From lennon@igrin.co.nz Tue, 21 Dec 1999 09:07:56 +1300
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 09:07:56 +1300
From: Craig Whitmore lennon@igrin.co.nz
Subject: [Livid-dev] Re: ac3 decoding?

Whats the legal status of the ac3 decoding stuff?

Thanks
Craig Whitmore (craig@igrin.co.nz)
iGRIN Internet (http://www.igrin.co.nz)
Phone: + 64 9 430 3540    Fax: + 64 9 430 3775

From maroberts@dial.pipex.com Mon, 20 Dec 1999 23:27:21 +0000
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 23:27:21 +0000
From: Mark Roberts maroberts@dial.pipex.com

Craig Whitmore wrote:

> Whats the legal status of the ac3 decoding stuff?
>
> Thanks
> Craig Whitmore (craig@igrin.co.nz)
> iGRIN Internet (http://www.igrin.co.nz)
> Phone: + 64 9 430 3540    Fax: + 64 9 430 3775

AFAIK, both AC3 and MPEG2 decoding are perfectly legal.

Only the legality of css-auth is disputed [not necessily illegal, just
that we cannot afford a huge legal bill to test the case in court].

Regards
Mark Roberts