From: Josef Grosch <jgro...@mooseriver.com>
Subject: BAFUG participation in Bay Area Microsoft Refund Day
Date: 1999/02/12
Sender: n...@news1.mpcs.com
Newsgroups: mpc.lists.freebsd.chat,muc.lists.freebsd.chat

On Monday, February 15, the Bay Area FreeBSD community can join with
other PC users in returning unused, unwanted, bundled copies of Win9x
and other Microsoft software _to Microsoft_ in Foster City, for
refund.  With television coverage and reporters from all over the
world.

(This right is guaranteed by _Microsoft's own_ license contract.
See:  http://www.nl.linux.org/geldterug/license.html)

The event is being coordinated with similar events (the same day)
in Orange County, New York City, New Zealand, France, Japan, and the
Netherlands -- and has gotten huge amounts of publicity.  See:
http://hugin.imat.com/refund/coverage.html   (all articles, and timeline)

Main Windows Refund Day sites:
    * http://hugin.imat.com/refund/      <- Monitor this one for the Bay Area.
    * http://LinuxMall.com/refund/
    * http://zork.net/refund/
    * http://www.deirdre.org/rebellion.html
    * http://www.netmonger.net/~onr/refund.html
    * http://hugin.imat.com/refund/japan/
    * http://www.nl.linux.org/geldterug/
    * http://www.linux-center.org/detaxe/index.shtml
    * http://www.uniforum.org.nz/windowsrefund/

Here in the Bay Area, *BSD and Linux people are invited to
assemble at any of four "posse" locations, _before_ 10 AM, Monday,
when we will all carpool/caravan to Foster City.

Open-source essayist Eric S. Raymond will be there.  The band
"Severe Tire Damage" ("the first band on the Internet") is supposed
to be do a gig there, AND send it out over the MBONE.

Is Microsoft just a tad nervous?  They might be, given that we
troublemakers have already transformed two of their recent company
PR events into open-source ones:

    * http://www.svlug.org/events/tea-party-199811.shtml
    * http://hugin.imat.com/svlug/
    * http://www.penguincomputing.com/svlug-rally.html
    * http://hugin.imat.com/launch98/
    * http://www.svlug.org/events/launch98.shtml

We are also getting a large amount of press coverage. At last count we had
62 articles including ones from India, Malaysia, France, Australia, New
Zealand, England, Sweden, and the Netherlands. Copies of these articles can
be found at http://hugin.imat.com/refund/coverage.html

A whole flock of people from SCO are even hoping to turn up, _and_
maybe some from Sun Microsystems.  And that's not to mention the
party in San Francisco, afterwards.

(IMPORTANT:  See http://hugin.imat.com/refund/directions.html
for full details on the following, including directions and maps.)

    ==> Mountain View: Meet Posse organizer Chris Di Bona outside VA
        Research, 1235 Pear Ave. #111. near N. Shoreline Blvd. Also, please
        notify Chris immediately that you will be coming, at
        m...@linuxmafia.com. (Directions.) (Map.)

    ==> Oakland: Meet Posse organizer Scott McNeil at the passenger pickup
        zone at the entrance to MacArthur BART, no later than 10 AM. Also,
        please notify Scott immediately that you will be coming, at
        e...@linuxmafia.com. Please include if you can offer or are in need
        of a ride! Please note that the BART parking lot is for BART
        patrons. There is nearby on-street parking. (Directions.) (Map.)

    ==> San Francisco: Meet Posse organizer Rick Moen inside The CoffeeNet
        Internet cafe, 744 Harrison @ 3rd/4th Streets, no later than 10
        AM. Also, please notify Rick immediately that you will be coming,
        at s...@linuxmafia.com. (Directions.) (Map.)

    ==> Santa Clara: Meet Posse organizer Ian Kluft outside the Hotel
        Marriott Santa Clara, 2700 Mission College Blvd @ Great America, at
        the "F7" parking post near the tennis courts. Also, please notify
        Ian immediately that you will be coming, at
        s...@linuxmafia.com. (Directions.) (Map.)

Stick around, because we're also going to have a party to remember
afterwards, at The CoffeeNet in San Francisco.

Wear your BSD t-shirts!  Bring pitchforks and images of Chuck the daemon!
Heck, bring BSDI and the blessed ghost of CSRG; it's going to be a blast,
in any event.

This notice is also available on the BAFUG web site at
http://www.bafug.org/RefundDay.html

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a |    FreeBSD 3.0
jgro...@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | UNIX for the masses