To: nylug-talk@electriclichen.com, nylug-announce@electriclichen.com
Subject: [nylug-talk] erroneous information on LinuxToday and COLA
From: Jim Gleason <jgleason@electriclichen.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 14:00:30 -0800
Sender: owner-nylug-talk@electriclichen.com

Hello Everybody,

Letting you all know that there was a false article published this morning
which stated that the New YorK linux Users Group had merged with another
local Linux users group and that meetings take place at a different time
and place. This is is all untrue, so not to worry.

Dave Whitinger of Linux Today just called me to confirm this information
and it turns out that he saw it on COLA and thought it would make a good
story, and published it on the Linux Today site. He's clear on everything
now and will soon be posting a correction.

- Jim

Electric Lichen L.L.C.----------------------------------------------------
phone: 718-858-4349			fax:   718-858-4242
2124 Broadway, Suite 374		email: jgleason@electriclichen.com
New York, NY 10023			http://electriclichen.com
					http://www.nylug.org

> Letting you all know that there was a false article published this morning
> which stated that the New YorK linux Users Group had merged with another
> local Linux users group and that meetings take place at a different time
> and place. This is is all untrue, so not to worry.
>
> Dave Whitinger of Linux Today just called me to confirm this information
> and it turns out that he saw it on COLA and thought it would make a good
> story, and published it on the Linux Today site. He's clear on everything
> now and will soon be posting a correction.
>
> - Jim
>
> Electric Lichen L.L.C.----------------------------------------------------
> phone: 718-858-4349			fax:   718-858-4242
> 2124 Broadway, Suite 374		email: jgleason@electriclichen.com
> New York, NY 10023			http://electriclichen.com
> 					http://www.nylug.org

I have not yet read the erroneous story, but just one note of
clarification:

LXNY is an organization in support of free software.

LXNY is not:

1.  an Apache user group,

2.  a FreeBSD user group,

3.  a Ghostscript user group,

4.  a bind user group,

5.  a gcc user group,

etc..

Most of our members run a free OS with a Linux kernel.  But if every
member were to start using some other kernel this would not affect the
fundamental work of LXNY.  We would likely have some meetings on the new
kernel, and try to get its authors to come and tell us about it, but that
is it.

http://www.lxny.org/welcome.html

Jay Sulzberger <secretary@lxny.org>
Corresponding Secretary LXNY
http://www.lxny.org

PS.  Check the LXNY website tomorrow morning for news of New York City
Refund Day!