From pvolcko@concentric.net Sun, 6 Feb 2000 12:03:48 -0500 (EST)
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 12:03:48 -0500 (EST)
From: pvolcko@concentric.net pvolcko@concentric.net
Subject: [Livid-dev] question

At LWE, specifically the friday morning panel discussion on DeCSS/DVD the DMCA
rep said that the reverse engineering clauses only apply to computer
programs, not media such as movies or CDs.  The eff lawyers and everyone else
really didn't dissagree with him.

Now, on the OVD list we were dicsussing what the PGCI and NV Pack information
was ideologically, a program or malign data (yes they are both the same
physically, but in use they are different).  We pretty much agreed that the
PGCI and other stream control mechanisms were in fact program codes.  The PGCI
information in an IFO file specify a set fo very dicrete and specific
instructions for the dvd player "VM" to execute.  The NV pack information
in part controls parts of the video display subsystem and overall stream
playback.  These two sentences describe the very definition of what a program
is.

So can the claim not be made that REing CSS in fact was a necessary step to
achieve interoperability of the DVD program structures under a linux version
of a DVD player Virtual machine?  Thus the reverse engineering exception
clauses in the DMCA do in fact apply to the DeCSS program *and it's
derivitives*.

Now the exception(s) may apply due to some other reason, but I've never heard
it said in quite this way.  When thought about in the terms described above,
it seems to me that there is absolutely no question that the exceptions apply
here.

Sorry to bring up a decidedly legal issue on the list, but it is very specific
to livid in that livid becomes the example DVD Player Virtual Machine for
linux.

Paul Volcko
LSDVD

PS - As a side note, if this reasoning does indeed prove the point, then we
have the DVD Forum itself to the thank.  Their inclusion of such control
information in the VOB stream and in the IFO files makes a DVD-Video disc
itself a program.  Their absolute need to control even the viewing experience
during playback (ie no skipping FBI warnings and commercials and
whatnot) becomes their legal downfall.