From miles@amazon.com
Sender: miles@amazon.com
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 21:52:31 -0800
From: Miles Lane <miles@amazon.com>
To: gnome-list@gnome.org
Subject: Micro$oft-style dragable, resizable, stackable menu/button bars.

Hi,

One of the nice UI elements Micro$oft has come up with
is the menubar/buttonbar UI class that enables dragging,
resizing and stacking of menu/buttonbars.

These bars were initially implemented and used in IE 4.0.
As soon as I saw them, I thought "that's how menu and
buttonbars should always work!"

Netscape has its expanding and contracting bars, but they
aren't nearly as nice to use.  For example, you can't
stack and resize bars.  You can reorder them vertically,
but they always run the width of the window.  They can't
share a single row with another bar.  Micro$oft's bars
even allow a user to drag bars on a shared row to reorder
the bars in the row.

In IE and some of M$'s other software, clicking on the
lower edge of a buttonbar and dragging the edge up or
down causes the text under the buttons to be displayed
or hidden.  I really like this feature.

This cannot be rocket science.  I am amazed that this
functionality isn't in Gnome already.  This is an area
where Gnome is running behind Micro$oft in usability.

Let's get this in and take another hunk out of M$'s
desktop usability lead.

	Miles

> > This cannot be rocket science.  I am amazed that this
> > functionality isn't in Gnome already.  This is an area
> > where Gnome is running behind Micro$oft in usability.
>
> Tried this with Gnumeric's toolbars, by any chance?  :)

Okeedokee.  I had not seem them before.  They are close
to what I am talking about, but not all the way there.

Specifically, Micro$soft's button/menubars support
hiding some of the right-hand portion of a tool/menubar.
For example, is I stack two buttonbars in a single row
and there isn't room for both bars to be displayed in
their entirety, one (or both?) of the bars can be placed
such that some of the bar buttons scroll off the end of
the bar.  In place of having everything be visable, this
symbol ">>" indicates that something is not seen.  Clicking
on the ">>" symbol scrolls the buttons to the left, unhiding
the hidden buttons.  Obviously, as the buttons get scrolled,
a "<<" symbol shows up on the lefthand side of the bar
so the user can scroll back.

Also, when a window is resized horizontally, the ">>"
symbol will appear as the toolbar shrinks to fit in the
window and a some of the toolbar buttons become hidden.
This is really quite nicely implemented and works very
intuitively and smoothly.

Also, the ability to hide and unhide the button labels
by dragging the bar's lower edge up and down does not
appear to be there.

That said, "Woohoo!"  It's looking much, much better!

Thanks,
	Miles

>Specifically, Micro$soft's button/menubars support
>hiding some of the right-hand portion of a tool/menubar.
>For example, is I stack two buttonbars in a single row
>and there isn't room for both bars to be displayed in
>their entirety, one (or both?) of the bars can be placed
>such that some of the bar buttons scroll off the end of
>the bar.  In place of having everything be visable, this
>symbol ">>" indicates that something is not seen.  Clicking
>on the ">>" symbol scrolls the buttons to the left, unhiding
>the hidden buttons.  Obviously, as the buttons get scrolled,
>a "<<" symbol shows up on the lefthand side of the bar
>so the user can scroll back.

>Also, when a window is resized horizontally, the ">>"
>symbol will appear as the toolbar shrinks to fit in the
>window and a some of the toolbar buttons become hidden.
>This is really quite nicely implemented and works very
>intuitively and smoothly.

Don't take this the wrong way; I'm trying to offer constructive criticism.

See the Interface Hall of Shame for why this is a bad idea:

http://www.iarchitect.com/mshame.htm

The concept of the button bar is that commonly accessed menu items are one
click away versus the two to three clicks required to access a menu item.  When
you introduce the concept of a scrolling button bar you might as well just
force the user to use the menubar, because the utility of the button bar is
completely lost.  Think of the example where the button bar is twice as wide as
the application.  How much time will it take the user to find the icon for his
or her task?  How do you indicate what portion of the virtual button bar is
visible?  And what if you wrap the button bar to a stack of button bars?  How
useful is it to stare at more than a dozen different icons, moving your mouse
from icon to icon trying to discern the function of each from their tooltips?
Since you have to resort to reading text, you might as well use the menubar.

I'm not against new features, but introducing new user interface concepts just
for the technical challenge is a straw man argument when you want your
grandmother to be using GNOME.

I think WinXX is easy to use, but its abuse of button bars (and also tabbed
regions) does not help matters.

John

--
John GOTTS <jgotts@linuxsavvy.com>  http://www.linuxsavvy.com/staff/jgotts