To: nylug-talk@nylug.org, nylug-announce@nylug.org
Subject: [nylug-talk] Dr. Eben Moglin, Columbia Law School, on DVD & OpenSource
From: Jim Gleason <jgleason@electriclichen.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 00:52:05 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-nylug-talk@electriclichen.com

        *** New York Linux Users Group February Meeting ***

			   - NYLUG.org -

	Dr. Eben Moglin, Columbia Law Professor and General
	Counsel to the Free Software Foundation, discusses
		       DVD and OpenSource.

Wed. 2/16/00
6:00-7:40pm
IBM Building
590 Madison Avenue at 57th Street
Check in at lobby for badge and room number.

*note* This meeting starts one half hour earlier than usual.

---------------------------- The Deal -------------------------------------

Until recently, the only computers on which a person could play DVD movies
were Macintosh and Windows systems. Deeming the Linux market to be to small,
the DVD consortium did not release any documentation for vendors to create
products. In order to get his Linux machine to play DVD, Jon Johansson, a 16
year old in Norway, reversed engineered the CSS algorithm which encrypts DVD
content. Police staged a surprise raid on his home, confiscated computer and
telephone equipment, arrested both Jon and his father and according to
Johansson, subjected them to questioning for approximately 6-7 hours
apparently without a lawyer. It is reported that the charges carry fines
and prison terms of up to two years.

Since then, hundreds of defendants from around the world have been named in
a lawsuit by the DVD Copy Control Association, a non-profit organization
which represents the motion picture industry. The lawsuits aim to stop
people from carrying or even linking to websites that carry the
de-encryption code.

CNN reports that it took years for the movie industry to agree to this
encryption standard and that Johansson's code fosters piracy. Opendvd.org
claims the code is not against the law because the DMCA (Digital Millenium
Copyright Act) clearly states that "reverse-engineering on the basis of
interoperability" is legal.

Join us on Wednesday night, 2/16, when Dr. Eben Moglin discusses DVD and
Open Souce. Dr. Moglin is a professor at Columbia Law School specializing in
legal history and computer law and has been a designer and implementer of
advanced computer languages at I.B.M. He received his J.D. and PH.D. from
Yale University and serves without fee as general counsel to the Free
Software Foundation. His publications and other information can be found on
his homepage at http://emoglen.law.columbia.edu

Note that Dr. Moglin must leave at 7:40pm, so let's all please focus our
questions and make efficient use of his time.

-----------------
Stand-by Marchers
NYLUG.org is receiving sign-ups for people who can make themselves available
on short-notice to march peacefully in front of the courthouse should the
MPAA choose New York City as a jurisdiction for its next hearing. If you
want to become a stand-by marcher, please send me email at: jim@valinux.com.

-------------------------------
After the Meeting... Stammtisch

Join us around 8:00pm or so at the Typhoon Brewery and Restaurant located
at 22 East 54th Street between Madsion and 5th Aves.

--------------
Swag Give-Away

Mucho leftovers from LinuxWorld Expo. Come and get 'em.

----------------------------------
Where & When is the NYLUG Meeting?

With the generous support of IBM, all regular NY-LUG meetings are held at
the main IBM building at 590 Madison Avenue at 57th Street in mid-town
Manhattan every third Wednesday of the month starting at 6:30pm. All
meetings are free and open to the public.

nylug-talk@nylug.org

Thanks to Eric Berg, we now have sortable archives from 1999 and in new
millenium. Check it out at: www.nylug.org

--------
Contacts

Jim Gleason, President, jgleason@nylug.com
Eric Berg, Vice President, eberg@nylug.org

--------------
What is Linux?
http://www.nylug.org/about_linux.html

------------------
What is NYLUG.org?

NYLUG (www.nylug.org) is New York's Linux Users Group supporting all
things Linux and Open Source in the New York metro area. Please feel
free to contact me if you have any questions about the NYLUG.org.

Special Thanks

Many thanks go out to Peter Norton and Barry Hughes, NYLUG's lead
engineers at LinuxWorld Expo, and all of the other NYLUGGERS who
volunteered. It was a huge success. Good job everybody!

Jim Gleason		  VA Linux Systems
email: jim@valinux.com 	  http://www.valinux.com
phone: 212-858-7684 	  President, New York Linux Users Group
fax: 212-858-7685         http://www.nylug.org