List:       linux-video
Subject:    full-rate recording
From:       Adam Fritzler <mid () auk ! cx>
Date:       1999-10-10 21:25:31

What is the minimum configuration required to record full-frame-rate (even
25fps would be good) video with sound at at least 320x240?

I'm trying to do this using a bttv on a k6-2 350mhz, 192mb RAM, recording
video to raw partitions on UDMA33 drives, using Justin Schoeman's Vstream
0.4.5.

I've been able to capture without dropping frames for about 15seconds, but
after that it starts going down.  Frame drop rates of 20% are normal past
20secs.  If I do a 'hdparm -c 3' to the drives (setting them to 32bit I/O
w/ sync), I can get the 20% down to 6% dropped frames.  However, at around
1000 frames, it starts getting unreasonable again.  I would think my
system is adequate for doing this level of recording, but possibly not.

Are there any other apps are out there for capturing movies?

af

---
  Adam Fritzler
  { mid@auk.cx, afritz@iname.com}
    http://www.auk.cx/~mid/
  "Something in my systray is blinking wildly." -- DS