List:       linux-video
Subject:    Linux DVD
From:       Marshall Goldberg < mgoldberg () sdesigns ! com>
Date:       1999-02-25 1:58:46

We still hope to develop Linux drivers this Spring or Summer for one of
our MPEG/DVD decoder boards. No promises or announcements yet, but we're
certainly going to give it a try. I've been lurking on this list for a
while to start understanding what we need to do to support the Linux
community.

Unfortunately, because of the CSS, Macrovision and Regional encryption
schemes, and the Dolby Digital and other licenses, we cannot publish the
source code for DVD playback. We've invested heavily in DVD, and we
don't want Hollywood to cut back on new releases because of their fears
of piracy.

Besides that, I've got a few dozen titles at home now, plus the Dolby
Digital surround set-up, and the player, and I really don't want to see
DVD turn into Betamax.

So, while we can't help anybody crack DVD, we hope to come up with a
really good driver with an API that will let Linux programmers create
useful applications which can control changers, run video walls, and do
other really cool stuff with DVD and Linux. It's possible that we'll
provide only the API and driver, and let the Linux community develop the
DVD player applications.

Marshall Goldberg
Sigma Designs, Inc.
mgoldberg@nospam-sigmadesigns.com