Gerd Knorr <email@example.com>
3.0rc1 => 3.0
- Added station selection by "two-digit" selection. All stations are numbered
in .xawtv order; entering two numbers within 5 seconds are interpreted as station
number which should be tuned. You'll have to use the keypad in xawtv. Should
work with lirc too (using the new "keypad" command).
- global spellfix s/lauch/launch/. Attention, this might affect your config
- channel editor fixes.
- F5-F12 (bright/color/... adjust by keyboard) is back.
3.0beta9 => 3.0rc1
- updated v4l2 driver to the new interface.
- some finetuning in the v4l2 driver.
- cleaned up v4l-conf.c
- renamed the frequency tables: removed the TV norm from the name to avoid
- the usual set of bugfixes.
3.0beta8 => 3.0beta9
- webcam: can set input/norm now.
- webcam: new cgi script for continously updated image (netscape only, uses
- the usual set of bugfixes.
- write list index for avi files, mjpeg support (with some code from Michael
Nastvogel <firstname.lastname@example.org>) mjpeg is still buggy...
- added new frequency table for france (LOUIS-SIDNEY Rodolphe <email@example.com>)
3.0beta7 => 3.0beta8
- add a new switch (-a) to v4l-conf for setting the base address. This should
make bttv configuration more easy if the X-Server lacks DGA support.
- fixed the Makefiles for building in a subdirectory (i.e handle "mkdir build;
cd build; ../configure && make" correctly). Now I can switch from ppc to i386
without "make distclean" :-)
- Plenty of fixes for the channel editor. Seems nobody uses it, it must have
been broken for weeks...
- fbtv+xawtv refuse to work when installed suid root now. This is /not/ needed,
only v4l-conf requires root priviliges.
- v4l2: added tuner support, minor fixes.
- added channel 36 for australia, this one was missing for some reason...
3.0beta6 => 3.0beta7
- Added autoscroll for the station menu. Xaw3d has some redraw problems with
this. Probably some library bug, it does not happen with Xaw. Workaround idea
- Misc bugfixes.
- Documentation updates. To be continued...
3.0beta5 => 3.0beta6
- minor appdefauls fixes (wheel-mouse was broken).
- config file parser rewritten. config file format is slightly modified, check
the xawtv man page.
- unbundled kradio to avoid the KDE compile hassle.
- fullscreen fixes.
- xawtv-remote supports multiple xawtv instances (querys all xawtv windows,
not just the first one it finds, new switch '-i' to set the window ID when passing
commands to xawtv).
3.0beta4 => 3.0beta5
- Added support for qcams (capture via read() system call)
- yuv capture support (???, I've already deleted this mail)
- radio fixes (from debian bugtraq)
3.0beta3 => 3.0beta4
- merged some new code for radio from Juli Merino <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- wrote a man-page for radio
- added v4l-conf security fixes from Olaf Kirch <email@example.com>
- lirc bugfix.
- xawtv can use another than the default visual now. Not bugfree yet.
3.0beta2 => 3.0beta3
- started updating the documentation.
- reorganized source code tree.
- removed the hardcoded maxsizes from grab-v4l.c
- rewrote the attribute (color/hue/... + audio) handling
3.0beta1 => 3.0beta2
- ditched getopt(), using the Xt lib / X11 resources instead. This has the
effect that the options work a bit different now.
- added v4lctl utility. This allows to control alot v4l options from the command
line. Obsoletes set-tv.
- set-tv.c and streamer-old.c moved into the new "oldstuff" directory.
- alot of xawtv fixes -- more features are working again.
- fbtv is updated too. It should accept lirc commands now exactly like xawtv.
2.45 => 3.0beta1
- Lot of internal changes. Separate the control code from the GUI. Simplifies
the the xawtv-remote and lirc support, makes xawtv and fbtv share more code.
Lot of stuff is broken currently...
2.44 => 2.45
- Added a 'back' key which switches back to the last station tuned in. Mapped
to BackSpace. Pressing backspace multiple times zaps between the last two stations.
- The applications configured with "lauch=..." in ~/.xawtv are listed in a
window now ('L' displays it). Allocation bug in the config file parser fixed.
- switched back from double to float for X-Resources.
2.43 => 2.44
- fbtv: added -q switch. This turns of status messages + clock, and fbtv does'nt
reserve space for the status line (i.e. you'll can get true full screen)
- started lirc support (currently some debug code only...)
- changed float to double for X resources (Xaw scrollbars). This fixes problems
on alpha and seems to work fine on intel. Hope I did'nt broke ppc...
- fixed the radio programs (mute on exit). Untested.
- webcam bugfix (switching to binary mode must be done _after_connecting).
2.42 => 2.43
- Xvideo updates
- some bttv changes to make it more compatible to the kernel version, added
patches from Greg Alexander <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
- removed the "unmute-on-open", Updated the open/close for radio too. bttv
radio should behave like all other radio drivers do (i.e. you have to open the
device only if you want to change some settings).
- Unbundled the bttv driver, my bttv code is available as another tar file
at the same location (bttv-0.6.3a currently).
- Errors (at least some :-) are reported with a dialog box now, not only to
- channel handling is completely rewritten. If you change the frequency table,
all frequencies for the programmed stations are recalculated now.
- added some missing channels for japan.
- streamer: the -i and -n switches work again.
- xawtv dumped core with nonaudio devices, fixed (Pauline Middelink <email@example.com>)
- updated videodev2.h
2.41 => 2.42
2.40 => 2.41
- completed avi recording code in xawtv.
- renamed streamer to streamer-old and streamer-new to streamer. i.e. ther
new streamer tool is the default now.
- internal changes (for scanline length != image width)
- added grabdisplay mode to fbtv.
- Added some SR* channels to frequency table "pal-europe-east" (they are used
in Poland). Hmm, maybe I should reorganize the whole channel setup, it starts
getting difficuilt to maintain this the way it is implemented currently...
- Alpha cleanups (use long for pointers etc.) from Ralf Uhlig <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- mklinux support for v4l-conf (Takashi Oe)
- the "-x" option is gone, there are two new ones instead: "--nodga" to disable
DGA and "--novm" to disable VidMode.
- Added the capability to lauch programs from within xawtv.
- removed the "mute-on-close" from the bttv driver.
2.39 => 2.40
- Endian fixes from Takashi Oe (avi recording works now on big endian boxes).
- xawtv can record avi movies directly. ^S brings you to this dialog. Please
don't complain that you are missing options, this is on my TODO list. Everything
you can set for streamer with command line options will be available in xawtv
too. That stuff is work-in-progress, take the code as beta quality...
- Bug fixes and internal changes.
- security fixes from email@example.com: v4l-conf.c verifies the v4l major, /tmp
symlink fix for vtx.sh.
- msp3400 bug fixes, short programming (insmod option "simple=1") should work
now. With newer msp34xx chip versions you'll should get stereo for NTSC TV and
- more Xvideo code.
2.38 => 2.39
- added --shift option to xawtv, this can be used to shift the image if it
is outside the xawtv window.
- added time display to fbtv.
- stay-on-top added (works with gnome-compilant WM's)
- patches from Takashi Oe for devices without audio/tuner support.
- Found a new cool rpm feature (this one is new, eh?): "rpm -ta package.tar.gz"
will build nice rpm. No extra spec file needed any more :-)
- Started Xvideo support.
- A few internal changes.
2.37 => 2.38
- snapshot filename handling has changed: Files are saved with a timestamp
(YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS) and channel in the filename.
- xawtv is ^^^^ y2k compilant :-)
- new config file entry: "jpeg-quality"
- webcam utility updated. It's now working with the v4l2 winnov videum driver
- good news for *.fr: more msp3400 fixes, NICAM/AM should finally work now.
2.36 => 2.37
- fixed minor compile problems on 2.0.x.
2.35 => 2.36
- documentation updates, new FAQ for sound trouble.
- streamer fixes (the endian fixes for 2.33 broke streamer)
- driver synced up with bttv 0.6.3
- misc minor bug fixes
2.34 => 2.35
- updated bttv to 0.6.2 and fixed the 2.0.x compile problems.
- msp3400 problems with 2.2.0pre7+ fixed.
2.33 => 2.34
- new NTSC-HRC frequency table, contributed by Erik Kiledal <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- 15 bpp was broken _again_. Fixed.
- driver: msp3400 updates. Tried to make nicam mono/stereo switching work,
but no success so far...
- bttv updated to 0.6.1
- DPMS support (turn it off for fullscreen TV), contributed by Martin Denn
2.32 => 2.33
- more patches from Takashi Oe (endian fixes, make fbtv work with DirectColor
- slighly modified audio handling (mono/stereo/bilangual, the driver returns
the valid choices instead of the current state now). This affects both xawtv
and driver and is _not_ backward compatible.
- various minor changes.
- new shell script for browsing videotext pages. requires a terminal with
> 24 lines.
2.31 => 2.32
- bugfix: changed bytesex.h to edian.h in x11.c
- bugfix: overlay did'nt work without DGA.
2.30 => 2.31
- more cleanups, the minor overlay flaws should be fixed.
- coded up v4l2 overlay support -- completely untested.
- minor fbtv fixes.
- started to shuffle around some code from streamer. The new version has another
name (streamer-new) for now. It can already handle v4l2, but can't be started
from the xawtv's frontend dialog box.
- remote display fixes (should work now if server and client have different
- Long options (thanks to Takashi Oe <email@example.com>).
- "xawtv --help" prints all options.
2.29 => 2.30
- much improved v4l2 support, it should be useable now. Only grabdisplay is
supported so far, overlay-only drivers will not work (yet).
- Some internal cleanups/rewrites, removed some hardcoded bttv stuff. Probably
introduced a few new bugs...
- pinned down the "segfault-on-exit" bug, credits to Electric Fence.
- added the "webcam" tool (does capture, annotate, jpeg-compress, ftp-upload)
- added showriff, for those who want to look into *.wav and *.avi files.
- bttv: msp3400 + tuner compile problems due to 2.1.127 changes fixed.
2.28 => 2.29
- rpm spec file fixes
- minor msp3400 changes (for miro)
- automatically generated diff's against Ralph's bttv version.
- fixed the broken channel list length define (that only-79-ntsc-channels
- If there is a configuration problem, xawtv will disable overlay and continue
instead of exiting.
- remote display works. Don't try this unless you have a _real_ fast network
or your own home network. Otherwise the network admin will ask what you are
doing within five minutes...
- started frontend dialog for streamer (Ctrl-S). Does already work, but needs
some more options to be really useful.
- started v4l2 support.
2.27 => 2.28
- The 'V' key toggles capture on/off now. If capture is switched off, xawtv
shows a static image.
- Added options to set TV norm and input to streamer. Webcam cronjobs don't
need set-tv any more :-)
- Picked up some patches from firstname.lastname@example.org for the bttv driver. The
Miro PCTV pro might work in stereo, SECAM should work again.
- Added autodetect for the Miro pro (untested).
- RPMified xawtv, thx to Mark Cooke <email@example.com> for the initial
spec file. No, I'm not going to upload RPM's, neither source nor binaries. I'll
upload the spec file, so you can easily build your own RPM's.
- removed the experimental driver from the package, it will be available separate.
- precompiled binaries are no longer included.
2.26 => 2.27
- fixed the msp34xx problem with new (bt878) Hauppauge boards.
2.25 => 2.26
- more driver PLL fixes
- added Hauppauge tuner autodetect (using eeprom)
- xawtv saves picture settings in channel switch now.
2.24 => 2.25
- Moved E2-E4 to E1-E3 by mistake in 2.22. Reverted this.
- radio is a nice curses application now.
- The driver should work again for PAL.
2.23 => 2.24
- v4l-conf changes
- bugfixes in config file parser and channel editor.
2.22 => 2.23
- bugfix: SExx channels did not work. (thanks to Michael Vogt <M.Vogt@ping.de>)
- documentation updates.
- increased the AUDIO_MUTE_DELAY value in bttv.c, this should reduce the channel-switch
- bttv: added changes from patch-2.1.120
2.21 => 2.22
- up to date with bttv 0.5.15
- fbtv fixes and improvements (console switching works again)
- streamer has a new switch to enable audio recording (off by default).
- Channels renamed again: S1 .. S20 is SE1 .. SE20 now. This should be correct
now. Reordered them (sorted by frequency now).
- Channels map for east europe (PAL D/K) added.
- channel editor bugfixes
2.20 => 2.21
- Updated driver to 0.5.14, this one is NOT backward compatible older versions.
- Updated Simon's i2c code.
- Updated the programs too.
- added avi recording to streamer.
2.19 => 2.20
- Makefile fixes
- Matrox off-by-1024 workaround improved.
- fbtv fixes, moved generic fb stuff to a separate file.
- grab-one is gone, there is streamer now. This one can do streaming capture
(and of cource still grab single frames as special case). JPEG support added.
2.18 => 2.19
- added man-pages for set-tv and fbtv
- zapped SuSE and installed RH51, the included precompiled binaries are glibc
- Unlocked the channel editor (overwrites the old config file now), it is
in the man-page now and has the hotkey 'E'. Be carefull, it will kill all comments
in the config file!
2.17 => 2.18
- added xawtv-remote ("remote control" for xawtv)
- hopefully completed channel list editor. But still in debugging mode, it
writes the config file to $HOME/.xawtv.out
2.17 => 2.18
- showstopper fixed: xawtv segfaults if there are channels without hotkeys
in your $HOME/.xawtv (thanks to Enrico Scholz <firstname.lastname@example.org>)
- v4l-conf fixed (was broken again for non-DGA Servers line AccelX)
2.16 => 2.17
- started channel list editor (Ctrl-L for now, will be changed later). Not
completed, you can't save your changes yet.
- driver updates
- added session management to kradio. Sort of. The KDE session management
functions have a major design bug, probably this works with the bug-compatible
kwm only :-(
- updates README
- wrote Programming-FAQ
- And probably a few other changes I forgot about...
2.15 => 2.16
- fixed v4l-conf, handles 15bpp now
- configure changes: try "./configure --help", there are some --enable-foo/--disable-foo
options now (default for them is enabled).
- moved some common code to separate source files.
- a few small driver fixes.
- added the -c switch to grab-one
2.14 => 2.15
- as allways, a few bug-fixes
- added the -c switch to set-tv
- i2c problems with hauppauge cards hopefully fixed now. Check bttv driver's
Makefile, the code disabled by default (we don't know what happens with other
- msp3400 uses soundcore instead of sound module (no oss needed any more,
tnx to Thomas Sailer <email@example.com>)
2.13 => 2.14
- station scan added (Ctrl-Up)
- onscreen display in fullscreen mode
- misc small enhancements.
- The '-c n' switch is gone, you can start xawtv with the station name on
the command line instead ("xawtv cnn" for example, like it already works for
fbtv and set-tv).
- Added a new '-c' switch, this is the video device now. Added this one for
xawtv and fbtv, changed from '-v' to '-c' for v4l-conf.
- removed vtx subdirectory. The driver is now in the 2.1.x tree. And for 2.0.x
it is useless anyway, it does'nt compile...
2.12 => 2.13
- Fixed Makefile bugs.
- switched to the new device files: s|/dev/bttv|/dev/video| MAKEDEV in bttv/driver
- Tried to catch that VidMode problem by version check: #define XXX_VERSION
(from xf86vmstr.h) against server's QueryVersion results. If this still does'nt
work: remember, there is the '-x' switch to workaround this...
- Fast channel scan (Ctrl-Z)
2.11 => 2.12
- added support for 8 bit Servers: Run the Server with StaticGray visual (-cc
0x27 for XFree) -- and you should get a b/w TV picture.
- fixed a few configure-script and #ifdef bugs
- modified channel maps again -- hope I got the european map is ok now. there
is only one map: pal-europe. This one should work for both cable and broadcast.
- driver changes (capture code -- the SYNC ioctl takes the frame number as
2.10 => 2.11
- bugfix: xawtv used to ignore "fine = ???" in the config file.
- added grab-one, a small tool to grab single, full-sized images. Use the
"-h" option for a short description.
- added channel window (try the 'C' key).
- Added "zap" mode: does channel hopping (tune in every station a few seconds).
- added fbtv (for framebuffer devices).
2.09 => 2.10
- glibc compile fixes (hopefully, have still libc5...)
- updated driver to bttv-0.5.8
- updated applications according to the grabbing changes in the bttv driver
- catched a bug in the config parser (was confused by spaces at end-of-line)
2.08 => 2.09
- 15 bit HiColor works now (fixed bttv driver and v4l-conf)
- renamed some frequency tables to make the names more consistent you might
have to fix the freqtab= setting in $HOME/.xawtv again...
- Added stereo support to the msp3400 volume mixer.
- Improved non-overlayed displaying (called grabdisplay in xawtv). Not rock-solid
yet, driver is'nt stable enouth wrt grabbing.
BTW: if you get "ioctl VIDIOCMCAPTURE: Try again" on stderr, it just means
that the bttv driver has no signal (i.e. no station tuned in, wrong TV norm,
something like that...).
- the doc subdirectory of the bttv distribution is included now.
- updated the driver to bttv-0.5.7
2.07 => 2.08
- Ha! Found a complete (?) frequency table on the web, using this one now
(and a complete different channel-to-freqency mapping method). Expect a few
new bugs and tuning problems -- pointers to frequency lists are welcome. Check
channels.h for details. The names of the freqency mappings have changed, you
have to adopt $HOME/.xawtv
- fixed a bug in the msp3400 module (system hangs on control thread kill)
- With the 2.1.x modular sound driver, the msp3400 module registers as mixer
device. This allows to control volume, bass and treble with a mixer application
of your choice.
- the config file parser prints more detailed error messages and does not
exit on errors.
- Added a workaround for buggy (wrt static gravity) Window managers, see manpage
- Started non-overlay displaying (try Shift-ESC). Not completed, not stable
- Changed v4l-conf handling: It is installed suid-root now and called by xawtv.
2.06 => 2.07
- Two hours after releasing 2.06 I noticed that the driver did'nt compile
with 2.0.33 :-(
2.05 => 2.06
- You can grab both full size and window size now (hold down Ctrl for window
- Merged some of the latest vger CVS changes to bttv-0.5.6 to keep both versions
in sync (at least the ioctl interface). The included driver version supports
currently both the new VIDIOCMCAPTURE+VIDIOCSYNC and old BTTV_GRAB+BTTV_SYNC.
xawtv uses the new ones. The minor numbers for vbi have changed (from 32 to
- hacked msp3400 stereo handling, it does permanent monitoring now and should
handle mono/stereo/bilang switches by the TV station correctly.
2.04 => 2.05
- Started writing a Changes file
- fixed a quite stupid getopt bug
- ditched support for the old-style bttv interface.
- The screen saver is turned off now in fullscreen mode
- xawtv can switch video modes now (for fullscreen mode). There is a new config
file entry for this, check the manpage.
- fixed configure script (check for c++ only if required)
- For the bleeding edge people:
Added some code for the new VIDIOCMCAPTURE and VIDIOCSYNC ioctl's (new video4linux
code in the vger CVS tree) as compile time option. The configure script should
detect the new version and use the kernel driver then.
The ioctl's are'n really new, the are basically slightly modified BTTV_GRAB
and BTTV_SYNC. Well, this change breaks _again_ grabbing applications, but now
there is a standardized interface for mmap-based grabbing available.
last update: Sun, 07 Nov 1999 22:10:07 CET