Tech Insider					   Technology and Trends

			   USENET Archives

From: di...@netcom.com (William R. Dirks)
Subject: Can't write vmalloc() mem in interrupt, 2.1.125/6
Date: 1998/10/23
Sender: di...@netcom17.netcom.com
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.development.system

I seem to have found a serious bug in the current kernels, and I haven't
seen any mention of it.

I have a module (a video capture driver), and any write to vmalloc()ed
memory buffers that I do at interrupt time (in bottom half) does not
appear in the buffer when the buffer is read later. I tried writing to
the buffer in non-interrupt code, and that works.

There is no fault. I don't know where the memory accesses are going.

I developed this module on 2.1.106, where it works fine. I recently got
2.1.125, and noticed this problem. I now have the 2.1.126-2 patch, and it
is still there.

I have a K6 and I compiled the kernel for 686/K6. At least one other
person has seen this, so it is not just me or my system. Does anybody
know anything about this?

Bill.

Electronic mail:			      WorldWideWeb:
   tech-insider@outlook.com		         http://tech-insider.org/