From: jmayn...@thebrain.conmicro.cx (Jay Maynard)
Subject: Re: IBM's money thwarts the GPL.
Date: 1999/09/22
Newsgroups: gnu.misc.discuss

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999 11:13:55 -0400, chrism <chr...@FOUR.net> wrote:
>1. It is my understanding that IBM (who hired Rasmus Lerdorf, the lead
>developer and creator of PHP) has induced a situation where a leading
>web server scripting language, PHP, is being stripped of it's GPL'd license
>in all current development versions, specifically the new version: PHP4.

(IBM-bashing conspiracy theory snipped)

As I read it, the PHP license is much more free and open than the GPV
because it's not viral, while still providing for free and unlimited
redistribution in both source and binary forms. This can only be a Good
Thing.

People who contributed code to PHP since they added the PHP license have no
complaint coming unless they specifically limited that code to distribution
under the terms of the GPV, in which case the relevant code would have to be
removed from PHP before it is released under only the PHP license. The
authors of the code can change their minds and distribute it under any
license they choose; they cannot revoke any rights already granted, and so
previous versions of PHP can still be distributed under the GPV, but the new
version can be restricted as they please.