Tech Insider					   Technology and Trends


			   USENET Archives

From mastersj@periscope-systems.freeserve.co.uk Mon, 15 Nov 1999 16:30:55 +0000
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 16:30:55 +0000
From: Jon Masters mastersj@periscope-systems.freeserve.co.uk
Subject: [Livid-dev] Which card?

Hi,
	As you will no doubt be aware, I am new to this list. If you remember I
asked about the titanic DVD layer switching problem (no answer yet).

I bought a new (any region) DVD drive (Hitachi - firmware upgraded) 6X
the other day. I deliberately did _NOT_ buy an MPEG1/2 decoding card
because I am not sure which one is the best to get. I here a lot about
the Matrox card. I have never used or seen that card, and I am not an
expert on MPEG decoding cards. Could I please have a (non-biased please)
recommendation for a particular card which has the most support and is
likely to provide the best Linux DVD experience. I'm not too worried
about the card (I'm not paying for it anyway :-).

-- 
Jonathan C. Masters    wwwusers.brookes.ac.uk/95227860
jonathan@oxlug.org
What I want is all of the power and none of the responsibility.

From jfbeam@bluetopia.net Mon, 15 Nov 1999 12:06:25 -0500 (EST)
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 12:06:25 -0500 (EST)
From: Ricky Beam jfbeam@bluetopia.net
Subject: [Livid-dev] Which card?

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Jon Masters wrote:
>I bought a new (any region) DVD drive (Hitachi - firmware upgraded) 6X
>the other day. I deliberately did _NOT_ buy an MPEG1/2 decoding card
>because I am not sure which one is the best to get. I here a lot about
>the Matrox card. I have never used or seen that card, and I am not an
>expert on MPEG decoding cards. Could I please have a (non-biased please)
>recommendation for a particular card which has the most support and is
>likely to provide the best Linux DVD experience. I'm not too worried
>about the card (I'm not paying for it anyway :-).

There are only two that have an kind of support under linux -- if there are
more, people will pipe up...

The dxr2 board from Creative Labs.  CVS module: dxr2

The DVD add-on card for the G200 series Matrox cards.  CVS module: mgavideo
(and mga_vid.)  Matrox may create the same thing for the G400 boards, but
I doubt it as they appear to be doing the DVD decoding via WARP.

I'd like to see the Hollywood plus supported, but Sigma is being resistive
in handing over any specs for the EM9010 (overlay controler) or EM8300
(DVD (MPEG) decoder).  There's a post in the list archives from August
saying CSS was the reason they wouldn't release any docs.  Personaly, I
think that's a lame excuse -- so don't give us any of the CSS BS.  I want
access to the MPEG hardware anyway.

I've only used a H+.  I would suspect the Matrox setup (expensive and really
bites for game play) would have the best DVD display as it's all in the frame
buffer -- no PCI overlay into the FB, and no pass-thru cable.  On the H+, the
pass-thru is murder for the video signal and the cable is not a standard
HD15-HD15 cable that can be replaced easily.  And on my system, there's a
3 to 4 pixel alignment error in the overlay -- looks kindof funky.

--Ricky

PS: Don't RPC-2 drives have a connector for the decoder hardware to handle
    the key exchange?  (I've only scanned over the zoran specs.)

From mastersj@periscope-systems.freeserve.co.uk Mon, 15 Nov 1999 17:40:19 +0000
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 17:40:19 +0000
From: Jon Masters mastersj@periscope-systems.freeserve.co.uk
Subject: [Livid-dev] Which card?

Ricky Beam wrote:
> 
> On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Jon Masters wrote:
> >I bought a new (any region) DVD drive (Hitachi - firmware upgraded) 6X
> >the other day. I deliberately did _NOT_ buy an MPEG1/2 decoding card
> >because I am not sure which one is the best to get. I here a lot about
> >the Matrox card. I have never used or seen that card, and I am not an
> >expert on MPEG decoding cards. Could I please have a (non-biased please)
> >recommendation for a particular card which has the most support and is
> >likely to provide the best Linux DVD experience. I'm not too worried
> >about the card (I'm not paying for it anyway :-).
> 
> There are only two that have an kind of support under linux -- if there are
> more, people will pipe up...
> 
> The dxr2 board from Creative Labs.  CVS module: dxr2
> 
> The DVD add-on card for the G200 series Matrox cards.  CVS module: mgavideo
> (and mga_vid.)  Matrox may create the same thing for the G400 boards, but
> I doubt it as they appear to be doing the DVD decoding via WARP.
> 
> I'd like to see the Hollywood plus supported, but Sigma is being resistive
> in handing over any specs for the EM9010 (overlay controler) or EM8300
> (DVD (MPEG) decoder).  There's a post in the list archives from August
> saying CSS was the reason they wouldn't release any docs.  Personaly, I
> think that's a lame excuse -- so don't give us any of the CSS BS.  I want
> access to the MPEG hardware anyway.
> 
> I've only used a H+.  I would suspect the Matrox setup (expensive and really
> bites for game play) would have the best DVD display as it's all in the frame
> buffer -- no PCI overlay into the FB, and no pass-thru cable.  On the H+, the
> pass-thru is murder for the video signal and the cable is not a standard
> HD15-HD15 cable that can be replaced easily.  And on my system, there's a
> 3 to 4 pixel alignment error in the overlay -- looks kindof funky.
> 
> --Ricky
> 
> PS: Don't RPC-2 drives have a connector for the decoder hardware to handle
>     the key exchange?  (I've only scanned over the zoran specs.)
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Livid-dev maillist  -  Livid-dev@livid.on.openprojects.net
> http://livid.on.openprojects.net/mailman/listinfo/livid-dev

OK. So as I thought, Matrox is recommended. Anyone else got any ideas? I
should add that I currently have an ATI AIW PRO AGP 8Mb card which I
quite like (GATOS is comming along for TV Tuner functionality). I'm
really after a Linux supported add-on card that doesn't replace my main
card - do Matrox do such a card (I would have thought so).

P.S. How advanced is the hardware support - If I buy a Matrox card I
understand that only the TV out is working at the moment (I can simply
plug it in to the S-video in on my ATI card). How about control - when
watching the film, do you only have the start/stop functionality, or is
it possible to skip forwards an backwards through the video yet?

Thanks again,
		Jon.
-- 
Jonathan C. Masters
jonathan@oxlug.org
What I want is all of the power and none of the responsibility.

From scarabaeus@convergence.de Mon, 15 Nov 1999 18:53:49 +0100
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 18:53:49 +0100
From: Christian Wolff scarabaeus@convergence.de
Subject: [Livid-dev] Which card?

Ricky Beam wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Jon Masters wrote:
> >Could I please have a (non-biased please)
> >recommendation for a particular card which has the most support and is=

> >likely to provide the best Linux DVD experience. I'm not too worried
> >about the card (I'm not paying for it anyway :-).
> =

> There are only two that have an kind of support under linux -- if there=
 are
> more, people will pipe up...

There is another one. But it's not available, yet. 8-( =

BoMedia is about to release a DVD Decoder card named "RealDVDi",
featuring the LSI Logic L64021 decoder chip. Currently i am writing a
driver for this card, and i can already watch DVD's on pentium systems
with less than 100MHz. We're gonna release the driver as the card hits
the market. Watch http://linuxtv.org/dvd/ for more info.

-- =

Christian Wolff     *196807101035    53=B08'2" N    8=B013'20" E
http://www.scarabaeus.org/  mailto:scarabaeus@scarabaeus.org
check out http://betalounge.com/   http://www.convergence.de
+49-30-4473 6926,  Norwegerstr. 5.1, D-10439 Berlin, Germany
PGP Fingerprint:B871 358C 3F10 A5ED C41C B1DB B9F9 3C44/2048

From gregoire.favre@urbanet.ch Mon, 15 Nov 1999 18:53:19 +0100
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 18:53:19 +0100
From: Gregoire FAVRE gregoire.favre@urbanet.ch
Subject: [Livid-dev] Which card?

Jon Masters wrote:

> OK. So as I thought, Matrox is recommended. Anyone else got any ideas? I
> should add that I currently have an ATI AIW PRO AGP 8Mb card which I
> quite like (GATOS is comming along for TV Tuner functionality). I'm
> really after a Linux supported add-on card that doesn't replace my main
> card - do Matrox do such a card (I would have thought so).

Well, your card has DVD acceleration in it and as ATI is giving help to
programm it, we should see someone adding that feature under linux also?

From ATI Sales Support <sales@ati.com>:

Greg,
We have a Developer Relations group that could help you with the information
you require.

They can be reached @ 905-882-2600 ex.#6000 or @ their email address of
devrel@atitech.ca. Check out our web page at
http://www.atitech.com/ca_us/resource_centre/dev_rel/devrel.html for the
developer support section.

Should you have any further questions, Please feel free to contact us. 

Bob Thawer 
ATI Sales Support 
33 Commerce Valley Drive East, 
Thornhill, ONT L3T-7N6 
Telephone (905) 882-2600 Option# 4, 
Fax (905) 882-2620 
Email: sales@ati.com 
Check out our web site  http://www.ati.com <http://www.ati.com/>


Please, don't cc to me: I am on the list...

	Greg						ICQ:16624071
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Gregoire Favre, Institut de Mathématique de l'Universite de Lausanne
+41216923573,+41763231357, http://www.unil.ch/ima/docs/Personnes/gfavre

From mastersj@periscope-systems.freeserve.co.uk Mon, 15 Nov 1999 19:33:05 +0000
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 19:33:05 +0000
From: Jon Masters mastersj@periscope-systems.freeserve.co.uk
Subject: [Livid-dev] Which card?

Christian Wolff wrote:

> There is another one. But it's not available, yet. 8-(
> BoMedia is about to release a DVD Decoder card named "RealDVDi",
> featuring the LSI Logic L64021 decoder chip. Currently i am writing a
> driver for this card, and i can already watch DVD's on pentium systems
> with less than 100MHz. We're gonna release the driver as the card hits
> the market. Watch http://linuxtv.org/dvd/ for more info.

Yes, I've been following your site on that. I contacted LSI UK
(Bracknell, near to Reading where I live). I haven't heard back yet. I
wanted to get hold of one of their reference kits, since your page is a
tad vague on exactly when I can get hold of the card. Do you have any
further information please, any speculation as to when I can buy the
card?

Also, could you tell me what your driver will do at the moment - do I
have any navigation or menu functions, etc... - how easyily can they be
added - i.e. do you have enough access to the specs to complete the
driver?

Thanks once again,
		Jonathan.

-- 
Jonathan C. Masters
jonathan@oxlug.org
What I want is all of the power and none of the responsibility.

From masoto@uniandes.edu.co 15 Nov 1999 15:34:06 -0500
Date: 15 Nov 1999 15:34:06 -0500
From: Martin Soto masoto@uniandes.edu.co
Subject: [Livid-dev] Which card?

Gregoire FAVRE <gregoire.favre@urbanet.ch> writes:
> Jon Masters wrote:
> > OK. So as I thought, Matrox is recommended. Anyone else got any ideas? I
> > should add that I currently have an ATI AIW PRO AGP 8Mb card which I
> > quite like (GATOS is comming along for TV Tuner functionality). I'm
> > really after a Linux supported add-on card that doesn't replace my main
> > card - do Matrox do such a card (I would have thought so).
> 
> Well, your card has DVD acceleration in it and as ATI is giving help to
> programm it, we should see someone adding that feature under linux also?

Unfortunately, it seems that ATI is not providing information about
MPEG2 acceleration in their cards.  I'm quoting the following from
their Linux Developer Relations page
(http://www.ati.com/ca_us/resource_centre/dev_rel/linux.html):

  ATI is investigating the possibility of supporting MPEG2 / DVD
  hardware under Linux. Due to licensing and royalty agreements this
  driver may not be available as an open source release.  Please refer
  back to this web page to keep up to date on developments regarding
  MPEG2/DVD support.

Does anybody know if there are there any legal issues regarding MPEG2
(not DVD) the may prevent ATI from releasing the relevant information?

Regards,

M. S.
------------
Martin A. Soto J.                           Profesor
Departamento de Ingenieria de Sistemas y Computacion
Universidad de los Andes      masoto@uniandes.edu.co

From alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk Mon, 15 Nov 1999 23:10:43 +0000 (GMT)
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 23:10:43 +0000 (GMT)
From: Alan Cox alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Subject: [Livid-dev] Which card?

> Does anybody know if there are there any legal issues regarding MPEG2
> (not DVD) the may prevent ATI from releasing the relevant information?

For Mpeg2 there shouldnt be. Its likely to be no more than scaling and maybe
motion compensation helpers on card.

Also in the US if you get a product they have to include the patent rights
to use it. Obviously the DVD side, with css and the like is another matter

The fact that the DVD half is the half we know is ironic but doesnt help them

From scarabaeus@convergence.de Tue, 16 Nov 1999 10:59:52 +0100
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 10:59:52 +0100
From: Christian Wolff scarabaeus@convergence.de
Subject: [Livid-dev] Which card?

Jon Masters wrote:
> Christian Wolff wrote:
> > There is another one. But it's not available, yet. 8-(
> > BoMedia is about to release a DVD Decoder card named "RealDVDi",
> > featuring the LSI Logic L64021 decoder chip. Currently i am writing a=

> > driver for this card, and i can already watch DVD's on pentium system=
s
> > with less than 100MHz. We're gonna release the driver as the card hit=
s
> > the market. Watch http://linuxtv.org/dvd/ for more info.
> =

> Yes, I've been following your site on that. I contacted LSI UK
> (Bracknell, near to Reading where I live). I haven't heard back yet. I

Yes, someone from LSI Munich told me, they are doing the digital video
stuff in Bracknell. On the other hand, the best support i got so far was
from the silicon valley headquarter. Anyways, the reference card in
question and the windows driver was developed by videon central for LSI.
They also developed the hollywood plus, by the way.

> wanted to get hold of one of their reference kits, since your page is a=

> tad vague on exactly when I can get hold of the card. Do you have any
> further information please, any speculation as to when I can buy the
> card?

I don't think you can have any of the reference cards anymore, unless
they made a new batch. You could ask the guys at bomedia about the
release date.

> Also, could you tell me what your driver will do at the moment - do I
> have any navigation or menu functions, etc... - how easyily can they be=

> added - i.e. do you have enough access to the specs to complete the
> driver?

The driver itself allows playback of MPEG1 and 2 streams of any image
size up to TV resolution. It provides a 'DVD Driver API' for a DVD
navigator. See http://linuxtv.org/dvd/api/cvdvtypes.h

I am also developing a Navigator module to display menus and change
streams and angles and all that stuff. Since i have the Specs of the DVD
forum, and signed the NDA, i won't be able to release it as open source,
wich is a pity. The navigator provides a 'DVD Player API' for your
needs: http://linuxtv.org/dvd/api/DVDPlayerAPI.h

-- =

Christian Wolff *196807101035 53=B08'2" N 8=B013'20" E
http://www.scarabaeus.org/ mailto:scarabaeus@scarabaeus.org
check out http://betalounge.com/ http://www.convergence.de
+49-30-4473 6926, Norwegerstr. 5.1, D-10439 Berlin, Germany
PGP Fingerprint:B871 358C 3F10 A5ED C41C B1DB B9F9 3C44/2048

From justin@suntiger.ee.up.ac.za Tue, 16 Nov 1999 14:23:01 -0200
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 14:23:01 -0200
From: Justin Schoeman justin@suntiger.ee.up.ac.za
Subject: [Livid-dev] Which card?

There is one other card that may be a good option (particularly if you also 
want to receive digital satelite transmissions!):

http://www.thp.uni-koeln.de/~rjkm/linux/skyvis.html

This supports unencoded VOB playback, so it should be easy to incorporate into 
a DVD player.

(I haven't looked at it myself, but I saw it the other day while browsing the 
web...)

-justin

From andreas@andreas.org 16 Nov 1999 17:01:09 +0100
Date: 16 Nov 1999 17:01:09 +0100
From: Andreas Bogk andreas@andreas.org
Subject: [Livid-dev] Which card?

Justin Schoeman <justin@suntiger.ee.up.ac.za> writes:

> There is one other card that may be a good option (particularly if you also 
> want to receive digital satelite transmissions!):
> 
> http://www.thp.uni-koeln.de/~rjkm/linux/skyvis.html
> 
> This supports unencoded VOB playback, so it should be easy to incorporate into 
> a DVD player.

This card has the drawback that it depends on polling. Much better
suited is the card that's being produced by Siemens and Technotrend:

http://www.pc-werksverkauf.de/zubehoer/zubehoer3.htm

which we're writing drivers for now at the moment. I don't recommend
buying the card until we release the drivers however, Siemens is still
a little reluctant with that GPL stuff (although they helped us a lot
in developing these drivers in the first place, much the opposite of
Technotrend).

This card does only the MPEG2 decoding, so for the full DVD
functionality, a software SPU stream parser has to be written. But it
has to be written for Nist as well.

Andreas

-- 
"We should be willing to look at the source code we produce not as the
end product of a more interesting process, but as an artifact in its
own right. It should look good stuck up on the wall."
-- http://www.ftech.net/~honeyg/progstone/progstone.html

From mastersj@periscope-systems.freeserve.co.uk Tue, 16 Nov 1999 23:07:39 +0000
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 23:07:39 +0000
From: Jon Masters mastersj@periscope-systems.freeserve.co.uk
Subject: [Livid-dev] ```````````````````````````` Continuing DVD Problem
 '''''''''''''''''''''''

OK.
	Thanks for some of the replies that I have received so far.
Unfortunately nothing has helped - no it isn't double-sided (I think I
might have noticed and turned it over - just to please, I tried mounting
the printed side just for the sake of it without success!) - but it is
double layered. Thanks to the guy who suggested that I was in fact
seeing both layers and that I should "do the math", however, I'm still
unable to access any files past the seventh - there must be further
files on the disc since I just spent over two hours watching the video
(no fast forward ability) to get to the same point as it was before at
which point it crashed.

Here are the commands that I used to view the video

[mastersj@periscope DVD-easy]$ cat watch-dvd
#!/bin/sh
echo "This function was started on:"
date
esdctl off
# mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
mount -t udf /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
./tstdvd /dev/cdrom
# ./tstdvd /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom/video_ts/vts_01_1.vob
./tstdvd /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB
mv title-key title1-key
# cat /mnt/cdrom/video_ts/vts_01_[1-8].vob | ./css-cat -v1P -|
./mpeg2player -ns -fr 150 -q -vob -f -
cat /mnt/cdrom/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_[1-9].VOB | ./css-cat -v1P -|
./mpeg2player -ns -fr 150 -q -vob -f -


The output generated:

[root@periscope DVD-easy]# ./watch-dvd
This function was started on:
Tue Nov 16 20:52:05 GMT 1999
mount: block device /dev/cdrom is write-protected, mounting read-only
Authenticated
Request AGID [1]...	AGID 0
Host sending challenge:  REMOVED
LU sent key1:  REMOVED
Drive Authentic - using varient 5
LU sent challenge:  REMOVED
Host sending key 2:  REMOVED
DVD is authenticated
Received Session Key:	REMOVED
Authenticated
Received Disc Key:	REMOVED 
Authenticated
Authenticated
Request AGID [1]...	AGID 0
Host sending challenge:  REMOVED
LU sent key1:  REMOVED
Drive Authentic - using varient 5
LU sent challenge:  REMOVED
Host sending key 2:  REMOVED
DVD is authenticated
Received Session Key:	REMOVED 
Authenticated
Received Title Key:	REMOVED 
 CPM=1, CP_SEC=0, CGMS=3
Authenticated
Using Key 3
---------------------------------------------
Verbose					Off
File					-
SDU size				131072
Video Stream ID				0
Audio Stream ID				0
Frame rate				150
Audio					AC3
Audio buffer				102400
Audio Time Stamp buffer			1000
Video					On
Video buffer				1024000
Video Time Stamp buffer			1000
Sync audio/video			Off
---------------------------------------------
Start MPEG 2 Player

Playing MPEG 2 PS Audio/Video

-- ac3dec-0.5.5 (C) 1999 Aaron Holtzman (aholtzma@ess.engr.uvic.ca)
5.1 Mode 48 KHz    384 kbps Complete Main Audio Service
Not Pack start code
( the above line is repeated several hundred times then the video shows
the copyright screen and I have to ^C to end it)

I am using the latest UDF and CSS kernel patches.

OK here's the directory contents:

[mastersj@periscope mastersj]$ cd /mnt/cdrom
[mastersj@periscope cdrom]$ ls -la
total 137
dr-xr-xr-x   3 root     root          196 Jul 30 09:37 ./
drwxr-xr-x  10 root     root         1024 Nov  9 23:09 ../
-r--r--r--   1 root     root       132096 Jun 27 22:27 SYSCHECK.EXE
-r--r--r--   1 root     root         1362 Jun 24 20:07 TECHSUPPORT.HTM
dr-xr-xr-x   2 root     root          768 Jul 30 09:37 VIDEO_TS/
[mastersj@periscope cdrom]$ cd VIDEO_TS/
[mastersj@periscope VIDEO_TS]$ ls -la
total 7585704
dr-xr-xr-x   2 root     root          768 Jul 30 09:37 ./
dr-xr-xr-x   3 root     root          196 Jul 30 09:37 ../
-r--r--r--   1 root     root        12288 Jul 30 09:37 VIDEO_TS.BUP
-r--r--r--   1 root     root        12288 Jul 30 09:37 VIDEO_TS.IFO
-r--r--r--   1 root     root      1597440 Jul 30 09:26 VIDEO_TS.VOB
-r--r--r--   1 root     root       102400 Jul 30 08:53 VTS_01_0.BUP
-r--r--r--   1 root     root       102400 Jul 30 08:53 VTS_01_0.IFO
-r--r--r--   1 root     root     27762688 Jul 30 08:51 VTS_01_0.VOB
-r--r--r--   1 root     root     1073739776 Jul 30 08:57 VTS_01_1.VOB
-r--r--r--   1 root     root     1073739776 Jul 30 09:02 VTS_01_2.VOB
-r--r--r--   1 root     root     1073739776 Jul 30 09:06 VTS_01_3.VOB
-r--r--r--   1 root     root     784889856 Jul 30 09:09 VTS_01_4.VOB
-r--r--r--   1 root     root     1073739776 Jul 30 09:13 VTS_01_5.VOB
-r--r--r--   1 root     root     1073739776 Jul 30 09:17 VTS_01_6.VOB
-r--r--r--   1 root     root     1073739776 Jul 30 09:21 VTS_01_7.VOB
-r--r--r--   1 root     root     510838784 Jul 30 09:23 VTS_01_8.VOB
[mastersj@periscope VIDEO_TS]$ 


Can someone please help me with this continuing (irritating problem).
There _must_ be more than 8 video files since the file is obviously much
longer.

TIA,
	Jon.

--
Jonathan C. Masters
jonathan@oxlug.org
What I want is all of the power and none of the responsibility.

From laredo@stradis.com Tue, 16 Nov 1999 18:21:37 -0500 (EST)
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 18:21:37 -0500 (EST)
From: nil laredo@stradis.com
Subject: [Livid-dev] ```````````````````````````` Continuing DVD Problem

> 	Thanks for some of the replies that I have received so far.
> Unfortunately nothing has helped - no it isn't double-sided (I think I
> might have noticed and turned it over - just to please, I tried mounting
> the printed side just for the sake of it without success!) - but it is
> double layered. Thanks to the guy who suggested that I was in fact
> seeing both layers and that I should "do the math", however, I'm still
> unable to access any files past the seventh - there must be further
> files on the disc since I just spent over two hours watching the video
> (no fast forward ability) to get to the same point as it was before at
> which point it crashed.

A bug in the iso filesystem prevents reading files properly that are
offset more than 4GB from the start of the disc.   Get the latest
kernel for the fix, or else try the code that was anonymously posted
to the list a while back which seems to read dvd by lba.   It also
appears to work for the Matrix.

-- Nathan Laredo
laredo@gnu.org

From scarabaeus@convergence.de Wed, 17 Nov 1999 09:40:31 +0100
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 09:40:31 +0100
From: Christian Wolff scarabaeus@convergence.de
Subject: [Livid-dev] ```````````````````````````` Continuing DVD Problem

Nathan Laredo wrote:
> A bug in the iso filesystem prevents reading files properly that are
> offset more than 4GB from the start of the disc.   Get the latest
> kernel for the fix, or else try the code that was anonymously posted
> to the list a while back which seems to read dvd by lba.   It also
> appears to work for the Matrix.

Or, even better solution, install the udf filesystem:
http://trylinux.com/projects/udf/

I think, even some of the ISO9660 partition information on DVD discs are
written wrong. UDF is the mandatory DVD-ROM filesystem, ISO will be
dropped in the near future.

-- =

Christian Wolff     *196807101035    53=B08'2" N    8=B013'20" E
http://www.scarabaeus.org/  mailto:scarabaeus@scarabaeus.org
check out http://betalounge.com/   http://www.convergence.de
+49-30-4473 6926,  Norwegerstr. 5.1, D-10439 Berlin, Germany
PGP Fingerprint:B871 358C 3F10 A5ED C41C B1DB B9F9 3C44/2048

From mastersj@periscope-systems.freeserve.co.uk Wed, 17 Nov 1999 10:37:23 +0000
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 10:37:23 +0000
From: Jon Masters mastersj@periscope-systems.freeserve.co.uk
Subject: [Livid-dev] ```````````````````````````` Continuing DVD Problem

Christian Wolff wrote:
> 
> Nathan Laredo wrote:
> > A bug in the iso filesystem prevents reading files properly that are
> > offset more than 4GB from the start of the disc.   Get the latest
> > kernel for the fix, or else try the code that was anonymously posted
> > to the list a while back which seems to read dvd by lba.   It also
> > appears to work for the Matrix.
> 
> Or, even better solution, install the udf filesystem:
> http://trylinux.com/projects/udf/
> 
> I think, even some of the ISO9660 partition information on DVD discs are
> written wrong. UDF is the mandatory DVD-ROM filesystem, ISO will be
> dropped in the near future.

Hi,
	Please note that in my previous mail, I explicitly mention that I _AM_
using UDF already. I really wouldn't bother everyone over something
trivial, but when mounted as a UDF fs, it still will not allow me to see
all the files. I guess there could be abug/whatever with the UDF driver
- Titanic is 3 and a quater hours long+beginning and end music - is it
possible the the UDF stuff hasn't been tested with such a large film?
(not ruling out the possibility that it is something trivial...)

Jon.

-- 
Jonathan C. Masters
jonathan@oxlug.org
What I want is all of the power and none of the responsibility.

			   USENET Archives


The materials and information included in this website may only be used
for purposes such as criticism, review, private study, scholarship, or 
research.


Electronic mail:			      WorldWideWeb:
   tech-insider@outlook.com		         http://tech-insider.org/