From: David Edwards <gec...@offbeatmedia.com>
Subject: 2.2.13 oddity
Date: 1999/10/29
Sender: owner-linux-ker...@vger.rutgers.edu
To: linux-ker...@vger.rutgers.edu
Newsgroups: fa.linux.kernel

Hello,

I have a mix of fairly stock Redhat 5.2 and 6.0 apache web servers that I
recently moved to 2.2.13 kernels.  Prior to 2.2.13 I used 2.2.12.  With
both versions I have been experiencing lockups after a few days of
uptime.  Unfortunately, the boxes lock up completely and require a power
cycle, so I'm not left with much to debug these lockups with, no console
messages, nothing in the log files, etc.  Any suggestions as to what I
might be able to do to track this down would be appreciated.  Below is more
info about these servers.

Thanks,
David

None of the servers seem to be very overloaded, vmstat show what I would
think to be normal usage. (Correct me if I'm wrong)
    procs                      memory    swap          io     system
  cpu
 r  b  w   swpd   free   buff  cache  si  so    bi    bo   in    cs  us  sy  id
  0  0  0    312  23476 112632
183864   0   0    16    20  424   861   5   3  92

The hardware in each server is similar.
   PPro 200 or PII 350 or greater ( no smp)
   256 M ram or greater
   Buslogic 958
   UW scsi 9 gig
   3Com 905 or 900

About the only thing special I do with the kernel config is compile in
support for serial consoles.

[gecker@ns1 linux]$ grep '^[^#]' .config
CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL=y
CONFIG_M686=y
CONFIG_X86_WP_WORKS_OK=y
CONFIG_X86_INVLPG=y
CONFIG_X86_BSWAP=y
CONFIG_X86_POPAD_OK=y
CONFIG_X86_TSC=y
CONFIG_X86_GOOD_APIC=y
CONFIG_1GB=y
CONFIG_MTRR=y
CONFIG_MODULES=y
CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=y
CONFIG_KMOD=y
CONFIG_NET=y
CONFIG_PCI=y
CONFIG_PCI_GOANY=y
CONFIG_PCI_BIOS=y
CONFIG_PCI_DIRECT=y
CONFIG_PCI_QUIRKS=y
CONFIG_PCI_OLD_PROC=y
CONFIG_SYSVIPC=y
CONFIG_BSD_PROCESS_ACCT=y
CONFIG_SYSCTL=y
CONFIG_BINFMT_AOUT=m
CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF=y
CONFIG_BINFMT_MISC=m
CONFIG_PARPORT=m
CONFIG_PARPORT_PC=m
CONFIG_PNP=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDETAPE=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD640=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RZ1000=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_NBD=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD=y
CONFIG_PARIDE_PARPORT=m
CONFIG_PACKET=y
CONFIG_NETLINK=y
CONFIG_NETLINK_DEV=y
CONFIG_UNIX=y
CONFIG_INET=y
CONFIG_IP_PNP=y
CONFIG_IP_ALIAS=y
CONFIG_SYN_COOKIES=y
CONFIG_SKB_LARGE=y
CONFIG_SCSI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y
CONFIG_CHR_DEV_ST=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR=m
CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN=y
CONFIG_SCSI_CONSTANTS=y
CONFIG_SCSI_AIC7XXX=m
CONFIG_AIC7XXX_CMDS_PER_DEVICE=8
CONFIG_AIC7XXX_RESET_DELAY=5
CONFIG_SCSI_BUSLOGIC=m
CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX=y
CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_DEFAULT_TAGS=4
CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_MAX_TAGS=32
CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_SYNC=20
CONFIG_NETDEVICES=y
CONFIG_DUMMY=m
CONFIG_NET_ETHERNET=y
CONFIG_NET_VENDOR_3COM=y
CONFIG_EL3=m
CONFIG_VORTEX=m
CONFIG_NET_EISA=y
CONFIG_DE4X5=m
CONFIG_DEC_ELCP=m
CONFIG_EEXPRESS_PRO100=m
CONFIG_PPP=m
CONFIG_SLIP=m
CONFIG_VT=y
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_SERIAL=y
CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS=y
CONFIG_UNIX98_PTY_COUNT=256
CONFIG_MOUSE=y
CONFIG_PSMOUSE=y
CONFIG_82C710_MOUSE=y
CONFIG_QUOTA=y
CONFIG_ISO9660_FS=y
CONFIG_JOLIET=y
CONFIG_PROC_FS=y
CONFIG_DEVPTS_FS=y
CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y
CONFIG_BSD_DISKLABEL=y
CONFIG_NLS=y
CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_437=m
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y

-
the body of a message to majord...@vger.rutgers.edu

I had similar problems on really loaded servers (with 3c905 cards too).
Any of the boxes are running 2.0 kernels?
Have you tried another kernels ?

   - Marcelo

-
the body of a message to majord...@vger.rutgers.edu