Tech Insider					     Technology and Trends


		   Video for Linux Mailing List Archives

List:       linux-video
Subject:    problem with playing from VCR
From:       Pavel Kasparek <pk () ini ! cz>
Date:       1999-11-16 8:28:05

Hi,

I have a problem with playing signal from videorecorder.
If I play signal from the card's TV tuner or from the video TV tuner
everything works fine, without any problems.

But if I play signal from a VHS tape it seems like it has a low
framerate, let's say 10fps, but sometimes movements are smooth, 
sometimes not (sorry for my bad english). It seemes like it has some
problem with synchronisation...
I know that the signal from VCR doesn't have so good synchronisation
as the signal from TV tuner, but if I use Windows program (Tview) for
playing
there is no such problem, it plays smoothly every signal.

The card is TV Capturer CPH033, also known as Askey TVmagic.
I use kernel 2.0.12 and tried bttv drivers ver. 0.6.4, 0.6.4e, f, g
and from kernel source.

The driver autodetects the card as Aimslab VHX, but I have tried other
module parameters card=xxx card types too. The card seems to have BT848A
chip.

The problem is the same when using xawtv or fbtv (on framebuffer
console).
I use S3 Virge/DX graphics card.

Does anybody have similar experience ?

Pavel.
--
Pavel Kasparek, mailto:pk@ini.cz http://pk.ini.cz/
Inicia s.r.o., tel. (02) 20304050, http://www.ini.cz/


-- 
         To unsubscribe: mail video4linux-list-request@redhat.com with 
                       "unsubscribe" as the Subject.

List:       linux-video
Subject:    Re: problem with playing from VCR
From:       Justin Schoeman <justin () suntiger ! ee ! up ! ac ! za>
Date:       1999-11-16 8:36:55

> Hi,
> 
> I have a problem with playing signal from videorecorder.
> If I play signal from the card's TV tuner or from the video TV tuner
> everything works fine, without any problems.
> 
> But if I play signal from a VHS tape it seems like it has a low
> framerate, let's say 10fps, but sometimes movements are smooth, 
> sometimes not (sorry for my bad english). It seemes like it has some
> problem with synchronisation...
> I know that the signal from VCR doesn't have so good synchronisation
> as the signal from TV tuner, but if I use Windows program (Tview) for
> playing
> there is no such problem, it plays smoothly every signal.
> 
> The card is TV Capturer CPH033, also known as Askey TVmagic.
> I use kernel 2.0.12 and tried bttv drivers ver. 0.6.4, 0.6.4e, f, g
> and from kernel source.
> 
> The driver autodetects the card as Aimslab VHX, but I have tried other
> module parameters card=xxx card types too. The card seems to have BT848A
> chip.
> 
> The problem is the same when using xawtv or fbtv (on framebuffer
> console).
> I use S3 Virge/DX graphics card.
> 
> Does anybody have similar experience ?
> 
> Pavel.
> --
> Pavel Kasparek, mailto:pk@ini.cz http://pk.ini.cz/
> Inicia s.r.o., tel. (02) 20304050, http://www.ini.cz/

I think everybody who has tried a VCR has had the same problems.  I know I 
have.  I haven't tested it under windows though - the fact that it works under 
windows is rather surprising, and seems to indicate that something isn't being 
set up properly... Maybe VACTIVE is marignally too long, or something like 
that.  Does anybody have some ideas?  I have tried to figure this out before, 
but to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

-justin


-- 
         To unsubscribe: mail video4linux-list-request@redhat.com with 
                       "unsubscribe" as the Subject.

List:       linux-video
Subject:    Re: problem with playing from VCR
From:       Jonathan H N Chin <jc254 () newton ! cam ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1999-11-16 14:24:01

>> I know that the signal from VCR doesn't have so good synchronisation
>> as the signal from TV tuner, but if I use Windows program (Tview) for
>> playing
>> there is no such problem, it plays smoothly every signal.

>I think everybody who has tried a VCR has had the same problems.  I know I 
>have.  I haven't tested it under windows though - the fact that it works under 
>windows is rather surprising, and seems to indicate that something isn't being 
>set up properly... Maybe VACTIVE is marignally too long, or something like 
>that.  Does anybody have some ideas?  I have tried to figure this out before, 
>but to no avail.


Can anyone else confirm that cards that don't behave "properly"
under linux do behave under Windows?

I know that in my case (WinTV) under linux the card displays to the
screen (xawtv) quite happily, but attempting to record (streamer
or mp1e) gives bogus results. I would like to test under Windows,
but I don't have it installed.

Someone else posted previously about "expensive" boxes that can be
used to fix up the signal. If I were to look for such a box, what
technical term(s) should I expect to find being used in advertisements?


thank you,

-jonathan


-- 
         To unsubscribe: mail video4linux-list-request@redhat.com with 
                       "unsubscribe" as the Subject.

 List:       linux-video
Subject:    Re: problem with playing from VCR
From:       Brian Ristuccia <brianr-v4l () osiris ! 978 ! org>
Date:       1999-11-16 20:09:08

On Tue, Nov 16, 1999 at 02:24:01PM +0000, Jonathan H N Chin wrote:
> >> I know that the signal from VCR doesn't have so good synchronisation
> >> as the signal from TV tuner, but if I use Windows program (Tview) for
> >> playing
> >> there is no such problem, it plays smoothly every signal.
> 
> >I think everybody who has tried a VCR has had the same problems.  I know I 
> >have.  I haven't tested it under windows though - the fact that it works under 
> >windows is rather surprising, and seems to indicate that something isn't being 
> >set up properly... Maybe VACTIVE is marignally too long, or something like 
> >that.  Does anybody have some ideas?  I have tried to figure this out before, 
> >but to no avail.
> 
> 
> Can anyone else confirm that cards that don't behave "properly"
> under linux do behave under Windows?
> 
> I know that in my case (WinTV) under linux the card displays to the
> screen (xawtv) quite happily, but attempting to record (streamer
> or mp1e) gives bogus results. I would like to test under Windows,
> but I don't have it installed.
> 
> Someone else posted previously about "expensive" boxes that can be
> used to fix up the signal. If I were to look for such a box, what
> technical term(s) should I expect to find being used in advertisements?
> 

The device is called a time base corrector. I'm not sure if it's the devices
primary function to fill in the missing even/odd frames and freeze the last
known good frame until a synced frame comes along, but every one I've used
at the local access television facility has this (side) effect.

-- 
Brian Ristuccia
brianr@osiris.978.org
bristucc@nortelnetworks.com
bristucc@cs.uml.edu


-- 
         To unsubscribe: mail video4linux-list-request@redhat.com with 
                       "unsubscribe" as the Subject.

			        About USENET

USENET (Users’ Network) was a bulletin board shared among many computer
systems around the world. USENET was a logical network, sitting on top
of several physical networks, among them UUCP, BLICN, BERKNET, X.25, and
the ARPANET. Sites on USENET included many universities, private companies
and research organizations. See USENET Archives.

		       SCO Files Lawsuit Against IBM

March 7, 2003 - The SCO Group filed legal action against IBM in the State 
Court of Utah for trade secrets misappropriation, tortious interference, 
unfair competition and breach of contract. The complaint alleges that IBM 
made concentrated efforts to improperly destroy the economic value of 
UNIX, particularly UNIX on Intel, to benefit IBM's Linux services 
business. See SCO v IBM.

The materials and information included in this website may only be used
for purposes such as criticism, review, private study, scholarship, or
research.

Electronic mail:			       WorldWideWeb:
   tech-insider@outlook.com			  http://tech-insider.org/