List:       axp-redhat
Subject:    DU binaries on linux
From:       Alvin Starr <alvin () iplink ! net>
Date:       1997-11-20 22:56:53

I asked this question before but some how I got nuked out of the mail
list. So here goes again.

I have a number of thoughts/questions.

I assume a staticly linked DU binary does not require licensing for
the libraries and that the configuration files that are required by the
resulting binary are not encombered by any licence.

If the above is true what would happen if you took a binary that used shared
libraries and ran it though a post process that would link the shared
libraries so that the binary was now static. My guess is that the
resulting binary would not require licencing?

Is there any reasonable way to take a dynamicly loading binary and make
it static?

Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (416)493-3325
Interlink Connectivity        ||   fax:   (416)493-7974
alvin@iplink.net              ||