From: "Jon 'maddog' Hall, USG Senior Leader" <hall at zk3.dec.com
Sender: owner-bod at li.org
To: bod at li.org, tb at li.org, officers at li.org
Cc: hall at zk3.dec.com
Subject: Compaq's support of Linux
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 98 21:43:12 -0400

On Tuesday, September 15th, 1998 in Paris, France at our user event named
"Eureka", and again on October 5th at DECUS in Los Angeles, Compaq Computer
Corporation announced intent to extend their support to the Linux(R) operating
system to include Intel as well as the Alpha platforms.  In addition to
extending this support to another architecture, Compaq is in the process of
putting together a comprehensive program of Linux support.

This support includes, but is not limited to:

        o working with the Linux community to port Linux to new platforms
        o qualification of Linux on both Intel and Alpha platforms
        o providing selected platforms with no license, specifically for Linux
          and other freely available operating systems
        o working with the Linux community and distributions to provide
          world-wide telephone and hardware support
        o porting selected Compaq software products to both Intel and Alpha
          platforms

In continuing the concept of working with the Linux community, Compaq intends
to extend its Linux support through its extensive channels partner programs.
Compaq feels that this will give the broadest possible selection of products
and solutions to our end customers, with our VARs, OEMs, Distributors and
Resellers working with the customer to match the distribution, the layered
products and third party offerings to that customer's needs.

While it will take a little while for this program to be put into complete
action, there has been a lot of excitement inside Compaq since this decision
was announced by John Rose, Vice President of Compaq, at our European User's
event.  Indeed both Compaq and one of our channel partners, Hallmark, showed
a licenseless AlphaServer 800 machine qualified for the Alpha Linux operating
system at ISPcon in San Jose this month.

Warmest regards,

Jon "maddog" Hall

Jon "maddog" Hall                     Internet: maddog at zk3.dec.com
Senior Leader, UNIX Software Group    Executive Director, Linux(R) Intern'l

Compaq Computer Corporation           Linux International
Mailstop ZK03-2/U15                   80 Amherst St.
110 Spit Brook Rd.                    Amherst, N.H. 03031-3032 U.S.A.
Nashua, N.H. 03062-2698 U.S.A.

WWW: http://www.compaq.com            WWW: http://www.li.org
Voice: +1.603.884.1341                Voice: +1.603.672.4557
FAX: +1.603.884.6424                  Board Member: Uniforum Association
Office: ZK03-2/V15                    Board Member: USENIX Association

(R)Linux is a trademark of Linus Torvalds in the United States and other
countries.