From: Kurt Garloff <K Garloff ping de>
To: AXP List <axp-list redhat com>
Subject: [OFFTOPIC] 21264 and future of RISCs
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 10:08:39 +0200

Hi, this is offtopic, but I thought it might interest a lot of people, so
I send a few lines.

In the recent issue of the german computer mag, c't, is an article about the
21264. There's a detailed technical description of the architecture and and
explanation why it's powerful.
According to the article, EV67-800 (4Q/98, 0.28\mu) will have about 50/75
SPECint95/fp95 resp.
However, when intel will release it's IA64 (Merced) in mid-2000
(optimistically), their CPU is likely to score 40-50/75 (0.18\mu).
Alpha by this time will have EV7-1200 (0.18\mu) with 90/135 which is almost
the double.

According to the article, other RISCs will disappear.
SGI (Rx0000) switches to IA64, Sun (SPARC) switches to IA64, HP of course
(they are part of the IA64 project).
Only IBM wants to make Power3, which will be some sort of unification
between PowerPC and the Power processors for AS/400,RS/6000. This one is to
be released by the end of the year (SPECs:>30/>70).

So, if I don't miss anything, there will be just three major RISC
architectures left. Think about it....
It's a little bit strange to see, that Digital are 2 years, IBM 1.5 years
ahead of intel (HP, SGI and Sun also were ahead), but everybody switches to
IA64. (There will be a couple of Unices for IA64, at least Sun's Solaris, and
HP-UX. SGI seems to go NT.)
It seems that it's getting harder and harder to make money with CPUs.
(Think of Cray.)

I hope, that at least Digital and IBM will survive the intel attack and that
Linux will support all of these three platforms. I don't know, if IBM is
cooperative, but at least, we know, Digital used to support Linux. I hope
this won't change with Compaq.

Have a nice day ...
--
Kurt Garloff, Dortmund