List:       linux-video
Subject:    MPEG+TV-out
From:       Ury Segal <ury () cs ! huji ! ac ! il>
Date:       1999-07-18 12:36:06

Hi

I am willing to write a driver for some DVD card that have an MPEG-2
decoder on it.

The question is - what card ?

I understand that some DVD cards have drivers but only for reading the
files.
I also want the card to be -

1 - popular
2 - have a TV-out port.

Any suggestions ?

--ury

List:       linux-video
Subject:    Re: MPEG+TV-out
From:       "Michael H. Warfield" <mhw () wittsend ! com>
Date:       1999-07-18 14:01:39

Ury Segal enscribed thusly:
> Hi

> I am willing to write a driver for some DVD card that have an MPEG-2
> decoder on it.

> The question is - what card ?

> I understand that some DVD cards have drivers but only for reading the
> files.
> I also want the card to be -

> 1 - popular
> 2 - have a TV-out port.

> Any suggestions ?

	I nominate the following:

	Sigma Designs REALmagic Hollywood+ Playback Card.

		http://www.sigmadesigns.com/product_hw+.htm

	This is the card that comes with the Toshiba DVD-Roms.  Pawing around
the STB site, it appears that they are pushing this card and the primary
chips it uses as an OEM to DVD vendors, so we could see it pop up bundled
with other drives as well.

	From looking at the chips, it appears to have the decoding on
the board.

	VLSI Chips on board:

	Sigma Designs	EM8300		MPEG-2/DVD Decoder
	Sigma Designs	EM9010		Video overlay controller
	Unknown Manf	V53C832HQ35 (2)
	Analog Devices	ADV7175AKS

	Inputs:		VGA-IN
			CD-IN	(On board)
	Outputs:	VGA-OUT
			TV-OUT	(S-Video)
			Digital Out (RCA Jack)
			Line Out (Sterio mini-phono)
			Line Out (On board)

	The Sigma Designs EM8300 and EM9010 chips are available as OEM
components, so it should be possible to get developer manuals, technical
specs, and guides from Sigma Designs.

	Sigma Designs is at:

		http://www.sigmadesigns.com

	Info on the EM8300 is at: