From: David Morton <morto...@osprey.net>
Subject: Out of Memory, filesystem corruption problems on 2.2.11:
EATA & SMP  problem?
Date: 1999/09/20
Sender: owner-linux-ker...@vger.rutgers.edu
To: linux-ker...@vger.rutgers.edu
Newsgroups: fa.linux.kernel

Hi,
I'm having some stability problems with 2.2.11.
I have a DPT SmartRaid IV   (PM3334UW)
SMP (dual 400's on a 100mgz bus)

I was running RH 5.0 and a kernel from the 2.0 series (not sure which
one)
which had an excellent track record.  I just upgraded to RH 6 and
compiled
the 2.2.11 kernel, to better use the SMP capabilities.

While compiling that kernel, I started getting ext2 errors, and on
reboot it had to
rebuild the drive.   A few days later, the system load went through the
roof
(around 50 before the system went completely unusable)  and there were
more
errors on reboot, even though I did succeed in shuting down properly.
Then, a few days later, (Sunday) I  walked in to find error message
like:

Out of memory for sendmail.

Out of memory for mingetty.

and so on...

Those crashes were using the recommended EATA/PCI  driver.    I just
recompiled to use
the EATA_DMA driver to see what happens.

Does anyone have any comments on this situation?  Let me know if I can
provide any more
information.

Please CC me  ( morto...@osprey.net ) with any replies.  Thanks!

*           David Morton                  *     morto...@osprey.net
*
*   Osprey Computer Technologies          *     http://osprey.net
*
*         1109 Commercial                 *     voice: (316) 342-9297
*
*        Emporia, KS 66801                *     fax: (316) 342-4836
*