		        NYLUG Mailing List Archives

To: lmoser@prodigy.net, bingalls@panix.com
Subject: [nylug-talk] Big Ass Kernels
From: Jason Perlow <perlow@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 14:52:45 PDT
Cc: nylug-talk@electriclichen.com
Sender: owner-nylug-talk@electriclichen.com

Similarly, I wouldn't be able to put /lib on a partition of my external
disk, because I need the modules to initialize my SCSI adapter. (I
suppose I could recompile my kernel to include support for it.)

Lately, I've been building pretty monolithic kernels .. I'm not so keen on
the whole module thing, I guess its just my System V upbringing. Redhat
installs modular kernels with initial ramdisks by default, it kinda annoys
me. Last night I did the 2.2.10 thing, I just made xconfig , picked all the
crap I had, and threw it all in there and made dep and bzImage  and updated
lilo.conf.

By the way, whats the upper limit on compressed kernel size? Mine is up to
like 760k now...

         __                           perlow@hotmail.com
        / /___ __________  ____   jason@argonautsystems.com
  / /_/ / /_/ (__  ) /_/ / / / /      Contributing Editor
  / /_/ / _ \/ ___/ / __ \ | /| / /   Sr. Technical Editor
/ ____/  __/ /  / / /_/ / |/ |/ /      Windows CE Power
  138 Vista Drive, Cedar Knolls NJ 07927  (973)451-0215