From: firstname.lastname@example.org (Miquel van Smoorenburg)
Subject: sysvinit-2.72 released
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 16:57:45 GMT
Organization: Cistron Internet Services B.V.
Approved: email@example.com (Lars Wirzenius)
Message-ID: < firstname.lastname@example.org>
Xref: sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk comp.os.linux.announce:8438
After a year of silence, I decided to do a new public release of sysvinit
and utilities. This is basically due to the common acceptance of GNU libc2
(AKA libc6) for which this version of sysvinit now has support. As usual,
this software is geared towards system integrators and real DYI Linux buffs.
This release has some aestethic fixes (typos in manpages fixed) and some
bugfixes. Here is a summary of the most important bugfixes since 2.64:
* Fixed dowall.c not to exit when getpwuid() fails and uid == 0.
* Fixed init panic'ing on empty lines in /etc/inittab
* Changed default PATH to include /usr/local/sbin
* Set /dev/console as controlling terminal for sysinit,bootwait,wait,powerwait
This allows using ^C to interrupt some parts of eg the boot process.
* Fixes problem with /dev/console being controlling terminal of some
* Fixed bug that can throw X in a loop (or any other app that reads from
* Fixed '-d' option to last (now also works without '-a').
* Added extra checking in last.c to prevent showing dead entries
* Added code for updwtmp() in utmp.c for glibc (2.0.3)
* Fixed all programs to use functions from utmp.c and getutent()
* Do not try to clean up utmp in init itself (Bug#9022)
* Removed sync() from main loop.
* Hopefully fixes bug #8657 (shutdown signal handling)
* Fix halt and reboot runlevels 0 & 6 check.
* Only say "no more processes left in runlevel x" once
* Fix race condition with SIGCHLD in spawn()
* Added poweroff patch by Roderich Schupp < rsch@ExperTeam.de>
* Add extra fork() in dowall.c to avoid hanging in rare cases
Here's the LSM entry. Note that I've just uploaded sysvinit-2.72 to sunsite
so it's probably still sitting in /incoming/Linux.
Title: sysvinit and utilities
Description: This is the Linux System V init.
The source package has the debian build files included.
This version can be compiled with the new glibc 2.05.
Author: email@example.com (Miquel van Smoorenburg)
Primary-Site: sunsite.unc.edu /pub/Linux/system/daemons/init
Alternate-Site: ftp.debian.org /debian/hamm/main/source/base
Keywords: init shutdown halt reboot
Miquel van | Cistron Internet Services -- Alphen aan den Rijn.
Smoorenburg, | mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org http://www.cistron.nl/
email@example.com | PTT's Het Net: Surfen in de gootsteen!
This article has been digitally signed by the moderator, using PGP.
http://www.iki.fi/liw/lars-public-key.asc has PGP key for validating signature.
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: firstname.lastname@example.org
PLEASE remember a short description of the software and the LOCATION.
This group is archived at http://www.iki.fi/liw/linux/cola.html