	      Linux Video & DVD Project Mailing List Archives

From bon@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de Tue, 19 Oct 1999 22:55:36 +0200 (MEST)
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 22:55:36 +0200 (MEST)
From: Uwe Bonnes bon@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Subject: [Livid-dev] Any news?

Hallo,

after the rush of posting some week and a half ago, it seemed as if a
Linux version of the dvd ripper was imminent. I hoped for a version
able to decode to a pipe and Nist adapted to that.
The present situation ( ripping with dodsrip under wine) has the
problem of the 2 GByte Filesizelimitation and when I rip the rest of
one side of the DVD to a second file, I get no sound.

But now 5 days without any posting...

So perhaps this posting triggers further discussion...

Bye

Uwe Bonnes bon@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de

Free Software: If you contribute nothing, expect nothing

> after the rush of posting some week and a half ago, it seemed as if a
> Linux version of the dvd ripper was imminent. I hoped for a version
> able to decode to a pipe and Nist adapted to that.
> The present situation ( ripping with dodsrip under wine) has the
> problem of the 2 GByte Filesizelimitation and when I rip the rest of
> one side of the DVD to a second file, I get no sound.

If you pay attention to filesize you will see that DVD splits files
into 1GB files. This is so that every mainstream OS can deal with
it easily.

You should do the same.

A sane player will be able to concatenate files on playback.

As for dodsrip, I keep hearing "soon" for the linux version.

-- Nathan Laredo
laredo@gnu.org

Currently I'm working on a Version of NIST that can decode DVD's directly.
But I had a system crash and it will take maybe one more week before I can
publish a (binary) Version with integrated CSS decoder.

mfg
Joachim