE.EXE with \images\boot.img
>   > and restarted by computer and type return at the `boot:'
>   > prompt and let the LILO boot up. The final message I got
>   > happens to be :-
>   >
>   >   LILO ...
>   >
>   >   uncompressing linux ... done
>   >   now booting kernel
>   >   console: 16 point foint font, 400 scans
>   >   console: colour VGA + 80x25 1 x virtual console (max 63)
>   >   pcibios_init: BIOS 32 Service Directory Structure at 0x000ec050
>   >   pcibios_init: BIOS 32 Service Directory entry at 0xee600
>   >   pcibios_init: PCI BIOS Revision 2.10 at entry 0xee63e
>   >   probing PCI hardware.
>   >   warning: Unknown PCI device (1039:4107) Please read
> include/linux/pci.h
>   >
>   > I am stuck! What else can I do? Any suggestions ?
>   > I looked at the FAQ and I cannot find anything useful about
>   > PCI devices.
>   >
>   > Appreciated
>   >
>   > ciao
>   >
>   >   Peter Pilgrim
>   >   Systems Development,
>   >   News International, London, England

I'm using the same disk and going through similar problems. Please note
that I
too am fairly new to this, so if anyone knows any more, please
contribute.

Linux, like Windows 95, tries to search your system for known devices, 
so it can configure its device drivers. As part of this search it
interrogates all devices on the PCI bus for their unique identifiers. In
this case it has
found an identifier that the standard kernel does not know about. If you
want
a comparison, the situation is similar to Windows'95 'Add new hardware'
feature coming up with 'unknown device' and prompting you to install the
correct 
driver.

However, this may not be fatal, since it may be able to run a device
driver later which does understand the relevant device. To cut a long
story short,
this message is probably not the reason for your system failing to boot.

Once you have Linux installed, you can make this message go away by
rebuilding the kernel after modifying (carefully):
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/pci.h	(include device IDs here)
/usr/src/linux/drivers/pci/pci.c	(put device into list here)
Note that devices are in numerical order in the above list.

From a quick look in pci.h, linux is having problems with a device from
SI, which I think is Silicon Integrated Systems, who amongst other
things
make chipsets for portables......your AJP machine may have a PCI/ hot
docking
controller from them which is not recognisable/ controllable.

-- 
Disclaimer - Neither I nor any company I work for are responsible for
the
any problems caused as a result of reading or acting on my email.
   |\/|   /\  |-\
   |  |  /__\ |_/
   |  | /    \| \

From: Peter.Pilg...@it.newsint.co.uk
Subject: Re: Booting Red Hat Linux 4 boot.img on AJP 6200 MMX LapTop ? [AJP Response]
Date: 1997/06/20
Message-ID: <866801552.19342@dejanews.com>
X-Deja-AN: 251308310
References: <866195296.21191@dejanews.com> <33A676AB.4E4E@scigen.co.uk>
X-Http-User-Agent: Mozilla/3.0 (WinNT; I)
X-Originating-IP-Addr: 143.252.80.100 (thunder.newsint.co.uk)
Organization: Deja News Usenet Posting Service
X-Article-Creation-Date: Fri Jun 20 10:12:32 1997 GMT
X-Authenticated-Sender: Peter.Pilg...@it.newsint.co.uk
Reply-To: Peter.Pilg...@it.newsint.co.uk
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup


READ BELOW FOR AJP RESPONSE

In article <33A676AB.4...@scigen.co.uk>,
  m...@scigen.co.uk wrote:
>
> Peter.Pilg...@it.newsint.co.uk wrote:
>
> >   >
> >   > I am a systems developer normally using Solaris 2.4 etc
> >   >
> >   > I just bought a Win95 laptop computer [British, London
> >   > made AJP 62-200M]. Does anyone have success installing Red Hat
> >   > Linux 4.1 on an AJP machine or similar. Maybe there is another
> >   > person in the UK who has done this already.
> >   > The Red Hat Linux came on the May 1997 edition of
> >   > Personal Computer World Magazine.
> >   >
> >   > I made the boot disk with RAWRITE.EXE with \images\boot.img
> >   > and restarted by computer and type return at the `boot:'
> >   > prompt and let the LILO boot up. The final message I got
> >   > happens to be :-
> >   >
> >   >   LILO ...
> >   >
> >   >   uncompressing linux ... done
> >   >   now booting kernel
> >   >   console: 16 point foint font, 400 scans
> >   >   console: colour VGA + 80x25 1 x virtual console (max 63)
> >   >   pcibios_init: BIOS 32 Service Directory Structure at 0x000ec050
> >   >   pcibios_init: BIOS 32 Service Directory entry at 0xee600
> >   >   pcibios_init: PCI BIOS Revision 2.10 at entry 0xee63e
> >   >   probing PCI hardware.
> >   >   warning: Unknown PCI device (1039:4107) Please read
> > include/linux/pci.h
> >   >
> >   > I am stuck! What else can I do? Any suggestions ?
> >   > I looked at the FAQ and I cannot find anything useful about
> >   > PCI devices.
> >   >
>
> I'm using the same disk and going through similar problems. Please note
> that I
> too am fairly new to this, so if anyone knows any more, please
> contribute.
>
> Linux, like Windows 95, tries to search your system for known devices,
> so it can configure its device drivers. As part of this search it
> interrogates all devices on the PCI bus for their unique identifiers. In
> this case it has
> found an identifier that the standard kernel does not know about. If you
> want
> a comparison, the situation is similar to Windows'95 'Add new hardware'
> feature coming up with 'unknown device' and prompting you to install the
> correct
> driver.
>
> However, this may not be fatal, since it may be able to run a device
> driver later which does understand the relevant device. To cut a long
> story short,
> this message is probably not the reason for your system failing to boot.
>
> Once you have Linux installed, you can make this message go away by
> rebuilding the kernel after modifying (carefully):
> /usr/src/linux/include/linux/pci.h	(include device IDs here)
> /usr/src/linux/drivers/pci/pci.c	(put device into list here)
> Note that devices are in numerical order in the above list.
>
> From a quick look in pci.h, linux is having problems with a device from
> SI, which I think is Silicon Integrated Systems, who amongst other
> things
> make chipsets for portables......your AJP machine may have a PCI/ hot
> docking
> controller from them which is not recognisable/ controllable.
>


This is official AJP SUPPORT answer. I posted it here so that
other AJP 6200 user may get it, or find it in the archives.
Actually it is _very_ _hopeful_ so I will keep all posted,
so watch this space!

> ----------
> From: 	WMATTHEW[SMTP:wmatt...@ajp.co.uk]
>
> Chipset in question is the Omega 82c094, the chip is register set
> compatible with an intel i829092aa or i82365sl.
>
> I guess you are using redhat, I am not to sure of this release but
> slakware has a pcmcia library that is either included in the a or ap
> disksets that should make the set up easier for you. Hope this helps.
>
> P.S unfortunately we _DO_  _NOT_  support Linux.
> but we have a few nuggets of information around.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Matthew Weetman.
>
> Central Switchboard  0181 - 452 - 9090
> Fax  0171 - 450 - 6360 (mark attn:Tech Supp)
> Email: supp...@ajp.co.uk
> Web  http://www.ajp.co.uk/

Thanks a lot man!

If you have any email addresses of customers or contacts who are using
Linux on the 6200 could you forward them onto me. ONLY IF YOU HAVE
PERMISSION TO! (It is for good cause.) I will be discreet, because I
would like to know _exactly_ how they created the very important first
boot disk and root disk for the installation of their Linux distributuon.

>----------
>From: 	a...@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk[SMTP:a...@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk]
>
>Your machine is dying probing things after the initial PCI scan - the
>1039:4107 is a PCI device Linux doesnt recognize and will thus ignore.
>
>Your machine is I suspect dying because the interrupt handling or memory
>mapping
>are non standard. Probably the latter - this could be due to non standard
>timer chips or other components.
>
Actual the duff chip is really this chip that has been found,
and I hand copied the device number wrong, it is not a 4107
but a 5107. See Silicon Intergrated Systems own webpages for
details <http://www.sisworld.com/5107.htm>.

Yes I managed to find the chip device from alta vista.
search for "Silicon Integrated Systems" or "SIS".

>There is a tiny chance it is the PCI scan - perhaps a bug in the PCI bios.
>Get a kernel image with no PCI from someone and try that. That'll still boot
>a fairly functional system. If it works then there are patches to fix some
>compaq PCI bugs on www.linuxhq.com - pray yours are the same.

Well it is certainly looking like I should be looking at an alternative
os, maybe the
freeware SCO, or FreeBSD for the time being ....

This may be an alternative.
I will forward this message to news:uk.comp.os.linux and
news:comp.os.linux.setup, these newsgroups are archived at DejaNews
and other places, so that other AJP 6200 users (with internet access)
find help.

Until next time!

Cheers

Ciao!

______________________________________________________
#include <standard/disclaimer>  // "Objects, dontcha just love em!"
Peter A. Pilgrim Email: `Peter.Pilg...@IT.NewsInt.co.uk'
     ACCU member [ enquiries `mailto:fran...@robinton.demon.co.uk'
     or rather new ` http://www.accu.org  ' ]
News International Newspapers Limited, London, England.
Tel: +44 (0)171-782-3602     Fax: +44 (0)171-782-3624

-------------------==== Posted via Deja News ====-----------------------
      http://www.dejanews.com/     Search, Read, Post to Usenet

From: Peter.Pilg...@it.newsint.co.uk
Subject: Re: Booting Red Hat Linux 4 boot.img on AJP 6200 MMX LapTop ? [AJP response 2]
Date: 1997/06/20
Message-ID: <866831348.8683@dejanews.com>
X-Deja-AN: 251394434
References: <866195296.21191@dejanews.com> <33A676AB.4E4E@scigen.co.uk>
To: Peter.Pilg...@it.newsint.co.uk
X-Http-User-Agent: Mozilla/3.0 (WinNT; I)
X-Originating-IP-Addr: 143.252.80.100 (thunder.newsint.co.uk)
Organization: Deja News Usenet Posting Service
X-Article-Creation-Date: Fri Jun 20 18:29:08 1997 GMT
X-Authenticated-Sender: Peter.Pilg...@it.newsint.co.uk
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup


LAST POST IS SCREWED UP, THIS SHOULD GET THERE INTACT

Incidentally Prostar 6200 == AJP 6200 == Kapok Corp

In article <33A676AB.4...@scigen.co.uk>,
  m...@scigen.co.uk wrote:
>
> Peter.Pilg...@it.newsint.co.uk wrote:
>
> >   >
> >   > I am a systems developer normally using Solaris 2.4 etc
> >   >
> >   > I just bought a Win95 laptop computer [British, London
> >   > made AJP 62-200M]. Does anyone have success installing Red Hat
> >   > Linux 4.1 on an AJP machine or similar. Maybe there is another
> >   > person in the UK who has done this already.
> >   > The Red Hat Linux came on the May 1997 edition of
> >   > Personal Computer World Magazine.
> >   >
> >   > I made the boot disk with RAWRITE.EXE with \images\boot.img
> >   > and restarted by computer and type return at the `boot:'
> >   > prompt and let the LILO boot up. The final message I got
> >   > happens to be :-
> >   >
> >   >   LILO ...
> >   >
> >   >   uncompressing linux ... done
> >   >   now booting kernel
> >   >   console: 16 point foint font, 400 scans
> >   >   console: colour VGA + 80x25 1 x virtual console (max 63)
> >   >   pcibios_init: BIOS 32 Service Directory Structure at 0x000ec050
> >   >   pcibios_init: BIOS 32 Service Directory entry at 0xee600
> >   >   pcibios_init: PCI BIOS Revision 2.10 at entry 0xee63e
> >   >   probing PCI hardware.
> >   >   warning: Unknown PCI device (1039:4107) Please read
> > include/linux/pci.h
> >   >
> >   > I am stuck! What else can I do? Any suggestions ?
> >   > I looked at the FAQ and I cannot find anything useful about
> >   > PCI devices.
> >   >
> >   > Appreciated
> >   >
>
> I'm using the same disk and going through similar problems. Please note
> that I
> too am fairly new to this, so if anyone knows any more, please
> contribute.
>
> Linux, like Windows 95, tries to search your system for known devices,
> so it can configure its device drivers. As part of this search it
> interrogates all devices on the PCI bus for their unique identifiers. In
> this case it has
> found an identifier that the standard kernel does not know about. If you
> want
> a comparison, the situation is similar to Windows'95 'Add new hardware'
> feature coming up with 'unknown device' and prompting you to install the
> correct
> driver.
>
> However, this may not be fatal, since it may be able to run a device
> driver later which does understand the relevant device. To cut a long
> story short,
> this message is probably not the reason for your system failing to boot.
>
> Once you have Linux installed, you can make this message go away by
> rebuilding the kernel after modifying (carefully):
> /usr/src/linux/include/linux/pci.h	(include device IDs here)
> /usr/src/linux/drivers/pci/pci.c	(put device into list here)
> Note that devices are in numerical order in the above list.
>
> From a quick look in pci.h, linux is having problems with a device from
> SI, which I think is Silicon Integrated Systems, who amongst other
> things
> make chipsets for portables......your AJP machine may have a PCI/ hot
> docking
> controller from them which is not recognisable/ controllable.
>


RESPONSE FROM AJP

> ----------
> From: 	WMATTHEW[SMTP:wmatt...@ajp.co.uk]
>
> Chipset in question is the Omega 82c094, the chip is register set
> compatible with an intel i829092aa or i82365sl.
>
> I guess you are using redhat, I am not to sure of this release but
> slakware has a pcmcia library that is either included in the a or ap
> disksets that should make the set up easier for you. Hope this helps.
>
> P.S unfortunately we _DO_  _NOT_  support Linux.
> but we have a few nuggets of information around.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Matthew Weetman.
>
> Central Switchboard  0181 - 452 - 9090
> Fax  0171 - 450 - 6360 (mark attn:Tech Supp)
> Email: supp...@ajp.co.uk
> Web  http://www.ajp.co.uk/

Thanks a lot man!

If you have any email addresses of customers or contacts who are using
Linux on the 6200 could you forward them onto me. ONLY IF YOU HAVE
PERMISSION TO! (It is for good cause.) I will be discreet, because I
would like to know _exactly_ how they created the very important first
boot disk and root disk for the installation of their Linux distributuon.

>----------
>From: 	a...@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk[SMTP:a...@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk]
>
>Your machine is dying probing things after the initial PCI scan - the
>1039:4107 is a PCI device Linux doesnt recognize and will thus ignore.
>
>Your machine is I suspect dying because the interrupt handling or memory
>mapping
>are non standard. Probably the latter - this could be due to non standard
>timer chips or other components.
>
Actual the duff chip is this chip has been found, and I hand copied
the number wrong, it is not a 4107 but 5107.

<http://www.sisworld.com/5107.htm>

Yes I managed to find the chip device from alta vista

>There is a tiny chance it is the PCI scan - perhaps a bug in the PCI bios.
>Get a kernel image with no PCI from someone and try that. That'll still boot
>a fairly functional system. If it works then there are patches to fix some
>compaq PCI bugs on www.linuxhq.com - pray yours are the same.

Well it is certainly looking like I should be looking at an alternative
os, maybe the
freeware SCO, or FreeBSD for the time being ....

This may be an alternative.
I will forward this message to news:uk.comp.os.linux and
news:comp.os.linux.setup
, these newsgroups are archived at DejaNews and other place,
so that other AJP 6200 users (with internet access) find help.


> ----------
> From: 	Mike Coombs[SMTP:MCOO...@mpc-data.co.uk]
>
> Following your posting on the uk linux newsgroup I have the identical
> problem.  I am using AJP 6200T which says Pentium 200 with MMX.  We
> have a slightly earlier 6200 which boots Red Hat Linux without
> problems, this does not say "with MMX", so possibly that is the
> cause.

This is nuts!!! I do not what the difference between a `T' and `M'  is
really? Is it a motherboard difference? I posted AJP to ask where was the
MPEG board as seen in the PCW adverts ? I unscrewed the processor latch
and removed the heatsink and could not see one. So I assume that the MPEG
chip is directly soldered to the board, because I am not brave enough to
really open up the machine! So I am still asking. I really wanted to
follow a suggestion that removing the MPEG board may do the trick.

Let me clear about "with MMX" this is actually the BIOS boot up message:-
(hand copied :-)

Systemsoft PCI BIOS for SiS-510X Ver 1.01.26  (6X00-5-11)
Copyright 1983-1996 Systems Soft Corp.
All Rights Reserved

System Processer:	200 MHx Intel Pentium P55C __with__ __MMX__
External Cache:	256 KB Enabled
Video Chipset:	Trident Cyber 9385 with 2MB Video RAM
System Soft Plug-n-Play BIOS Ver1.0A

Base Memory	640KB
Extended Memory	31744KB
Shadow Memory	256KB
Reserved Memory	128KB
Total Memory	32678KB

CD ROM Type: CD-211E 5.0D


INCIDENTALLY
What version of Red Hat Linux boots successfully (important on 6200T) ?

> I have tried the very latest version of Red Hat Linux, and also an
> older version of Slackware, but both exhibit the same problems.

That would not be Red Hat Linux 4.2 would it ?

> Examining the source it seems that it should only be a warning and
> not halt the machine.  So I suspect something later on, but probably
> related, causes the hang.

That is what Alan Cox <a...@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> thinks after I posted
the linux-ker...@vger.rutgers.edu mailing list this week. I reckons I
should get Red Hat to do me a non-PCI boot disk, because it could be
something with the interrupts and the timers.

> BTW you may not know that the AJP is really a KAPOK
>     http://www.kapok.com.tw

Yes I did by groking the Linux Lap Top Home pages and Jungle.

> also see
>     http://www.netset.com/~greg/6200-review.html

I will look it now ... netscape ... Yes I think may be I understand.
There is a cosmetic change with the case, at least from what I can see
from the Prostar 6200. This is very hopefully, some one out there has
install Linux on one of these Kapok 6200 machines. I do not want to sell
my machine, maybe I like get 100 pound modem card and maybe maybe Lithium
Ion battery, but I not complaining much about the machine. You should
read the comp.os.linux and how a user regrets ever buying a Dell Latitude
because of NeoMagic gfx chipset are _NOT_ supported !! Personally I do
not think a Taiwanese firm should be penalised because it has made in
road in design and productivity.

> I'd appreciate an e-mail if you find out any more about this
> Linux problem.  (Also I'm having problems with OS/2 Warp PCMCIA, but
> that's another story!)
>
> Mike Coombs

I will see if there is a PCMCIA boot disk on the InfoMagic LDR Dec 1996
this weekend. Hopefully I will see linux boot on my machine ....

Ciao!

______________________________________________________
#include <standard/disclaimer>  // "Objects, dontcha just love em!"
Peter A. Pilgrim Email: `Peter.Pilg...@IT.NewsInt.co.uk'
     ACCU member [ enquiries `mailto:fran...@robinton.demon.co.uk'
     or rather new ` http://www.accu.org  ' ]
News International Newspapers Limited, London, England.
Tel: +44 (0)171-782-3602     Fax: +44 (0)171-782-3624

-------------------==== Posted via Deja News ====-----------------------
      http://www.dejanews.com/     Search, Read, Post to Usenet

From: Peter.Pilg...@it.newsint.co.uk
Subject: Linux & 6200 ( AJP / ProStar / Kapok )  MMX boot.img problem
Date: 1997/06/21
Message-ID: <866907798.14377@dejanews.com>
X-Deja-AN: 251596890
To: Peter.Pilg...@it.newsint.co.uk
X-Http-User-Agent: Mozilla/3.0 (WinNT; I)
X-Originating-IP-Addr: 143.252.80.100 (thunder.newsint.co.uk)
Organization: Deja News Usenet Posting Service
X-Article-Creation-Date: Sat Jun 21 15:43:19 1997 GMT
X-Authenticated-Sender: Peter.Pilg...@it.newsint.co.uk
Reply-To: Peter.Pilg...@it.newsint.co.uk
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup


THIS IS PROGRESS REPORT FOR THOSE USER TRYING
TO GET LINUX TO BOOT UP ON AJP 6200 COMPUTER
ESPECIALLY THE PCW RED HAT LINUX 4.1 DISK
It now appears that this is a __MMX__ processor
problem. Read below ....

I 'd greatly if you could contribute to this.
Some messages has be posted to linux-kernel
mailing list already. So don't do it!

From:  m...@scigen.co.uk wrote:
>
> From: Peter.Pilg...@it.newsint.co.uk wrote:
>
> >   >
> >   > I am a systems developer normally using Solaris 2.4 etc
> >   >
> >   > I just bought a Win95 laptop computer [British, London
> >   > made AJP 62-200M]. Does anyone have success installing Red Hat
> >   > Linux 4.1 on an AJP machine or similar. Maybe there is another
> >   > person in the UK who has done this already.
> >   > The Red Hat Linux came on the May 1997 edition of
> >   > Personal Computer World Magazine.
> >   >
> >   > I made the boot disk with RAWRITE.EXE with \images\boot.img
> >   > and restarted by computer and type return at the `boot:'
> >   > prompt and let the LILO boot up. The final message I got
> >   > happens to be :-
> >   >
> >   >   LILO ...
> >   >
> >   >   uncompressing linux ... done
> >   >   now booting kernel
> >   >   console: 16 point foint font, 400 scans
> >   >   console: colour VGA + 80x25 1 x virtual console (max 63)
> >   >   pcibios_init: BIOS 32 Service Directory Structure at 0x000ec050
> >   >   pcibios_init: BIOS 32 Service Directory entry at 0xee600
> >   >   pcibios_init: PCI BIOS Revision 2.10 at entry 0xee63e
> >   >   probing PCI hardware.
> >   >   warning: Unknown PCI device (1039:4107) Please read
> > include/linux/pci.h
> >   >
> >   > I am stuck! What else can I do? Any suggestions ?
> >   > I looked at the FAQ and I cannot find anything useful about
> >   > PCI devices.
> > (The program just hangs up here!)
> >   >
> >   > Appreciated
> >   >
>

A RESPONSE FROM AJP

> ----------
> From: 	WMATTHEW[SMTP:wmatt...@ajp.co.uk]
>
> Chipset in question is the Omega 82c094, the chip is register set
> compatible with an intel i829092aa or i82365sl.
>
> I guess you are using redhat, I am not to sure of this release but
> slakware has a pcmcia library that is either included in the a or ap
> disksets that should make the set up easier for you. Hope this helps.
>
> P.S unfortunately we _DO_  _NOT_  support Linux.
> but we have a few nuggets of information around.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Matthew Weetman.
>
> Central Switchboard  0181 - 452 - 9090
> Fax  0171 - 450 - 6360 (mark attn:Tech Supp)
> Email: supp...@ajp.co.uk
> Web  http://www.ajp.co.uk/

Thanks a lot man!

If you have any email addresses of customers or contacts who are using
Linux on the 6200 could you forward them onto me. ONLY IF YOU HAVE
PERMISSION TO! (It is for good cause.) I will be discreet, because I
would like to know _exactly_ how they created the very important first
boot disk and root disk for the installation of their Linux distributuon.

>----------
>From: 	a...@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk[SMTP:a...@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk]
>
>Your machine is dying probing things after the initial PCI scan - the
>1039:4107 is a PCI device Linux doesnt recognize and will thus ignore.
>
>Your machine is I suspect dying because the interrupt handling or memory
>mapping
>are non standard. Probably the latter - this could be due to non standard
>timer chips or other components.
>
Actual the duff chip is this chip has been found, and I hand copied
the number wrong, it is not a 4107 but 5107.

<http://www.sisworld.com/5107.htm>

Yes I managed to find the chip device from alta vista

>There is a tiny chance it is the PCI scan - perhaps a bug in the PCI
bios.
>Get a kernel image with no PCI from someone and try that. That'll still
boot
>a fairly functional system. If it works then there are patches to fix
some
>compaq PCI bugs on www.linuxhq.com - pray yours are the same.

Well it is certainly looking like I should be looking at an alternative
os, maybe the
freeware SCO, or FreeBSD for the time being ....

This may be an alternative.
I will forward this message to news:uk.comp.os.linux and
news:comp.os.linux.setup
, these newsgroups are archived at DejaNews and other place,
so that other AJP 6200 users (with internet access) find help.


> ----------
> From: 	Mike Coombs[SMTP:MCOO...@mpc-data.co.uk]
>
> Following your posting on the uk linux newsgroup I have the identical
> problem.  I am using AJP 6200T which says Pentium 200 with MMX.  We
> have a slightly earlier 6200 which boots Red Hat Linux without
> problems, this does not say "with MMX", so possibly that is the
> cause.

This is nuts!!! I do not what the difference between a `T' and `M'  is
really? Is it a motherboard difference? I posted AJP to ask where was the
MPEG board as seen in the PCW adverts ? I unscrewed the processor latch
and removed the heatsink and could not see one. So I assume that the MPEG
chip is directly soldered to the board, because I am not brave enough to
really open up the machine! So I am still asking. I really wanted to
follow a suggestion that removing the MPEG board may do the trick.

Let me clear about "with MMX" this is actually the BIOS boot up message:-
(hand copied :-)

Systemsoft PCI BIOS for SiS-510X Ver 1.01.26  (6X00-5-11)
Copyright 1983-1996 Systems Soft Corp.
All Rights Reserved

System Processer:	200 MHx Intel Pentium P55C __with__ __MMX__
External Cache:	256 KB Enabled
Video Chipset:	Trident Cyber 9385 with 2MB Video RAM
System Soft Plug-n-Play BIOS Ver1.0A

Base Memory	640KB
Extended Memory	31744KB
Shadow Memory	256KB
Reserved Memory	128KB
Total Memory	32678KB

CD ROM Type: CD-211E 5.0D


INCIDENTALLY
What version of Red Hat Linux boots successfully (important on 6200T) ?

> I have tried the very latest version of Red Hat Linux, and also an
> older version of Slackware, but both exhibit the same problems.

That would not be Red Hat Linux 4.2 would it ?

> Examining the source it seems that it should only be a warning and
> not halt the machine.  So I suspect something later on, but probably
> related, causes the hang.

That is what Alan Cox <a...@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> thinks after I posted
the linux-ker...@vger.rutgers.edu mailing list this week. I reckons I
should get Red Hat to do me a non-PCI boot disk, because it could be
something with the interrupts and the timers.

> BTW you may not know that the AJP is really a KAPOK
>     http://www.kapok.com.tw

Yes I did by groking the Linux Lap Top Home pages and Jungle.

> also see
>     http://www.netset.com/~greg/6200-review.html

I will look it now ... netscape ... Yes I think may be I understand.
There is a cosmetic change with the case, at least from what I can see
from the Prostar 6200. This is very hopefully, some one out there has
install Linux on one of these Kapok 6200 machines. I do not want to sell
my machine, maybe I like get 100 pound modem card and maybe maybe Lithium
Ion battery, but I not complaining much about the machine. You should
read the comp.os.linux and how a user regrets ever buying a Dell Latitude
because of NeoMagic gfx chipset are _NOT_ supported !! Personally I do
not think a Taiwanese firm should be penalised because it has made in
road in design and productivity.

> I'd appreciate an e-mail if you find out any more about this
> Linux problem.  (Also I'm having problems with OS/2 Warp PCMCIA, but
> that's another story!)
>
> Mike Coombs

I will see if there is a PCMCIA boot disk on the InfoMagic LDR Dec 1996
this weekend. Hopefully I will see linux boot on my machine ....

> From Mike Coombs
> Yes,
>
> My machine says:
>   System Processer:   200 MHz Intel Pentium P55C __with__ __MMX__
>
> I don't have access to the other m/c (the one which does boot Linux)
> at present, but I know that it does not say "with MMX"
>
> > What version of Red Hat Linux boots successfully (important on 6200T)
?
>
> The version of Red Hat that boots is the one from a recent edition of
> PCW.  We have that bootable Linux on a spare 6200T hard drive and it
> works in the other m/c but not this one.
>
> > ...not be Red Hat Linux 4.2 would it ?
>
> Yes, I downloaded the floppy disk boot images only, and they failed
> on this m/c in exactly the same way, but booted OK on the non-MMX m/c.
> Mike Coombs

so it appears to be a problem with MMX machines. I am assuming this
machine is
the AJP 6200 with a __non__ MMX  200 Mhz pentium processer.

Does any one know why a pentium _with_ MMX will fail to run a linux boot
image
such as `boot.img' in the RH Linux. Note this problem also happens with
Slackware, and Drop In Linux from my Infomagic LDR Dec 1996 CD ROM.

I would be interested if other (U.S.) users with the Prostar 6200 series
have similar
boot problems.

See `http://www.netset.com/~greg/6200-review.html '


AS I WAS SAYING ....

The OEM for Prostor, AJP, Hi-Grade and ACI etc is Kapok
`http://www.kapok.com.tw '
In order to solve this problem I think I need ask an assember guru for
help ?
Any explanation for this weirdness ?

Ciao!

______________________________________________________
#include <standard/disclaimer>  // "Objects, dontcha just love em!"
Peter A. Pilgrim Email: `Peter.Pilg...@IT.NewsInt.co.uk'
     ACCU member [ enquiries `mailto:fran...@robinton.demon.co.uk'
     or rather new ` http://www.accu.org  ' ]
News International Newspapers Limited, London, England.
Tel: +44 (0)171-782-3602     Fax: +44 (0)171-782-3624

-------------------==== Posted via Deja News ====-----------------------
      http://www.dejanews.com/     Search, Read, Post to Usenet

			        About USENET

USENET (Users’ Network) was a bulletin board shared among many computer
systems around the world. USENET was a logical network, sitting on top
of several physical networks, among them UUCP, BLICN, BERKNET, X.25, and
the ARPANET. Sites on USENET included many universities, private companies
and research organizations. See USENET Archives.

		       SCO Files Lawsuit Against IBM

March 7, 2003 - The SCO Group filed legal action against IBM in the State 
Court of Utah for trade secrets misappropriation, tortious interference, 
unfair competition and breach of contract. The complaint alleges that IBM 
made concentrated efforts to improperly destroy the economic value of 
UNIX, particularly UNIX on Intel, to benefit IBM's Linux services 
business. See SCO v IBM.

The materials and information included in this website may only be used
for purposes such as criticism, review, private study, scholarship, or
research.

Electronic mail:			       WorldWideWeb:
   tech-insider@outlook.com			  http://tech-insider.org/