Linux and DVDs
This page is very sparse at the moment, but will hopefully grow in the future.
If anyone can get documentation for the C-Cube Ziva DS DVD decoder, please email
me. Currently I have parts of the Creative overlay working in software playback
mode (non-MPEG mode; i.e. without using the Ziva).
- Alan Cox' Video4Linux [ http://roadrunner.swansea.uk.linux.org/v4l.shtml
] web page. Pretty much the best resource at the moment for video and Linux.
- Nathan Laredo's [ http://linuxtv.openprojects.net/ ] pages with some excellent
stuff he's working on with Linux TV and software MPEG-II decoding (you can use
this to watch unencrypted DVDs at the moment!).
- Linux UDF filesystem support [ http://trylinux.com/projects/udf/index.html
]. Very important aspect of future DVD-RAM and future UDF-only DVDs (current
ones are bridged ISO9660/MicroUDF format).
Encrypted DVD Support for Linux
To support playing of encrypted DVD Video streams under Linux, an extension is
needed to the Linux CD-ROM interface to support CSS key negotiation and decryption.
DVD CSS works in an interesting manner to achieve a secured disc key transfer. First,
it uses an asymmetric form of encryption to negotiate a secure channel for which
it then transfers the necessary information (which is based on a modified DES algorithm,
which is symmetric) to the DVD decoding device so it can decrypt the DVD.
Current Creative Encore Driver Hardware Playback Snapshot [Last update: 11/27/98]
ALPHA driver code. Ziva DSC info sought, and communication with Creative Labs
is welcome, including possible NDA (please contact me for further info). Update:
2/4/99: Talking to Creative, cannot discuss more at the moment. When something comes
up I will update this page.
- Status: Alpha, pops up an overlay window which can be written to in close
proximity to the display window. Control of AnP-82 is implemented. Requires
the DVD-ROM ioctls patch below.
- encore-linux-0.0.19.tar.gz [11/27/98] [ http://www.rpi.edu/~veliaa/linux-dvd/encore-linux-0.0.19.tar.gz
- encore-linux-0.0.18.tar.gz [10/20/98] [ http://www.rpi.edu/~veliaa/linux-dvd/encore-linux-0.0.18.tar.gz
Current DVD-ROM ioctls patch [11/27/98]
This patch adds DVD-ROM detection and three DVD-specific ioctls to the header, as well as the implementation of those ioctls for the Linux IDE
CD-ROM driver. It is a relatively simple patch, although it may change to improve
compatibility with other Unices, or when it actually starts getting used for CSS
- Status: Alpha, CSS authentication not actually tested with a real decoder.
Interface will probably change.
- linux-dvd-2.1.130-1.diff.gz [11/27/98] [ http://www.rpi.edu/~veliaa/linux-dvd/linux-dvd-2.1.130-1.diff.gz
- linux-dvd-2.1.125-1.diff.gz [10/14/98] [ http://www.rpi.edu/~veliaa/linux-dvd/linux-dvd-2.1.125-1.diff.gz
- linux-dvd-2.1.121-1.diff.gz [9/15/98] [ http://www.rpi.edu/~veliaa/linux-dvd/linux-dvd-2.1.121-1.diff.gz
Andrew Veliath <firstname.lastname@example.org>, <email@example.com>
Copyright 1999 http://www.rpi.edu/~veliaa/linux-dvd/