From: di...@sco.com (Dion)
Subject: SCO apologizes for that stupid marketing hit-piece
Date: 1997/12/05
Newsgroups: comp.unix.sco.misc,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy

Shamim Formoso has asked me to post this letter to appropriate
newsgroups.  Please feel free to propogate it as you see fit.  I
wish to add my personal apology, on behalf of SCO, to you
Linux enthusiasts.
-Dion

Dion L. Johnson II  - The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc. - di...@sco.com
Czar of Free Stuff and Technical customers' advocate.
400 Encinal St.  Santa Cruz, CA 95061

Dear Linux Users,

Recently some of you have received a letter sent by SCO Services Sales,
promoting the features and benefits of SCO Unixware technology in comparison
with Linux and presenting a competitive trade-in offer to switch from Linux
to SCO Unixware products.

Regrettably, that letter was created and mailed out without adequate
reviews. SCO wishes to apologize to you as the content and the tone of the
letter was offensive. We assure you that measures have been taken to ensure
that such an occurrence does not happen again.

For almost 20 years of UNIX system leadership we have taken pride in
treating competitive products--and more importantly, their users--with
respect and dignity. These days, it is more important than ever for both
users and vendors of UNIX products, including Linux, to recognize the
essential goals and some of the challenges we have in common, and to work
towards developing innovative solutions using the appropriate tools as each
of us sees fit.

While SCO is committed to offering the best and most innovative solutions
for its customers, we respect and value the creativity of other vendors from
which mutually beneficial innovations are born. In this spirit, I request
your acceptance of our sentiments and that the good folks at Red Hat post this
memo along side the original letter on their web site.

Sincerely,
Shamim Formoso,
Vice President, Partner Programs, SCO